Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Job Offer + 15 % and Much More Work

I would go for it if it wasnt something you hated doing. I have passed up several good opportunities because I was comfortable where I was and was to lazy to make a change(not saying thats you, just it was me). I regret passing on them. Im in my early 30's and would be a lot better off if I had taken a chance. I agree to bank the difference, but having that cushion is pretty alright.

Best of luck either way you go... :cheers:

The money in itself probably wouldn't make me change jobs (unless it was just a huge jump), though of course from a time value of money perspective, money put aside early in your career is worth more to you down the road than money earned later. There is certainly alot to be said for being able to take all of your vacation, as well as having a low baseline stress level.

But, I always thought that as an engineer when you start getting too comfortable and the challenge goes out of what you are doing it is time to find something new to work on. So if you have a chance to go do interesting work (that you enjoy) and advance your skills, that is a hard thing to pass up. Remember in high tech fields skills are perishable and you stop learning new things at your peril.

Take it! You are living in an area where there are several matches within short to long range driving every weekend. Dry fire like a beast, be honest with yourself as far as your vision is concerned, and keep your stuff ready to go to the range at a moments notice. You can then work, shoot and enjoy both. Your desire to excel at both could be a nice fire under your behind. I'm working two jobs with one company about to really take off in a different direction. Looking at more hours, more pay, with three kids. Yeah, I'm going with that one. The range is between work and home. I will make it work. Good luck, drive on dude!

JZ

One day you wake up and say what good did it really do....

A decent style of living and a little extra is enough... IMO anyway....

I have done over 4000 hours a year for 16 of the last 20 years and I look around me and wonder why.

I have always went where the money is (off shift/travel/overtime) and I envy (but could never) settle for a lower overall pay lower hours type work with more time off, my balance of work/leisure has always been badly skewed toward work. At 48 I look around and have no idea why I have always worked harder, as it hasn't got me anywhere. I would think you would be better off not chasing a dollar, go with the job that you will enjoy the most, and keep a balance of work to leisure. But I have never been able to that, I'm a plow horse, I would not recommend my path. I work for money and find satifaction in hobbys, real satisfaction in work would be amazing.

Take a look at the total picture.

Do you enjoy your work? Do you have good hours? Is it a stable company that treats you well? Do you have a good boss? Does your current compensation allow you to enjoy life at a comfortable level and invest in your future? If the answer to these questions is yes, give the nod to your current employer. They have invested in you, treated you well, and compensated you fairly. There is something to be said for that. Not all companies are evil. Some actually value people. If you find one of those companies, stick with it. You'll be glad later.

I'm in my late 20s right now.

I was trained as an embedded software engineer, which I really love doing on a daily basis. I lost many friends and g/f's working long hours though. I made the switch to application programming, which is fairly less stressful at my current company. The new job is fast pace embedded work.

I just called and turned the job down, they countered with another 5% increase. I think I will turn it down again come tomorrow.

How the hell am I going to make GM (or even C for that matter) if I am working all the time? I can already afford to live, shoot, reload, pay bills, and save.

I'd take the new job, but I'm biased, I also work in embedded and love it. If it were just more money for more of the same work, it'd be a tradeoff, but since it's work you love and has better advancement opportunities, it would be hard for me to pass up.

I appreciate the advice everyone, I really do.

I am still in negotiations with the company. Actually, I declined 3 times and they've countered 3 times.

I've been calling up all of my engineering friends, many that have worked or do work at the prospective company. The consensus between all of them was to stay where I am at due to a massive work / life imbalance, little chance of promotion, and very little job stability (all things which my current company provides and prides themselves on).

Tuition reimbursement is a huge factor on my mind too. I am half way through my MS and my current company will fit the bill to finish it, the other company will not. I also know I have plenty of time for school right now which would disappear if I left.

I know other opportunities will arise, and at this point if I take a job I would rather it be out of state. I have been in my current position for less than a year, and have already leveraged myself to choose what I work on. The work itself is extremely rewarding too (unmanned aircraft), something that I know doesn't exist at every workplace.

• 4 weeks later...

In your twenties learn as much as you can,

In your thirties take as many risks as you can,

In forties earn as much as you can,

In fifties and sixties cruise through knowing you lived life to the fullest.

R. Murdoch might has said it, but it works.

Reading through it all I hope you stayed. When a company offers top dollar it is for one of 2 reasons : They can't get good people any other way because they have few benefits & a bad work environment or they expect to run your ass into the ground with 70 hr work weeks.

The problem is that most companies once you get there will not keep your compensation at market level. You have to leave to get paid what you are worth.

Hang in there until you get done with school. Then look around.

Just curious - it's been a few weeks since the last update - any decision yet?

Tom

I turned them down twice. The salary increase ended up a tad over 30%.

In your twenties learn as much as you can,

In your thirties take as many risks as you can,

In forties earn as much as you can,

In fifties and sixties cruise through knowing you lived life to the fullest.

R. Murdoch might has said it, but it works.

You know, this is actually how I am directing myself. :cheers:

Go with your gut feeling - it's never wrong.

be

You are absolutely right. My gut told me to stay which I did. I am as happy as can be right now and do not have a single thing to complain about.

Reading through it all I hope you stayed. When a company offers top dollar it is for one of 2 reasons : They can't get good people any other way because they have few benefits & a bad work environment or they expect to run your ass into the ground with 70 hr work weeks.

After asking many Senior guys around my office and from my previous job, they all concluded that it sounded like an 80hr/week trap. I was able to get in touch with several of my connections, they told me if I ever see them at a restaurant nearby at 9ish at night that is likely their 2nd quick break before going back to work.

I feel like I hit the lottery at my current job. Relaxed working hours, little stress, freedom to make your own decisions, loose management, great pay and benefits. After I turned the new job down, I felt so much happier and couldn't care less about the money.