Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 1X6.5 scope from Bushnell

kurtm

Used mine at the Pro Am this weekend. The only negative I think can be made is the illumination. The brown cardboard targets with brown dirt backstop did not provide good contrast w/ the amber reticle when illumination was turned on 9. But, turn the illumination off and the black reticle was great.

Yes, it's not Aimpoint bright.

No, I don't think daytime illumination matters much in the scheme of 3 gun.

I also got to see a Bushnell 1-8.5. WOW! Big scope, huge FOV, same reticle, massive uncovered knobs, beautiful glass.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered the SFP BRT2. Got mine last Monday, installed it that afternoon, and rough sighted it in in my backyard range where I am

limited to about 75 yards. Then Wed I tweaked it at a 100 yd range. No chance to check long distance or how it

worked with my ammo/reticle. But the ProAm distances weren't going to be an issue and I just adjusted according

to the ballistic chart. It turned out to be just fine at the Pro Am.

Loved the reticle and it was much easier for my old eyes than the Tac30 or Vortex PST that I have. Illumination in

daylight is better than the Vortex but not as bright as the Tac30 so something like a Meopta or Swaro. But it was

noticable in the bright sun and very useful in the shadows. I felt the reticle was very fast on 1x and very precise

on 6.5.

I left it on and the next day it dimmed down substantially so battery life isn't going to be great. I put some spares in the

UBR stock just in case.

Since it's in a LaRue, I am going to pop it off and put on my .308 in preparation for the Ozark 3 Gun. That better

reticle and the added top end power may come in handy on the distance targets.

Craig

I looked through this scope on a friends rifle yeasterday. Overall very nice. The only sticking point for me was my friend told me the illumination was not that visible on a bright day. It was fine for the say we where shooting but it was heavy overcast.

pat

I also got to see a Bushnell 1-8.5. WOW! Big scope, huge FOV, same reticle, massive uncovered knobs, beautiful glass.

I put Bushnell 1-8.5x into google............and smoke came out the back of the hard drive. What's up with that? :roflol:

Used mine at the Pro Am this weekend. The only negative I think can be made is the illumination. The brown cardboard targets with brown dirt backstop did not provide good contrast w/ the amber reticle when illumination was turned on 9. But, turn the illumination off and the black reticle was great.

Yes, it's not Aimpoint bright.

No, I don't think daytime illumination matters much in the scheme of 3 gun.

I think the narrow eyebox is the biggest issue for me, it's not bad at 1x but at 6.5x I sometimes have to readjust a few times to get it right. Not sure how other scopes compare to this one though, I have no experience with optics. This is my only and first scope aside from a cheapo 4x20 I got with an old levergun, that I promptly removed.

I read elsewhere that the biggest cause for the tight eyeboxes on scopes like these is the small front objective and it gets only worse if you increae the zoom range so I wonder how that 1.8x stacks up here. I wouldn't say no to a simple 1-6x with a larger front objective, maybe a 32mm like I've seen on certain IOR scopes, if that would give a bigger and less sensitive eyebox.

I think the narrow eyebox is the biggest issue for me, it's not bad at 1x but at 6.5x I sometimes have to readjust a few times to get it right.

Agreed, my XTR was much better in this dept. I really like this scope, but I am not sure I will be able to get past the eyebox issue.

The 1-8.5 was on Tom Fuller's rifle. (This is all going from memory and perhaps I had a few beers before I looked at it)

It's a 34mm tube w/ exposed locking turrets. The turrets are similar to what is on the HDMR Bushnell. The one Tom had was a BRT1 reticle. Absolutely awesome FOV. Clear glass as I've come to expect from the Bushnell Tactical line. I only looked at it at the lodge, so I didn't get to put it on any MGM flashers. Expect details later this year from Bushnell is all I heard.

Regarding the eye box on the 1-6.5- I guess I am spoiled because I've shot irons so long. A repeatable cheek weld is required for irons, so I don't expect to be able to get by with less when using an optic. Something else I realized over the weekend is that irons has also taught me to have visual patience when shooting a rifle.

• 2 weeks later...

