Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Job Offer + 15 % and Much More Work

I just got a job offer for a major engineering company. The pay increase would be slightly below 15% from where I am now, but I am sure the work pace and hours would pick up dramatically.

What would you in Enos Land do? Stay put and enjoy free time and vacations with a decent salary, or pick up the extra salary and new job knowing you will probably forfeit more free time and gain stress?

Also, the skills gained in the new job will take me almost anywhere I want to go in the country after a year or two (Like, outside of California, for instance).

I think I already know my answer, I just want to hear from others.

Edited by feederic

Everything you stated are about the conditions now, base on that I'd stay put. Are you considering the future promotional opportunities at both companies, the work and training experience for the next move, etc... It's never such a simple decision.

I used to think, 'nose to the grindstone,' work your way up, etc. I did that for about 15 years, working stupid hours and making other people a lot of $.

Now I'm in the 'make enough to pay the bills and support your hobbies/habits, go to Maui every year and visit HI5-O, save a little for retirement, and actually enjoy the time I have left' camp.

$ buys you stuff. Stuff is great but it's not worth dreading every M-F (if you're lucky and can get everything done in five days), having the spare tire around my waist, high blood pressure, etc. JMO, of course.

Stay put - being happy counts for A LOT!!!!!!!

True, I learned this at my first job.

Everything you stated are about the conditions now, base on that I'd stay put. Are you considering the future promotional opportunities at both companies, the work and training experience for the next move, etc... It's never such a simple decision.

I have solid promotional opportunities where I am currently at, but I am not sure skill growth is a real possibility.

That's where the second company comes in, their solid training and progressive nature would skyrocket me from a good mid-level engineer to a solid senior engineer.

If the new job will give you new skills and make you more marketable, do it. If you don't want that, then stay put.

As i always tell people, "Not everyone gets to be an astronaut."

If the new job would get me out of Kalifornia, I'd stand on my head for a year. The extra money would be nice, but it sounds like the real "draw" lies in the potential for increased experience, knowledge, and marketability.

Another factor is your age. If you're in your late-40s or younger, I'd go for the new job; otherwise I'd stay put. The younger you are, the more time you have to reap the benefits of increased experience and marketability. If you're approaching retirement age, you'd have less time to enjoy the "payback" provided by the new job.

In the "old days" management would harp on employee loyalty to avoid losing hard working employees when they failed to give decent raises and allow time with the family. Many that fell for that trap (including me) would say "go for the money".

That extra 15% pay over the next few years, if you are able to put it in the bank, will open more opportunities.

And if this will help you escape Kalifornia, its just icing on the cake.

Bill

One day you wake up and say what good did it really do....

A decent style of living and a little extra is enough... IMO anyway....

I have done over 4000 hours a year for 16 of the last 20 years and I look around me and wonder why.

I'm in my late 20s right now.

I was trained as an embedded software engineer, which I really love doing on a daily basis. I lost many friends and g/f's working long hours though. I made the switch to application programming, which is fairly less stressful at my current company. The new job is fast pace embedded work.

I just called and turned the job down, they countered with another 5% increase. I think I will turn it down again come tomorrow.

How the hell am I going to make GM (or even C for that matter) if I am working all the time? I can already afford to live, shoot, reload, pay bills, and save.

If the new job would get me out of Kalifornia, I'd stand on my head for a year. The extra money would be nice, but it sounds like the real "draw" lies in the potential for increased experience, knowledge, and marketability.

Another factor is your age. If you're in your late-40s or younger, I'd go for the new job; otherwise I'd stay put. The younger you are, the more time you have to reap the benefits of increased experience and marketability. If you're approaching retirement age, you'd have less time to enjoy the "payback" provided by the new job.

My thoughts pretty much. Never be afraid to change jobs. I am actually back at a company I spent 9 years with and left for 10 before coming back. Don't regret it.

I'd keep focusing on the getting out of Kali part but that's just me and if your young, single and able to do it that would make it an easy choice for me. It's not the money as much as the windfall of skills and ability to work where you want in the future.

I was trained as an embedded software engineer, which I really love doing on a daily basis. I lost many friends and g/f's working long hours though. I made the switch to application programming, which is fairly less stressful at my current company. The new job is fast pace embedded work.

I just called and turned the job down, they countered with another 5% increase. I think I will turn it down again come tomorrow.

How the hell am I going to make GM (or even C for that matter) if I am working all the time? I can already afford to live, shoot, reload, pay bills, and save.

If I were in my late 20s with the prospect of a 20% pay raise and increased experience and marketability, I'd be all over that new job.

You're still very young - now is the time to put in the hours and make some good bank. My oldest son is just a couple years younger than you and I'd tell him to go for the money. Get your retirement financed and start socking away extra for a rainy day and you'll never regret the security you build for yourself. There will be plenty of time to f*#& off once you're set financially.

Unless of course, you were lucky in birth and have rich parents or a trust fund waiting on you. Me, I wasn't that fortunate and had to bust my ass for every damn penny.

If it were me, given your age and the opportunity to grow into an advanced engineering position in the new company, I would take the offer.

I've worked in the automotive industry for the past 30+ years, currently as a systems manager. Application programming is "commodity" work that we can buy anywhere - the vast majority of it is being outsourced to companies in India and China that we pay $25/hour for programmers with masters degrees. The engineering work is all done in-house with our own employees.

I expect that you'll have more opportunity - and potentially more stable employment - as an embedded s/w engineer than you would as an application programmer.

Just my 2 cents.

Tom

I'm only 33, so that puts me in the middle of the age where this decision would be hardest. If you're only 20 and they just bumped it to 20% and it offers massive skill increase (which equals more money in the future!) and it gets you out of Cali....

I'm gonna go ahead and say it.

What the hell are you waiting for?!?!?

Never pass up a good employment offer for fear of losing your hobbies. The hobby will be there, always. Imagine coming out the other side with the ability to put 3 or more 1050s in a sick reloading room with a massive safe of firearms to feed. Shelves upon shelves of components... Maybe some land to shoot on.... Dude the list goes on and on and on.

You will regret it when you have a wife or kids or whatever later on and the opportunity for financial growth might not be there.....

Just my opinion.

ETA: re read and saw you said late 20s. My opinion stands. Take it.

Edited by DoubleL

stay where you are, and use the free time to take some classes and get your own skill growth....

Other side of the coin though if the new job will really expand and help you down the road.. Suck it up for a couple years. Then look for an easier life. One word of caution. Whatever the pay raise is BANK IT DONT SPEND IT. If you adjust your lifestyle to the higher income suddenly that higher income is a necessity and can trap you.

Take it, increase your skills and marketablility and if in the year or 2 you don't like where you are, find a different job and take it. You should be able to deal with 2 less than perfect years doing something that you might not like as well to have the chance to land your great,final, I like where I am at, job in your early 30's and settle down. Best of luck, either way!

Alan

Edited by 3gungeezer