Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 - Do I Need One?

So I put a pistol up for sale/trade with one of the trade options being a Dillon 1050. I got an offer of a new 1050 (used once) setup in 40 and 9mm, and includes other extras (don't know details yet). Now I'm wondering if I really want one, or do I really need one?

Experience: I've been loading almost exclusively 40 S&W, just a little 9mm on a SDB since 2006. I am an engineer and don't mind complex machines. I am patient and good at fixing things that break or get out of adjustment.

Questions: Do I really need 8 stations to load 40? I seem to do just fine with four stations on my SDB. I understand swaging 9mm brass could be necessary if military brass is mixed in. Does the 1050 do anything special if an NT case comes around? The NT (Non Toxic) cases seem to leave part of the primer cups behind and then I ruin a new primer trying to seat it. I don't like sorting brass.

Currently I only shoot about 4000 rounds per year. I don't mind loading on the SDB. It's a good machine and turns out quality ammo. I spend about 1-2 hours in front of the machine each month. Even at half the loading rate, the 1050 will produce my annual ammo needs in an afternoon or two. Someday though, my son might get interested in shooting and my ammo consumption might double. He's 7 now, so maybe this would be in about 5 years.

What would you do?

I think once you got a progressive, you would wonder how you survived without it. A 1050 might be overkill. OK, it's overkill. :) But time is money, and a 1050 will save you a lot of time.

Worst case scenario is you get the press, hate it, sell it for every penny you paid for it, and go back to the SDB.

No, you don't need one but why try to justify it from a purely practical point of view? When I was going through the 550/650/1050 decision I was asking the same thing; 'gee, I only shoot 3,000 rounds per month should I get a 1050?' type of thing. One guy posted he shoots only 1,000 rounds a year and bought a 1050 because that's what he wants to reload on. Makes sense to me. :)

I don't know what your gun is worth but if if you offered to trade for a 1050 and you shoot 9 & 40 and someone is offering a 1050 setup for 9 & 40 sounds like a match made in heaven.

If you look at this logicaly, besides the cool factor of the 1050. The main reason to get a 1050 is for the primer pocket swaging, and for 95% of pistol rounds you don't need, but now that I have started loading rifle, would really be nice to have.

Also one thing to consider is the cost of caliber converstion on a 1050 is about double the cost of a 650. Also the 1050 only has a 1 year warrenty, so no free parts.

My suggestion is to go with a 650, unless you ever plan to reload high volumes of rifle or crimped primer ammo, and play the lottery until you win and then get one of each.

Just FYI: there is now crimped 40 S&W appearing on the market. This is brass from US Coast Guard contracts. However, the warranty on the 1050 is not the same as other Dillon loaders. The warranty is one year from date of original purchase. For the volume you've described, that isn't an issue. And having the ability to quickly produce ammo might allow you to shoot more as well.

There's this:

333 rounds a month? No you do not need a 1050.

Want one maybe, but def don't need one.

Which I was going to say.

But there's also this (from a man with a bench full of 1050's):

Get it.

If you decide you dont like/need it after all, the 1050s hold their value well.

That also isn't wrong.

:huh:

I shoot less than you do. I have 2 1050's. I've said this before: Whether I have 1 ditch or 20 to dig, I want the quickest and easiest ditch digger available (this side of a camdex, of course.)

Make the swap and sell the 1050. The SDB is a great machine as you already know and at twice the volume you currently load, the SDB will still serve you well. If you were shooting 2000 to 4000 rounds a week that would be a totally different situation.

Just FYI: there is now crimped 40 S&W appearing on the market. This is brass from US Coast Guard contracts. However, the warranty on the 1050 is not the same as other Dillon loaders. The warranty is one year from date of original purchase. For the volume you've described, that isn't an issue. And having the ability to quickly produce ammo might allow you to shoot more as well.

For me the warranty would not play into the equation. My RL 1050 will turn 23 this year in october ( yes I know the manufacture date.....oct 1989). It has never been back to the factory for a rebuild nor has it ever had a major issue. I expect my sons will enjoy reloading on it long after I am gone. . . Of course is strongly suspect that to be the case with any of the other dillon reloaders too. I am just addressing the 1 year warranty on the 1050. Non issue.

Hello: BUT IT! Everytime you pull the handle and you hear that noise of the round hitting the bin you will smile. At least that is what I do after I load 100 rounds in 6 minutes :cheers: I have 2 RL 1050's and would love to get another to load my large primer stuff on. Just buy it now. Thanks, Eric