Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why do some shooters number their magazines?

NicVerAZ

So that when a feeding or magazine problem occurs, you can determine which magazine it is, and either address the issue, or stowe it until afterwards.That is it.

Exactly! In the heat of a course of fire, having a reference number enables you to "bench" the proper (or should I say improper) culprit.

1. For the reasons stated above but mostly so at the end of the day I leave the range with as many as I brought to the range. I also put my initials on my mag's. I use a 9mm glock and its rare in a group class or competition that one or more people don't have the same.

2. I'm anal, have ADD, Alzheimers, and OCD (all self diagnosed)

3. Why would someone start with 0 when numbering anything, thats just crazy talk! (See point 2)

Edited by Garyg19

...and why they do it sometimes starting from 0 and sometimes from 1?

Because some of us are nerds and realize that all sets begin with a reference of zero! :D

Have you ever thought about birthdays? Each year we have one and we always get the label wrong. People will say "It's my 37th birthday", when really what they mean is "It's the 37th anniversary of my birthday". The most important birthday is the very first on you had, but everyone always skips that one. So really, on the day you celebrate the 37th anniversary of your birthday, you are in fact celebrating your 38th birthday (the very first one plus an anniversary each time we make a successful revolution of the Sun).

So, wait... what was the question again? :) The others made it clear, the numbers on the mags are so we can tell the difference between them in case one of them should screw up.

You must shoot with computer programmers. They are the only people I know that start counting at 0 instead of 1.

Well, I am one and yes, you zero base arrays for a reason.

Ok... How did you diagnose the first one?

Edited by NicVerAZ

I painted all my Glock bases red, but since everyone else has red bases, I numbered them, too. Can't tell you how many times I've looked in my range bag and found 3 #12 red-based Glock magazines. It's really embarrassing walking around to all the shooters and asking if they picked up my red-based #11 or #4 magazine by mistake.

Mac

You must shoot with computer programmers. They are the only people I know that start counting at 0 instead of 1.

A 'reason', but not necessarily a 'good reason'.

I think computer guys (and I am one) do it for the same reason IDPA forbids using scoring overlays. (just to say 'nyaah' at everyone else).

you number or mark them to as a way of identifying a mag. you know how many unmarked Glock mags I have picked up at the shooting comps? Factory all look the same. lets say you realize you are missing a mag. you see a guy that is holding a mag.you gonna go up to him and ask if that unmarked mag is yours?

Ok... How did you diagnose the first one?

I kept hearing different variations of "stop being such an ***hole, "quit doing that you dumb***" eventually, I made my diagnosis.....

you number or mark them to as a way of identifying a mag. you know how many unmarked Glock mags I have picked up at the shooting comps? Factory all look the same. lets say you realize you are missing a mag. you see a guy that is holding a mag.you gonna go up to him and ask if that unmarked mag is yours?

So I could name mine ╥, e, ε, √2 and ∞.

I am pretty irrational myself.

Since we're talking about numbered mags, does everyone start on mag # 1 or 0 everytime you shoot or do you cycle through?

A friend of mine has the Dawson numbered stickers on his mags. I suggested that he start with whatever mag number corresponds to the stage. That way he would use all his mags evenly instead of #1 all the time and #5 hardly ever. I dunno, made sense to me, but he looked at me like I was crazy :blink: I guess he's got that ADD/OCD thing hahaha

One other thing I can think of is some mags (STI/SVI) can have more rounds in them. Marking them (by numbers or color) helps.

Very true, I own two mags that can take 20 rounds, one is always my LAMR mag, the other is in the pouch for my first reload. The rest of the pouches have my 18 round mags just in case I need them. I use different colors (silver and blue) for the 20 rounders, the 18 rounders all have black pads, but they are numbered.

One other thing I can think of is some mags (STI/SVI) can have more rounds in them. Marking them (by numbers or color) helps.

Very true, I own two mags that can take 20 rounds, one is always my LAMR mag, the other is in the pouch for my first reload. The rest of the pouches have my 18 round mags just in case I need them. I use different colors (silver and blue) for the 20 rounders, the 18 rounders all have black pads, but they are numbered.

LAMR?

I use it as a way to keep my bases and tubes together when I polish and tumble them in groups. For some reason I can load 21 into 6 of my stock tube STI mags if they have the right bases and springs in them. I run all Grams innards and even mark the followers to make sure all the mags are put back together the same way. The other reason is I am a pack rat and have too many mags (16) for one gun. I mark different sets with skulls, flames, numbers, whatever I feel like that day. I have been going through the "School of Hard Knocks" with this whole shooting thing for the last couple of years, copying what everyone else was doing, buying all the newest gadgets,yada, yada, yada. I finally just started doing my own thing and feeling comfortable. Mark your mags,don't mark your mags, whatever, just do the things that make sense to you. My .02.

So I could name mine ╥, e, ε, √2 and ∞.

I am pretty irrational myself.

What you did there, I see it