Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

looking for light bullet weight options for the 308

swandme

I am looking for loads and recommendations for lighter bullet weights options for my LR 308

Any Load data and function experience would be great.

Thanks

I am shooting a DPMS MK12 with the 18 " fluted bbl.

Is it worth the recoil savings and how far out are they accurate.

Thanks

Dan

I am looking for loads for lighter bullet for my LR 308

Is it worth the recoil savings and how far out are they accurate.

Dan until the experts chime in, I loaded 125 gr bullets for my

30-06 and the recoil savings was GREAT!!! Better than 150's. Loved them.

Didn't check the accuracy, but it seemed pretty good when I

sighted the gun in.

Good luck,

Jack

First off.....I just want to say "GAMMER"!!!

Secondly, back in the day, I took that Austrailian 308 ammo that used to be availible, popped out the bullets and reloaded (with the same powder charge) 110 grain Hornady's.

Very low recoil, operated in my DPMS 308 and still had very good accuracy out to 200yds. And after 300yds....it became nasty.

I am sure you'll be able to find loads that work for you and your application.

Tim

Thanks for the info so far.

Keep it coming

I considered the vmax 110 and the Nosler 125s so far

Thanks

Dan

It's a COMPLETELY different platform, but I tried some 110 gr bullets in my bolt action 30-06 and they shot to a tremendously higher point of impact than bullets in the 150-180 gr range.

125 gr bullets work great.

I'm not sure what was going on with the 110s. I suspect a combination of barrel harmonics and differing trajectory from the high velocity.

I have 4 DPMS LR-308s all have 1:10 Twist. I have great results from the Sierra and Nosler OTM 168 Grain over 40.5 Gr. IMR 8208 for the lighter side and max is 42.2 and both are very accurate.

I shoot some long range at Ft. McCoy and Always choose the 24 in barreled one for that. The 3 Gun set ups are the 18 in MK12 Fluted or a 20 " Bull.

I will try the 110 and the 125 and see how they do.

I will try 8208 and H322 Both part of Hodgdon's Extreme Powder line that are Made in Australia. They have greatly reduced Velocity fluxuation caused Temperature variables.

Keep in mind even if all the testing you did was at sunny and 50 degrees the actual temperature of the round when fired varies a great deal based on how long the round sits in the Chamber

and if the Chamber was Cold or at the end of a long string.

I load a couple of reduced loads that work pretty well. For cheap practice, I load 110gr. .30 carbine bullets over 45gr. of H-4895 in a LC case. I've found it to be very accurate out to 200 yards. Much past that, and wind drift gets ridiculous. I've shot about 600 or so of those rounds, and loved every minute of it since it's not as hard on the wallet. I've also tried the same load with the 110gr. v-max. This was actually not as accurate from either of my .308's, but they still grouped well under 3 moa. Neither of those loads make the 360 power factor, though. I think you pretty much have to go with a 125gr. bullet to make 360. You might be able to do it with H322 or something else more quick-burning, but I still wouldn't run it in any of my gas guns. I shoot an M1A though, so I'm a bit more cautious about burn rate than you AR-10 folks.

Thanks for the info so far.

Keep it coming

I considered the vmax 110 and the Nosler 125s so far

Thanks

Dan

I tried both of those, and they weren't nearly as accurate as Sierra 125 grain soft points, with TAC behind them. They are very accurate to 400 yards. I didn't try them further.

If you're going to Holmen Sunday, let me know, and I'll bring a few along for you to try. :cheers:

Who/what match or orginization has a 360pf floor for 308?

JJ

PCSI in Ohio has 360pf listed in their rules. I think they just use the IMGA rules, but i'm not really sure. Anyway, they don't actually chrono everyone's ammo. It's just a club match. Still, I don't want to be 'that' guy. I haven't really shot 3-gun at many different places, is the power factor rule not common?

Who/what match or orginization has a 360pf floor for 308?

JJ

PCSI in Ohio has 360pf listed in their rules. I think they just use the IMGA rules, but i'm not really sure. Anyway, they don't actually chrono everyone's ammo. It's just a club match. Still, I don't want to be 'that' guy. I haven't really shot 3-gun at many different places, is the power factor rule not common?

USPSA is 320pf for major, no caliber specified (I think), and the CURRENT IMGA rules say 320pf for HeMan, 30 cal minimum.

http://www.smm3gun.com/Rules/2012/IMA-SMM3G%20Rules%2020-October-2011%20(changes%20in%20red)-1.pdf

Most other (if any) "majors" don't specify power factors, just minimum calibers. For HEMAN divison, its 30 cal (usually 308 and/or 30-06), 45 pistol, 12ga. The "mouse" divisions usually have listed as minimums 223 rifle, 9mm pistol, and 20ga. Here's ours rules;

http://www.rm3g.com/Rules%20Mar11.pdf

:cheers:

jj

The Speer 125 TNT is accurate and economical.

I too have worked up a load for the 125 grain TNT and the 125 grain Nosler both shoot MOA out to 200 (as far as I've shot them).

I believe I was using Win 748, exact load I cant remember.

Scott

Edited by Big Bore

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for the Speer TNT's. I understand that we all wish that we could find a load with the perfect trajectory and low recoil and high velocity and low wind drift, etc, etc. The fact remains that for any one of those things to be the "best", you have to give a little on the others. I did a good bit of work with this myself, and there are VERY few 3-gun matches that require better than 3 MOA accuracy. I've been through a couple thousand of the TNT 125's and I can reliably ring 8-12 in gongs at 300-400 yds with open sights on my 16 in M1A. The great thing about this load is that it is easy on recoil and combined with my Titan comp, it makes for an HM combo that can blast through a run&gun stage with the best of them and still be counted on to hit most reasonable long-range targets. If you are expecting stages beyond 300-400, have specific ammo for that.

• 9 months later...

Well just an update

My favorite combo so far after over 700 rounds fired since March is derived from matching the Bullet impact of the 110 Hornady Vmax to the 168 Grain Nosler CC its a great combination.

photo-4_zpsbbe32f90.png

I achieved the very similar point of impact with a number of factors and lots of range and Chrono testing in the Back yard

as well as using the " Shooter " App for my iPhone

Just the results

40.0 Grains of H322 over a Win LR primer in a OFB Lake City Case kept the pressure up and the Vel down to match the Trajectory of my favorite 308 load for the 168 41.5 IMR 8208 . Both are amazingly accurate. and within an inch out to 400 yards and I will use the 168 anything past 250 anyway.

FYI The Point of impact of the Hornady and the Nosler 168 are within 1/4 in at 100 but the Nosler Balistic tips in all 5 of my 308's print 1 MOA to the right I found this to be very strange but consistent across the board. Hope this helps your Game

Dan

Well just an update

My favorite combo so far after over 700 rounds fired since March is derived from matching the Bullet impact of the 110 Hornady Vmax to the 168 Grain Nosler CC its a great combination.

photo-4_zpsbbe32f90.png

I achieved the very similar point of impact with a number of factors and lots of range and Chrono testing in the Back yard

as well as using the " Shooter " App for my iPhone

Just the results

40.0 Grains of H322 over a Win LR primer in a OFB Lake City Case kept the pressure up and the Vel down to match the Trajectory of my favorite 308 load for the 168 41.5 IMR 8208 . Both are amazingly accurate. and within an inch out to 400 yards and I will use the 168 anything past 250 anyway.

FYI The Point of impact of the Hornady and the Nosler 168 are within 1/4 in at 100 but the Nosler Balistic tips in all 5 of my 308's print 1 MOA to the right I found this to be very strange but consistent across the board. Hope this helps your Game

Dan

What app is that?