Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slugs

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try an assortment and buy in bulk when you find one that hits closest to your point of aim at the range you expect to shoot. Reduced recoil is what you want to start with. Most find they get much quicker follow up shots and you will appreciate that on say a 10 slug target array like we just had at the SMM3G. My Benelli likes the Federal LE127's for 100 yard targets and the slower Remington reduced recoil sluggers for the 50 yard stuff.

Fiocchi Spreaders are birdshot intended for aerial clays. The pattern spreads out faster, and it can be handy to selective load those with regular birdshot when you have to shoot a popper to activate/toss the clay, and you want a tighter choke to knock down the popper but have the pattern spread out more for the clay on the following shot. I carry some.

Im new to 3gun, just got my JM 930

What slugs do I need and where do I get them?

Thanks Kevin

I've been using Brenneke KO's. Accurate at 100 with my M2. For some reason it just doesn't like Remington slugs at all. Where did you get your JM 930?

Im new to 3gun, just got my JM 930

What slugs do I need and where do I get them?

Thanks Kevin

I generally use Federal reduced recoil because they are cheap and work ok. I use Breneke Reduced recoil when I need accuracy as they group twice as good in my guns but they are expensive.

Pat

Next, What choke should I start with? Im talking put it in and shoot everything! slugs to bird shot.

Whichever choke shoots slugs the best, but improved cylinder or modified, usually.

Is low recoil Buckshoot 00 any good?

Good for what? ;) Buck is typically used 2 ways. On specific buckshot-on-paper targets, which is unusual. Also can be used for extra oomph on far plates or poppers. But some matches (or ranges) do not allow its use, so be sure before you load up 00B to take down a popper. But when buck is allowed at all, we are more likely using low recoil (1 oz @ 1200-1300 fps) rather than max (1 oz @ 1500-1600 fps)

Rio reduced recoil from Sportsman Warehouse were the cheapest. I hit the steel at SMM3G with them.

I use a vent rib and not iron sights, so it can be a crap shoot out past 70 yards. They shoot about 14 low at 85 yards.

I have a SLP, first time using B&P slugs ran great, every shot a hit. Second match with them shotgun would not cycle fully. Anyone run into this?

The SLPs have some odd break-in function issues. I currently have my "newer" one sitting in the safe with the bolt locked open and I cycle it 20 or 30 times by hand everytime I touch it. Bit me in the butt @ Superstition with multiuple FTFs on every shotgun stage. It does not seem logical, but on multiple SLPs, have seen similar patterns, just realized it a bit too late for me. :angry2:

The B&P slugs would not run in the "older" gun with about 1200 rounds on it, but would in the newer gun with 100 rounds on it. By the time the "newer" one hit 300 rounds, they would no longer cycle.

Some theorize that the recoil spring is too stiff for anything under field loads (3 1/4 dram) until 1000 rounds or so. Once you pass 2000 or so, 2 3/4 dram loads will probably work.

don't the slugs have to be sabot for a smooth barrel? so basically you have to shoot sabots in three gun if you are shooting birdshot and slugs out of the same barrel correct?

No, sabots are for rifled barrels. Rifled slugs for smooth bores.

don't the slugs have to be sabot for a smooth barrel? so basically you have to shoot sabots in three gun if you are shooting birdshot and slugs out of the same barrel correct?

You are looking for Foster slugs.

I've had good luck with both B&P as well as Winchester Ranger LE low recoil. The B&P are more accurate out of my 1100 w/ a Briley LM choke.

B&P Slugs for me and my M2—crazy accurate and just unbelievably soft shooting. Sometimes hard to get, though, so I just laid in some Fiocchi reduced recoil slugs to try them out, too.