Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to reloading. What to buy?

Hi,

I shoot production and I'm looking to start reloading. I been spending around 240-250 for a case of ammo every month. I been doing this for close to two years and looking to shoot more and save some money. I primarily only shoot 9mm. What are the complete list of products do need to start a setup and estimate cost? Also were could I learn the operation procedures and loading measurements to create a similar load to factory specs?

Thanks.

A good reloading manual is a god-send. Try Richard Lee's "Modern Reloading". It's not THE best, but it's pretty inclusive for someone looking for the basics. Lyman's "Pistol and Revolver Manual" is pretty good also.

Save yourself a lot of aggravation, hair-pulling, and cursing: Buy a Dillon first-up. My recommendation would be for a RL-550. It's pretty simple, rock-solid, and capable of about 400-500 rounds per hour in "cruise mode" (not really working hard).

One of the best vendors for Dillon is our host Brian Enos. Knowledgeable service, no shipping fees on the press. All-around good guy. The press and the below-listed accessories are available from him.

You'd also need some accessories such as:

Dies (can't go wrong with Dillon's set)

Powder scale (Brian has a nice little digital model with a great warranty)

Brass Tumbler to clean the cases (Dillon again. The little CV-500 is big enough for your output level.)

Dial calipers

Primer flip tray

A single-stage press would be too slow for most pistol shooters. We generally go through a lot of ammo.

Some of the cheaper progressive presses are pure garbage that should only serve one purpose: keeping aluminum recycling joints in business.

I primarily shoot 9mm. What products do I need and estimate cost?

Also were could I learn to create a similar load to factory specs?

Thanks.

GDF, if money is a consideration - I'd go with the Dillon Square Deal =

everything you need will cost you about $600. The Dillon 550 will cost

you a lot more than that, and the Dillon 650 much more than that.

Buy everything from Brian Enos - but not the Dillon tumbler - get a less

expensive tumbler.

Also, add a chronograph = I use Chrony for $70.

One of the advantages of reloading (besides saving money) is that you

don't make ammo to factory specs, but even better than factory specs -

more accurate in your gun, and easier to shoot (lower recoil). You can

start out with factory equivalent ammo, but then progess, through experimentation,

to much better ammo.

Try different powders, but most people prefer heavier bullets - 124,

130 or 147 grain bullets - good powder to start out with is WW231 but

there are other good powders for 9mm minor.

Best way to start reloading is to buddy up with someone from your

local gun club. But, its not too hard by yourself - ask a lot of

questions right here on this Forum, and take it slowly.

Start by

reading a lot of the reloading questions already discussed = just

click on Forums, select reloading 9mm, and read the first three pages,

and you'll have learned an awful lot.

Good luck,

Jack

2nd - call Brian. Tell him what you told us and what you think you might like to spend. Given how much you shoot, I would recommend a Dillon and Brian is the best resource to help you choose which one.

I load about 800 rounds per month. I started reloading 9mm on a budget with the Square Deal B this past year. The scale, calipers, primer flip tray, and chrono are a must. I wash brass with a soap and vinegar solution. Works great. Powder and primer from Powder Valley. Moly coated bullets are cheap and fairly clean to shoot if you load them right. Lots of research is essential.

If you don't want a case feeder, get a 550. If you want a case feeder, get a 650.

Having loaded with a case feeder, it's such a blessing. Much better to concentrate on what's on the shellplate rather than scrambling to get a case in position.

I just bought my first press and was concerned that the 650 was too advanced, but I am sooooo glad I bought the 650. I recommend you buy the 650 and you will not regret your purchase, just make sure you also buy the casefeeder. I bought everything I needed through this site due to the free shipping and it was all about $1,300. That included the 650 press, auto casefeeder, 40 S&W die set, low powder check/die, D-Terminator scale, extra primer tubes (a must), digital caliper,roller handle, bullet tray.....that....that's about it. Buy once, cry once. Have Fun!!!!

1. Swaging military brass

2. ~200rph really means that much to you (commercial loader, lowest impact on family, hate to load but love to shoot, etc)

3. You want a bullet feeder and a powder check alarm thingie on your press

Those are the three practical reasons for buying a 1050. Bragging rights is not practical, but it's your money.

I've got a 1050. Only other press I would load on is a Camdex (that's not happening). If I had to load ammo on any other press, I'd quit reloading and just buy factory ammo. A 1050 is not for everyone.

If you have the money and you think you'll be going to other calibers down the road (trust me, you will) then call Brian and get all fixed up with a 650. I started loading on a Lee single stage. I was so excited - I loaded 100 rounds of 45acp in 4 hours. Woohoo! Then after a month I got a Square Deal with a friend and loaded on that for a few years - loaded at about 400 rounds per hour. Then I got more serious into USPSA and got a 650. When my 650 got stolen I was very sad. It was the week before I was moving. After I moved I replaced the 650 with another 650 :)

I still have the Square Deal but don't really use it for anything. The 650 is so easy to use, and I've got loads developed. So it's easier to change over to another caliber (even switch out from small primer to large primer) and crank out 1000 rds than to load something just on the SDB.

~Mitch

Hi,

I shoot production and I'm looking to start reloading. I been spending around 240-250 for a case of ammo every month. I been doing this for close to two years and looking to shoot more and save some money. I primarily only shoot 9mm. What are the complete list of products do need to start a setup and estimate cost? Also were could I learn the operation procedures and loading measurements to create a similar load to factory specs?

Thanks.

If you are running 1k or more a month in 9mm consider the Dillon 550 or SDB. I run a dedicated pair of Square Deals in 9mm and .45acp. I believe the SDB to be the best value in mid-volume handgun loading. I run about 1k in 9mm and about 250 in .45acp monthly. I'm pleased with the press and Dillon's customer service is amazing.

I started with a single stage 25 years ago and have upgraded along the way several times and now use the dillon 1050. All the older equipment now collects dust and the 1050 is all that is ever used.

One thing I found is that I have never saved any money with reloading. I simply shoot more. soil you are shooting 1000 per month now with reloading you can shoot around 1700 per month for the same money.

Your factory ammo cost is 23-26 cents per round. Assuming you have been picking up all that brass you will be reloading for between 10 and 15 cents per round. Savings per round will be in the 10 cent range or 100$ per thousand.

With shooting 1000 rounds per month It will take almost a year to payback the 650 and 2 to payback the 1050.

For me the payback period wasn't an issue because I wanted custom built ammo for things like specific power factors and custom tailored ammo to each gun.

If it is just about saving money I would think long and hard about The payback period.