The 1-8.5 was on Tom Fuller's rifle. (This is all going from memory and perhaps I had a few beers before I looked at it)

It's a 34mm tube w/ exposed locking turrets. The turrets are similar to what is on the HDMR Bushnell. The one Tom had was a BRT1 reticle. Absolutely awesome FOV. Clear glass as I've come to expect from the Bushnell Tactical line. I only looked at it at the lodge, so I didn't get to put it on any MGM flashers. Expect details later this year from Bushnell is all I heard.

Regarding the eye box on the 1-6.5- I guess I am spoiled because I've shot irons so long. A repeatable cheek weld is required for irons, so I don't expect to be able to get by with less when using an optic. Something else I realized over the weekend is that irons has also taught me to have visual patience when shooting a rifle.

I'm hoping more info on the 1-8.5x is coming soon. Sounds like a great optic.

November is what I was told on the 1-8.5x. But, I think they were a couple months behind on the 1-6.5 release, so it may be SHOT.

But, it's something to see. I think 8.5 will be a little much for 3 gun, and the thing is heavy, but then again I never thought I'd want an optic of any kind, let alone a 1-6.5.

Well, you didn't have a whole lot of choice on getting an optic with the rules rework this year. Regardless, I've finally started watching this new season and have enjoyed watching you and the other guys shoot.

1-8.5 would have to be heavy, I imagine!

November is what I was told on the 1-8.5x. But, I think they were a couple months behind on the 1-6.5 release, so it may be SHOT.

But, it's something to see. I think 8.5 will be a little much for 3 gun, and the thing is heavy, but then again I never thought I'd want an optic of any kind, let alone a 1-6.5.

Odds are Bushnell will show the 1-8.5 at the NASGW wholesale show in November and to retailers at SHOT in January. There is a distinct pattern in this industry. History says the new product will be available at retail in March or April in small numbers.

I would be in if they fix the sensitive eye box ... if not Trijicon is coming out with a accupoint 1-6x or 1-8x power

Really? Do tell. I've wondered if/when they would come out with a 1-6x and maybe give us the reticle we all seemingly want. Is any info, leaked report, or solid rumor available?

-Cheers

I had a conversation with an 11 time world 3gun champion at his house. And he mention it to me. When I speaking to him about the eye box issue with bushnell and he brought up the current 1-4x trijicon, I told him I didnt like it because there was no bullet drop. He said Trijicon will be bring a 1-6 or 1-8 scope next year specifically with 3gun in mind and it will have a bullet drop reticle.

But I wont mention any names

What do you need illumination for? You live in a snowy white wasteland!

I like having a bright reticle that stands out. I believe its faster if your reticle is lit. We don't have Aimpoints with a black dot for a reason. The lit reticle draws your eye in. Also if you have a less than perfect cheek weld but you manage to see the lit reticle and black with your shooting eye and the target with your other eye you can shoot with the bindon point aiming concept. That does not work with a black reticle. Sorry you can use what you want but if a scope does not have daylight bright illumination I will pass.

Pat

I had a conversation with an 11 time world 3gun champion at his house. And he mention it to me. When I speaking to him about the eye box issue with bushnell and he brought up the current 1-4x trijicon, I told him I didnt like it because there was no bullet drop. He said Trijicon will be bring a 1-6 or 1-8 scope next year specifically with 3gun in mind and it will have a bullet drop reticle.

Without naming names, were there any details discussed about the bulled drop reticle? I suppose it's too much to hope for an ACOG style reticle w/ a 1-6x magnification range. Still, if you have any other rumored details (e.g. bullet drop design, estimated release date, guesstimated MSRP, etc.), we're all ears. Even if it is all speculation & rumors at this point.

-Cheers

Without naming names, were there any details discussed about the bulled drop reticle? I suppose it's too much to hope for an ACOG style reticle w/ a 1-6x magnification range. Still, if you have any other rumored details (e.g. bullet drop design, estimated release date, guesstimated MSRP, etc.), we're all ears. Even if it is all speculation & rumors at this point.

-Cheers

Pretty much what he would let me know and said he will most likely be testing it...

-Cheers

Pretty much what he would let me know and said he will most likely be testing it...

Did it sound like something they were maybe planning for SHOT or commercial sales in 2013, or can you say?

-Cheers