Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 1X6.5 scope from Bushnell

kurtm

I am on the fence about the FFP vs SFP for this application (multi gun). I see the folks with the two optics setup and am wondering why would you choice that over a FFP 1-6 (or 1 to whatever) that pretty much covers both roles? What am I missing?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this FFP vs. SFP has me thoroughly confused, so I just went with what I know and am most familiar with - SFP. I have searched to the end of the internet and back for good pictures of the BRT-2 FFP and SFP reticles at 1x and 6.5x. I have only owned one low powered variable FFP optic and it was promptly sold because the reticle was just too small for my liking. The pictures I did find of the Bushnell FFP looked too small for my liking too. I just feel that the horseshoe dot on 1x should be large so you can easily bracket targets from 0-200 yards. Anything farther, and I will be using max power anyway to utilize the holds so its a non-issue to me. The field of view past 200 yards should still be large enough to pick up far targets quickly.

As for the BRT-1 vs BRT-2 reticle debate, BDC's never seem to work out for me. This optic may also get switched between my OBR and AR, so the versatility of a Mil reticle just makes more sense for my application.

FYI, Graf's has the best price I have found so far and they still had two left in stock this afternoon after I ordered. I think this optic will be right at home on my OBR. Depending on how well I like it, I may put another on my LT-15.

I shot a few rounds through a DPMS 308 over the weekend topped w/ this new Bushnell. Maybe this is typical performance from a scope, I don't know because I don't shoot optics often, but I can clearly see .30 cal bullet holes at 100 yards on brown paper w/ this scope set at 6.5x.

The mil adjustments are spot on. Zeroing this optic was easy just using the mil hash marks in the reticle to measure correction. (set on 6.5x of course because mine is a SFP)

I found illumination to be about equal, maybe slightly greater, than the Burris TAC30. In my opinion, the illumination is not as bright as an Aimpoint, but it also does not "bloom" when it's turned higher than necessary.

Bryan, did you get the SFP with BTR-2?

I feel dizzy when you walk about shooting a DPMS with optics........you'll always be a M1A iron sight guy to me! :devil:

With regards to the ability to see the holes at that range and magnification, it makes sense to me. I could see .223 holes on crummy white paper at 100 yards with 10x on my Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x Friday afternoon. Helpful lighting would make it easier in some circumstances.

-- Mike

Everyone please keep in mind my perspective is not one of a seasoned optics shooter. I didn't even own a 3 gun optic until last year, and never shot a major match w/ an optic until the 3 Gun Nation Championships last November. I say this so that my inexperience w/ optics is known.

I have the SFP BTR-2.

I like it Trapr. I first thought the FFP would be the ticket due to the reticle looking like a dot at 1x, but I wasn't crazy about how small it was, or the weird sizes of the reticle at everything between 1 and 6.5x. I prefer the reticle to look the same no matter what magnification it's set. On close stuff, I'm using the dot as the aiming point, but the horseshoe is almost like a subliminal message to help bracket the target. Where the SFP model shines is the targets that you would typically use more than 1x and less than max. Give me an array of closely spaced targets at 50 yards and I'm likely to use 2x or 3x, with the SFP reticle the sight picture is great. It still has the center dot (which is about .25 mils or .9 MOA) to use as the aiming point.

I doubt there will be a situation I will need to use hold-over that I won't want to be at 6.5x, so the mil-hash not being accurate at less than 6.5x is not an issue. I went with the BTR-2 for versatility. I figure if I don't stick with Tac Optics, I can use the scope on a different rifle easier with the mil-hash over the BDC.

For my AR's I use JP mounts. I have a HDMR in a 34mm model on a 18" JP-15 and a 30mm waiting to go on my 18" CTR-02 whenever I decide on what scope for it. This will be my multi gun setup and I am having a heck of a time figuring out what to go with.

Take care,Stan

Dang! Was gonna order one from Graf & Sons this morning and its outta stock. Should have ordered last night but I wanted to see if I needed todo anything special as it was an international order... Ack! This was going to be my first scope as well, been waiting & researching my options since last summer.

I have no mount for mine but I can forget about Larue, anyone use the pepr mounts?

Edited by Rynnäkökivääri 62

Just got mine unpacked and mounted. SFP, BRT-2 reticle. All I can say is that it is perfect! No regrets going with SFP, the reticle is the perfect size to use like an eotech up close on 1x. The glass has definately exceeded my expectations, as it is just as clear or better than my Nightforce scopes. Bushnell definately hit a home run, and they've been listening to the customer.

rynn 62, I've used the LT, JP, and Warne they are all very good and all have their pluses and minuses. If the LT is not available the other 2 will do just fine. My Bush Tac 1-6.5x currently rides in a JP.

Trapr

Mine just came in from Grafs as well and for the price vs performance, it's a helluva deal. I agree with the other person that said illumination is slightly brighter than the TAC30 but not AimPoint bright.

BTW, I bought the SFP BTR-1 reticle so can someone verify the BDC sub tensions? I didn't find it in the manual and Bushnell didn't respond to my email.

BTW, I bought the SFP BTR-1 reticle so can someone verify the BDC sub tensions? I didn't find it in the manual and Bushnell didn't respond to my email.

Trapr posted it in MOA a page or so back

slight thread drift ahead... have any of these major 3 gun matches done equipment surveys and published the results. I'd be curious what percentage of shooters are using 1-4's, 1-6's, ACOG's, ELCAN's, etc..

I got a chance yesterday to look through one of the ffp ones. At 1x in bright daylight I could see the reticle but there wasn't much red... I want to look through an sfp one to see if it is brighter, benelli2 has one I just need to catch up with him.

Has anyone had a chance to compare the brightness of the FFP version and the SFP version? If the FFP isn't bright enough for Southern California's desert sun, then it effectively rules out that version.

Bummer about the no daylight illumination. I ordered one from SWFA with their 110% price match compared to the Graf's price. Will be here this week. I will miss the illumination from my Tac30 but I will appreciate the 6.5x!

I have the SFP, today here it was 95 and sunny not a cloud in the sky, mine was bright maybe not as bright as a aimpoint but was definitely red, enought that my eyes would pick it up way easier than when it was turned off,i'm very happy with mine.