Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ad·vice

   [ad-vahys] Show IPAnoun1.an opinion or recommendation offered as a guide to action,conduct, etc.: I shall act on your advice.</h2>

ad·vise

[ad-vahyz] verb, -vised, -vis·ing.verb (used with object)1.to give counsel to; offer an opinion or suggestion as worthfollowing: I advise you to be cautious.

Edited by Sarge

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Irregardless of this...

There are so many similar misuses of words. I am not all that well educated, but when I read some posts or letters to the editor (Or contracts and legal paperwork) I am appalled by what passes for intelligent writing. Spell checker has contributed to this, but just plain I don't care laziness is, I believe the major culprit.

There, They're, Their. Two, To. Too. Ours, Hours. I see this so many times it just saddens me.

A number of years back, more than I care to think about, I attended a class where we had to deliver a two minute speech on a subject of our choosing. I forget mine, but I remember clearly that of a fellow student. His pet peeve as it were, was the misuse of words and how this was destroying our ability to communicate clearly. The word he chose was Anticipate and that this word is rarely if ever used any longer in the proper manner.

I struggle daily to use the correct words to describe tools, and various parts in my industry in spite of people using all sorts of slang to describe the particular item. This works fine within the industry, but when one describes the problem to the customer or needs to go to a general parts supply and ask for

the item it make one look more than somewhat less knowledgeable.

In other words, I feel your pain!

A friend was teaching a freshman English course at a community college in Kansas several years ago. Since this was his first attempt at teaching, he asked for feedback after the first week of class. He showed me the reply from one of his students:

'Your going to fast."

Sadly, it seems he must have been. At least for this fellow......

Cripes, don't get me started:

your-you're

there-their-they're

its-it's

(and, as the 3 above indicate, a general lack of knowledge about how to use possessives)

lose-loose

capital-capitol

dissent-descent-decent

et cetera, ad nauseum

not understanding how to use a comma when addressing someone (e.g. "that's wrong, dumbass" not "that's wrong dumbass"... there is a difference)

I'd complain about people that don't capitalize, but the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse amuses me.

I'd complain about people that don't capitalize, but the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse amuses me.

Dude, you really need to post a warning before busting out something so funny.bow.gifroflol.gif

OK, I concede, 'Irregardless' is a word, however it is not one that one should use as explained by the very intelligent young lady in the posted link above.

Regardless is the preferred word to use when one would want to use 'irregardless'.

OK, I concede, 'Irregardless' is a word, however it is not one that one should use as explained by the very intelligent young lady in the posted link above.

Regardless is the preferred word to use when one would want to use 'irregardless'.

"Irregardless" is a combination of "irrespective" and "regardless," but is in fact not a word.

"Irregardless" is a combination of "irrespective" and "regardless," but is in fact not a word.

And you are, in fact, wrong.

From Webster's online dictionary

irregardless

Popularity

ir·re·gard·less adv \ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\

Definition of IRREGARDLESS

nonstandard

: regardless

Usage Discussion of IRREGARDLESS

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

Examples of IRREGARDLESS

I told them that irregardless of what you read in books, they's some members of the theatrical profession that occasionally visits the place where they sleep. —Ring Lardner, The Big Town, 1921

Origin of IRREGARDLESS

probably blend of irrespective and regardless

First Known Use: circa 1912

Browse

Next Word in the Dictionary: irregenerate

Previous Word in the Dictionary: irreg

All Words Near: irregardless

Seen & Heard

What made you want to look up irregardless? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).

View Seen & Heard highlights from around the site »

Merriam-Webster on Facebook

Test Your Vocabulary

Take Our 10-Question Quiz

Edited by Neomet

We find slang in the dictionary too. It's non-standard word.

Falling into the same category of arguable misuse as "anyways" vs anyway, "thusly" vs thus, "in regards to", vs in regard to, etc.

Edited by Jeanjacket

Here are two mistakes that particularly annoy me: "Pistol for sell" and "Were are you going?"

I am also tired of hearing otherwise intelligent people say, "I seen this" and "I seen that" to describe the various things they saw.

One that particularly irritates my wife: "orientate"

(One of her job duties is to orient new employees.)