Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot Season 4: Episode 4(6 MAR 2012)

Anyone know how they would make that elimination contraption? for the pendulum to release after hitting the plate? Or is there "a man behind the curtain" that manually releases the pendulum when the target is hit?

How many ADs did that guy have anyway?!?!?!

looked like two at the end.

Again one of his city's finest showing he could not control a handgun. That M&P owned him.

Spoiler Alert!!

What a sore loser that Colin fellow turned out to be... Did you guys notice how he threw the pistol down on the table when he got eliminated? I don't care how mad you are at yourself, that's a big no-no in my book. :angry2:

I didn't care about Colin until tonight. Now I'm glad he's gone. But seriously... that Littlejon dude's gotta go before he's got everyone in group therapy. Dude's got way too much emotional bagage and doesn't know what to do with it. Even Colby doesn't know what to make of the guy.

How many ADs did that guy have anyway?!?!?!

looked like two at the end.

Again one of his city's finest showing he could not control a handgun. That M&P owned him.

He had several *oops* shots during the challenge as well.

Anyone know how they would make that elimination contraption? for the pendulum to release after hitting the plate? Or is there "a man behind the curtain" that manually releases the pendulum when the target is hit?

Cool prop, like to see the back of it

I want to know how it 'swung' far enough to reset each time. There must be a motor to pull it back up the last part.. otherwise it's prepetual motion

I want to know how it 'swung' far enough to reset each time. There must be a motor to pull it back up the last part.. otherwise it's prepetual motion

motor with belt or chain drive two relay switches--my guess

Little Johns massive insecurities aside... I thought both of these challenges were very cool - some of the best stuff they have done to date. A combination of speed, accuracy, timing, and increasing pressure.

If I were to change anything, I would have made the first challenge a round robin. Shoot one arrow (or hit one target) and change shooters. That would have spread the challenge over the entire team.

What was the deal with putting the cord used to cock the crossbow back on the hay bale after cocking? I've seen some local crossbow shooters just hang the cord on their offside or around their neck.

Yeah, it hesitated a couple of times on the way "up", which makes me think there had to be a motor. The plate probably just tripped a solenoid that started the motor going the other way.

What was the deal with putting the cord used to cock the crossbow back on the hay bale after cocking? I've seen some local crossbow shooters just hang the cord on their offside or around their neck.

I wondered the same. If it were a relay I'd say it was so that they wouldn't run off with it and leave the next shooter in the lurch.

Not only that, but why were the hooks on the cord? I've never shot a cross bow, so all I can base this thought on is what I see on TV, but wouldn't it have been easier to just have the hooks in your hands with no cord connecting them? It didn't look like the cord provided any sort of leverage. It just seemed to get in the way and make it more complicated. Am I wrong?

RE: Throwing the gun on the table after losing.

We used to have a weekly plate matches and a shooter did this after a close heat. He was asked to sit out the rest of the evening, but welcome to come back next week. [At a USPSA match, a gun was found on a downrange berm after a shooter threw it down there out of frustration, but that's a story for another time.]

On the upside, it looked like he cleared the gun first before throwing it down in disgust.

The cord is called a Goat's Foot. The hooks make it easier to grap the string to bring it back to cock the crossbow. Cocking a 150 lbs crossbos takes a lot of effort and the Goat's Foot helps.

Putting it on the bail in front of them makes it a quick and easy place to find it for the next shot.

The cord is called a Goat's Foot. The hooks make it easier to grap the string to bring it back to cock the crossbow. Cocking a 150 lbs crossbos takes a lot of effort and the Goat's Foot helps.

Putting it on the bail in front of them makes it a quick and easy place to find it for the next shot.

The hooks make sense, the cord connecting them does not (to me). Does the cord serve any other purpose than to keep the two hooks attached to one another?

It makes sense after watching the video. The rope is basically a pulley, which cuts the force required to cock the bow in half.

Looks like it also extends your reach so you are standing more erect to cock the bow rather than putting more strain on your back.