ken hebert

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the gen 2 prototypes for the two round mags are in transit to me

I should know next week if they pan out, if so they go right to production and will be available soon

I am working as fast as possible to bring one or the other to full production as soon as I can

Jim

Geez Jim, two round mags? I think you might look to add a 1 in front of that. A nice 12 rounder would be very helpful. (Typo?)

Chuck,

Adding the current extension to the 5 round mags is a good solution but starting with a 2 rd mag and adding an extension allows for better geometry of the shells as capacity goes up making for a better solution.

When I ordered, earlier this week, she told me that more mags should be available by the time my shotgun is finished. :cheers:

I'm hoping to use it at the CMMG match in May. :D

MAGS!!!!! I need MAGS!!!!

Where do we get those cool 10 round mags that fit together???

Do you have a Firebird MKA 1919 or a stock one?

JJ

Not a Firebird but with 922 compliant stuff

Had a chance to run one after the match today. More recoil than a open saiga but the controls are fantastic. At $1000 less than a open saiga its pretty amazing. Can't wait to see how it does this year and who is shooting one. Another beautiful job from Firebird Precision.

I shot the same Firebird as 9x23 guy. I also liked the controls the recoil seemed to be a lot more than my R&R Saiga but that may have been due to the smaller comp on the Firebird vs the JP comp on my R&R saiga. I won't be selling my Saiga anytime soon but for a person getting into a gun this is a much cheaper alternative. Thank you Dale for letting us try your shotgun. Someone also needs to figure out a magaazine coupler system for this new gun and a shell stop. If I were going to get one I would use a heavier stock and a larger comp to cut back on the recoil. It would also be nice to see larger mags than 10 rounders. There were some malfunctions earlier in the match that was traced to something coming loose on the gun. Once that was tightened the malfunctions stopped. Not sure what the part was you would have to ask Dale on that one. I won't hold that against the gun as I had a huge learning curve with my R&R Saiga before I found out what it takes to keep it running. I do think the Akdal has a lot of potential. I also like how the magazines are metal and appear very durable.

Pat

My friend Dale shooting his Firebird AKDAL.

Me shooting my R&R Saiga.

9x23guy shooting my Saiga.

th_IMGP4724.jpg

Edited by Alaskapopo

Anyone else going to shoot theirs at SMM3G next week? If so maybe we can try and hook up and do some mag sharing for that 31 round stage?

If you have one and you arent taking it to SMM3G for some reason, just let me know how many beers it would take to lend me one of your 10 rounders ;)

At only $1800 for a complete unit, I'm very tempted. I paid almost that much for my other Open modifications, plus the price of spaghetti!

That was the old price. They've gone up. :(

At only $1800 for a complete unit, I'm very tempted. I paid almost that much for my other Open modifications, plus the price of spaghetti!

That was the old price. They've gone up. :(

Thanks for the heads up. I still don't think it's a bad price.

Does anyone think that the limitation of a 10 round magazine may be a disadvantage considering that USPSA eliminated the 10+1 limitation on a loaded start capacity? Now tube guys can run XRails in all matches and Saigas can have 12 to 20 round mags. Is a 12 round mag in the works?

Does anyone think that the limitation of a 10 round magazine may be a disadvantage considering that USPSA eliminated the 10+1 limitation on a loaded start capacity? Now tube guys can run XRails in all matches and Saigas can have 12 to 20 round mags. Is a 12 round mag in the works?

Reloading the Akdal will be much faster, but the 10 round mags "technically" put the gun at a disadvantage from the Saiga.

Personally I would rather Firebird skip the 12 round design and focus instead on a big 15 rounder. Be a better equalizer and a more "useful" magazine than going from 10rds to 12rds.

Reloading the Akdal will be much faster, but the 10 round mags "technically" put the gun at a disadvantage from the Saiga.

Personally I would rather Firebird skip the 12 round design and focus instead on a big 15 rounder. Be a better equalizer and a more "useful" magazine than going from 10rds to 12rds.

Great insight there.