Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and ditching the little Asian boy, Ly.

(That's a reference to a book my stepmother has from when she was a kid that talks about adverbs.)

E.g., drive safe.

On this, I sad disagree with Ms. Stamper's colleague: http://www.merriam-webster.com/video/0030-flatadverbs.htm

When there's an adverbial form of an adjective (such as with safe and safely), it's just lucking fazy to not use it. When there's not (such as with early and late (lately has its own meaning)), flatly adverbalize away.

Another one I hate: your's.

"Your" is already possessive and "your is" makes no sense, unless the writer means "yore's", in which case it's a nonstandard usage of "yore".

A long time ago, we received a brass door knocker as a gift--the inscription: "The Carmoney's." The error bugged me, but it was a nice gesture, so we hung the thing up. That door knocker is still on the door of our house, more than 20 years later. :)

"Your" is already possessive and "your is" makes no sense, unless the writer means "yore's", in which case it's a nonstandard usage of "yore".

A long time ago, we received a brass door knocker as a gift--the inscription: "The Carmoney's." The error bugged me, but it was a nice gesture, so we hung the thing up. That door knocker is still on the door of our house, more than 20 years later. :)

:roflol:

Nice.

But not inaccurate.

Edited by diehli

I take all of the above*...if I could just get my gf to use a proper noun every so often so I know WTF she is talking about! An actual subject in the sentence would be nice too.blink.gif

* I am sure I am guilt of many of the evils mentioned. Including the one I mentioned. :)

Nice.

But not inaccurate.

The house belongs to the Carmoneys. It is the Carmoneys' house.

Probably too common to even be worth mentioning:

Your vs You're. Daily misuse.

Also, the world literally, which brings to mind this picture:

20d0395b4ea968e89d15754fb45b8a1b.png

"I literally jumped out of my skin!"

"I literally love cats!"

"I'm literally dying from allergies right now.."

Nice.

But not inaccurate.

The house belongs to the Carmoneys. It is the Carmoneys' house.

I understand completely, but if you abstract a bit, you're the Carmoney and your wife is the _____-Carmoney (that is, you're only natural-born Carmoney that owns the place (assuming the kids haven't been put on the title)).

It was funnier when I thought that it was a wedding gift (somehow I got that impression the first time I read it), so there was the obvious misspelling and then there was the more subtle, ominous hint.

:blush:

Also, the world literally, which brings to mind this picture:

20d0395b4ea968e89d15754fb45b8a1b.png

"I literally jumped out of my skin!"

"I literally love cats!"

"I'm literally dying from allergies right now.."

Probably too common to even be worth mentioning:

Your vs You're. Daily misuse.

Had to laugh at this one, because I was sent a picture of an older teacher with the black board (remember those?) showing the value of punctuation.

Knowing Your S#!%

and

Knowing You're S#!%!

I take all of the above*...if I could just get my gf to use a proper noun every so often so I know WTF she is talking about! An actual subject in the sentence would be nice too.blink.gif

* I am sure I am guilt of many of the evils mentioned. Including the one I mentioned. :)

You should literally orientate your(you're) GF and conversate on the the advise and impotence of proper nouns irregardless of your(yore,you're) verbalising usage and proper subjugation of the afore(four)mentioned subject matter(madder). 'Nuff said. :D

• 5 months later...

"should of" vs "should have"

Please don't type "should of" when you really mean "should've"

Should've is the contraction of Should and have. typing should of when you mean should've makes you sound as ignorant as those that misuse the words their, there, they're, it's, its, hear, here.