Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shorter sight radius easier to see?

Duke Nukem

I was watching a TV show "student of the Gun" Bill Wilson was talking up his guns. He said as you age its easier to see a short sight radius. He said at his age he shoots a 4 inch better than a 5 inch.

This is completely opposite of everything I have ever read.

Does anyone else besides Bill Wilson find this to be true.

As one who regularly shoots everything from a Glock 24 down to a G-27, I will say this: On a short sight radius, any mis-alignment is not AS apparent, so it may FEEL faster/better/cooler. I really believe that it isn't, in reality, but it does make you feel good. Those sights just line up! On the longer gun, I can see the tiniest of errors, so sometimes it feels like I just can't get them lined up right. All the while, it may be an acceptable sight picture, but it doesn't look perfect.

Edited by Braxton1

Most people experience the opposite of what Bill's describing... As you become presbyopic, your eyes can't focus in close - and as the condition worsens, the closest distance you can focus gets further and further away. A longer sight radius would actually increase your ability to focus on the front sight. All the old guys who complain of not being able to see the front sight anymore? You just need to run a 10" slide in 2013! cheers.gif

Most people experience the opposite of what Bill's describing... As you become presbyopic, your eyes can't focus in close - and as the condition worsens, the closest distance you can focus gets further and further away. A longer sight radius would actually increase your ability to focus on the front sight. All the old guys who complain of not being able to see the front sight anymore? You just need to run a 10" slide in 2013! cheers.gif

There is a phenomni known as Secondary Vision :angry2: , this phenomni makes it possible to read without your reading glasses, but truth is your vision has degraded, this happens when Cataracts thicken the lens. So it isn't good.

I'm no longer presbyopic rather Bionic have a set of Toric Implant Lens, I can read a license plate at 50 yards but there is no hope of reading a Recipt from Wallmart. The good thing is with a 35" sleeve length I can see sights, on short or long guns. :cheers:

Back to the question, a shorter sight radius hinders rather than helps when focusing on the sights, unless you are wearing reading glasses which are designed to work at 14".

a short sight radius, any mis-alignment is not AS apparent, so it may FEEL faster/better/cooler. On the longer gun, I can see the tiniest of errors, so sometimes it feels like I just can't get them lined up right.

That makes a lot of sense to me. Shorter feels faster but less precise.

Longer takes more work, but is more precise.

Try it with two of your guns - the longest and shortest - see what

YOU think.

Jack

a short sight radius, any mis-alignment is not AS apparent, so it may FEEL faster/better/cooler. On the longer gun, I can see the tiniest of errors, so sometimes it feels like I just can't get them lined up right.

That makes a lot of sense to me. Shorter feels faster but less precise.

Longer takes more work, but is more precise.

Try it with two of your guns - the longest and shortest - see what

YOU think.

Jack

That what exactly what happened to me last month at the GSSF match in Orlando. I shot the best score with G26, then G19 and only then with my G34 that I normally use to shoot USPSA.

It puzzles me to this day.

Edited by Magnus DUX

I have owned a good selection of Springer XDs over the years. I have shot some of my best groups on the XD platform using the 3" subcompact. I also shot better at the last GSSF match with a G26 vs a G17. I have also shot great groups with a Kimber Ultra Compact 3" pistol. Basically, when I am taking my time, I can shoot really good groups with a shorty.

However, when shooting USPSA or IDPA, my accuracy is a lot better with a longer barreled gun. I have used my short barreled pistols multiple times at IDPA matches because those are the ones I actually carry from time to time and have noticed my hits tend to be less precise with a short gun when shooting at speed.

I think that when shooting groups, you can take the time to ensure a shorter barreled pistol's sights are aligned. When shooting at speed, the feedback you get from a longer sight radius is better than a short barreled gun as you can better see misalignment quickly with the long barreled pistol.

I find it interesting that a shorter gun is as, or more, mechanically accurate than a similar gun with a longer barrel.