Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My kingdom for an ambi mag release!

LeftyGirl

Looking for a little help from my shooting friends. I'm a lefty who recently inherited an STI 2011 that was built for a righty. I'm looking for an ambi mag release (I'd settle for a right-side one), but my searching on Brownell's, Midway, and "da Google" isn't turning up much.

To show my ignorance: will a mag release designed for a 1911 work in a 2011? (If yes, then perhaps I've found a few.)

Any lefties out there that can help me out? Thanks!

I'm as left handed as you can be and I use my trigger finger. Like Mr. Bruin said, give it a shot. If your experience isn't favorable, Dawson and I think Mitchell make a right sided one.

^^^^^^^^

I use one of those and they rock. I have also used my trigger finger which is a grand way to be sure your finger is out of the trigger guard during reloads, but for me, I can do reloads faster with the Mitchell.

I'm a lefty and use my trigger finger; faster than the thumb and guarantees your finger is out of the trigger guard. Unless you have extremely long fingers, I'd imagine it'd be faster for you too.

Lefty with long fingers here and I agree with the above- use your trigger finger to hit the mag release. Fast, easy, and potentially reduces the amount of grip shifting you need to do while reloading.

If you inherited a "righty" setup gun and it has a mag release button, make sure you remove it or get ready for random mag drops!

I'm a lefty and use my trigger finger; faster than the thumb and guarantees your finger is out of the trigger guard. Unless you have extremely long fingers, I'd imagine it'd be faster for you too.

+1 :cheers:

+1 I'm a lefty and I think it's an advantage to using the trigger finger. No repositioning of the grip during reloads and you know that your finger if away from the trigger. same with manipulating the slide stop. :D

I'm a righty and do a version of the trigger finger technique with the Mitchell right side mag catch. You lefties are lucky that all standard mag release buttons are setup for you this way.

Yep! I've always thought right handed guns were built for left handed people! :D