Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Harbor Freight tumbler?

Dont feel bad, I ended up in Harbor Freight a few weeks ago and I saw a HUGE tumbler and I admit it I was tempted.

I bought it a couple years ago. It's fantastic. Tumbles a ton of brass and is pretty quiet.

Try this one from Harbor Freight...

Tumbler

That is the exact one I have. I took the paddles out and sprayed the inside with rubber pickup bed liner. I let that cure in the sun for about a week (90 - 100 degrees). I use corn cob media with a bottle of car polish. It is fairly quiet and does 1000 .38 or .40 brass in about 2 hours. I also tumble the loaded rounds to get off any case lube or burrs around the case mouth. They look like new factory ammo and feed and eject smoothly.

Tumbler

That is the exact one I have. I took the paddles out and sprayed the inside with rubber pickup bed liner. I let that cure in the sun for about a week (90 - 100 degrees). I use corn cob media with a bottle of car polish. It is fairly quiet and does 1000 .38 or .40 brass in about 2 hours. I also tumble the loaded rounds to get off any case lube or burrs around the case mouth. They look like new factory ammo and feed and eject smoothly.

You can only fit a thousand 40s in there, or thats all you put in it? I can fit more than that in my dillon tumbler and it doesn't require a whole corner of my garage... I'd be interested in a big tumbler like this, makes me really think about going to stainless media. Then I could throw in 5 gallon buckets full of brass and let it run for a few hours.

Tumbler

Really only a 1000, I thought at least 3000-4000.

A local shooter here just bought one, added 10 pound bag of corn cob media along with 2-3000 pieces of 9mm brass....said it worked real good for him.

I've got 20 lbs of corn cob media and about 3-4k of 9mm in it along with several cap fulls of liquid brass polish. After a couple hours of mixing, I was ready to load. In fact, I'm still pouring brass out of that first load:D

One suggestion, make a cover for the hole -- big help in reducing the sound of the brass tumbling and keeping the dust contained.

• 1 month later...

Just another stupid question but has anyone got any good results with it?

ww harborfreight com/5-lb-metal-vibrator-tumbler-67617

The reviews show some folks use it to clean up their brass.

Now why does my inner monologue affect a Southern accent and then spits on the floor when I read these reviews?

Mine has cleaned/polished thousands of cases and does as good a job as any of them. Even took a dive from the bench and ran for who knows how long on the floor on its side... I think there are only a couple shops making these anyway - take a close look and they all look real similar be it red, green, blue... If you get the 20% off coupon on the HF website you may even get the proper "twang" to go with the accent! If'n yer lucky - and don't spit on the floor, get a cup, bottle, can or go outside.

I bought the gigundo HF purple monster about a year ago and it works great and quickly.

Very heavy- don't hurt your back pouring out the massive quantities of brass and media. I found putting it on an old car floor mat(rubber with ridges) made it even more quiet, and kept it from walking on an uneven cement floor.

Throw a slightly rusted, dirty mag in there (by itself) for a few hours, and that baby will be smooth, clean and polished inside and out!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tumbler

Wash your brass and the dog at the same time.

Tumbler

friend of mine is a brass dealer and he has one,but he took out the metal flap inside and added 4 rubber ones..he does wet clean,then a dry media clean..he also made a lid to keep the dust dow,nice setup..

• 5 months later...

Tumblers I've toasted Frankfort Aresonal, Dillon, Lymann 2500 Ultra. Harbor Freight has the 5# on sale for $54.00, I can buy the replacement warranty and maybe it will last more than a year, thats all the other held up to. I do have to admint that of the 3 the Lymann was the best till the motor went out tonight, it gets up to speed then dies then speeds up then dies, and just cycles like that full or empty don't matter. I would have never noticed but I was working on that "dang" dillon 650 again, the primer alarm went mutant, the buzzer bit the dust so I pulled the buzzer out of a powder check the switch died in.

I looked at the Harbor Freight tumblers with the thought of using the steel pins, water and detergent to get primer pockets clean for my light hit revos. I figgered that with the smooth insides and no paddles like in a cement mixer the brass would just slide down the sides instead of getting a good tumble and agitation. Did I figger wrong?

Went to harbor freight, the pictures lied, it a little bitty thing, I like a nice size tumbler like the Lymann 2500, so I think I will tear it down and get a motor for it some where, maybe Kawasaki, or something tim the tool man would be proud of.