Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

larue vs ADM

Onagoth

What are your guys opinions on these mounts. Just got an XTR which is on its way and it includes the burris PEPR mount, but I'm not sure if this mount will be quite upto par. Looking at upgrading it to either Larue or ADM

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have buddies who swear by only Larue, and I personally use an ADM. You are buying a lot of name and marketing with Larue - this is the explanation I was given when I bought my ADM. Let this be said - Larue makes a GREAT mount - industry standard for all others to be compared against. However if you are not really interested in getting spices, bottle openers and christmas cards, then I'd say save the cash for ammo and pick up an ADM. I have never had any issues with mine with my Trijicon TR-24. Just my $.02.

Both the Larue spr-e and adm recon-x mount perform the same. The adm seems to be built from fewer heftier parts. The Larue is easier to operate the locking mechanisms. Depending on which mount you are talking about, sometimes adm has the better design, sometimes it's Larue, often it's a draw.

The Burris mount is a great mount if you plan to leave it in place ( though I have them retain zero). I have use about 10 of them on various builds in the past few years and all are still 100%.

If not burris go ADM or Brobro

• 3 weeks later...

i personally own an ADM Recon-x and it holds a zero very well, and i am very happy with mine. i shoot with allot of people who use the larue mount and they swear by them. in my opinion you can't go wrong with either, they are both great mounts

I zero my 400yd mark at 400yds. Last time I had my Larue off the rifle, I went back to the range to resight and found only 1.5" shift at 400yrds. I left the covers on the turrets and left it alone because with .223 1.5" at 400yrds can be a gopher fart or a solar flare or the ghost of christmas past flying by. I'm sure the ADMs are great, but I just can't argue with the repeatability of the Larue. If you can afford a $600 scope you can afford to put it in a $200 mount.

Edited by co-exprs

I am a Larue fan. I have been using their mounts for nearly 9 years now. Their mounts are strong and always return to zero. I have tried ADM and they are workable but they are harder to adjust. They are either too loose or tight as hell. There is no just right in my experience. Larue is also a huge supporter of the sport, they even sent tons of SWAG and prizes to my match up here in Alaska. Great people!

Pat

+1 for Larue. If you can get past the awful fanboys and just look at the quality of the parts they manufacture you'll never be wrong with a Larue product. Their customer service in unbeatable too.

CM

• 4 weeks later...

Larue has a better sturdy feel to the mounts metel but the mount will mar your rail, the ADM won't MAR anything and is a bit cheaper. I have used all of them and I think BOBRO is the best unless you can afford a GDI which is on top for quality. Go with the ADM or BOBRO.

Larue has a better sturdy feel to the mounts metel but the mount will mar your rail..

Does that really become an issue when 90% of us literally throwing our rifles into dump buckets? ;)

I own both, like them both. But LaRue donates a lot to this sport (easily $15k+ just in brisket at SMM3G was consumed) to me that's worth to spend a little more money on the laRue, u won't be disappointed :)

To be fair I like my Warne RAMP mount too, I just wish it was a little more forward.

Edited by DocMedic

Larue has a better sturdy feel to the mounts metel but the mount will mar your rail..

Does that really become an issue when 90% of us literally throwing our rifles into dump buckets? ;)

I own both, like them both. But LaRue donates a lot to this sport (easily $15k+ just in brisket at SMM3G was consumed) to me that's worth to spend a little more money on the laRue, u won't be disappointed :)

To be fair I like my Warne RAMP mount too, I just wish it was a little more forward.

Yes it does because common sense will kick in at some point when it has dug the metal away causing it to need adjusting due to the mount moving from removing material on your rifle. It really is simple to understand.

I think if marred metal causing shift were a problem with Larues, we would all be hearing about it by now. I've had my mount for two years, off and on two rifles several times. There are no marks on my receivers. Not saying it doesn't happen. Just can't seeing it being an issue.

I think if marred metal causing shift were a problem with Larues, we would all be hearing about it by now. I've had my mount for two years, off and on two rifles several times. There are no marks on my receivers. Not saying it doesn't happen. Just can't seeing it being an issue.

Thankyou. If Larue were really as bad as one poster seems to say people would not buy them and they would not be the most popular QD mount going.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I have 3 ADM mounts and 3 Larue mounts. They both hold a zero well. ADM has a mount that extends a little farther forward and allows me to shoot. Nose to charging handle with a scope. Other than that they are 2 different designs that accomplish the same thing. I didn't realize Larue supports the sport as much as it does. That will be a factor in future purchases.

My hands down favorite is the JP which I purchased after my Larue (which I still like) and after being honest with myself in the fact I didn't really need a quick release mount. I really wanted something with no protrusions to get in the way of or hung up on anything and of course sturdy and repeatable. Now if JP would just build a taller 1.9ish" one I'd finally have the perfect mount. I have heard very good things about Warne and it is what I will probably run if I go to Open. Between the two you are looking at I would just get the one you think looks best or sounds best to you. :cheers:

Larue's repeatability is better than AD (I have both). If it is going to stay on the gun it may be a wash. From what I have seen (I don't have a JP) the JP is great but only for leaving it on the gun, and they are cheaper. All really depends on what you want it for. I just bought a new Leupold and plan on putting it in a JP as it will stay on that gun, all my others (except one) have Larue's so I can go from red dot to a 4-16 scope and not have to worry.

Go with the ADM or BOBRO.

Bobro sucks for actually mounting the scope. Getting to the screws is tedious and inefficient.

OK, I would agree that actually mounting the scope on Bobro sucks due to the orientation of the mounting screws. However, once the scope is in the scope rings, the Bobro QD mechanism is just plain "FREAKING AWESOME". How often will you actually remove the scope from the rings??? For me, it's never or when the scope breaks/gets upgraded.

I've got the Bobro QD mount for an SWFA 1-4X and the ADM QD mount for an Aimpoint Micro. As far as I can tell all the ADM QD mechanisms are the same. Never tried the Larue.

If I move the ADM QD mount to different rifles, I usually have to adjust the tightness lever for the different rifles. If I make that adjustment a little tight, it is a PITA to remove the ADM. Also, my ADM mount doesn't seem to always hold zero, I may have to adjust the Aimpoint Micro a couple of clicks. Or I suppose the Aimpoint Micro adjustment knobs could be the problem.

I regularly switch the Bobro/SWFA between my Benny Hill competition upper and JPNC22 upper. The Bobro QD lever is the easiest I've ever tried and it always holds zero. Don't have to adjust anything on the Bobro QD mount between rifles.

More expensive, but definitely Bobro over ADM.

Go with the ADM or BOBRO.

Bobro sucks for actually mounting the scope. Getting to the screws is tedious and inefficient.

OK, I would agree that actually mounting the scope on Bobro sucks due to the orientation of the mounting screws. However, once the scope is in the scope rings, the Bobro QD mechanism is just plain "FREAKING AWESOME". How often will you actually remove the scope from the rings??? For me, it's never or when the scope breaks/gets upgraded.

I've got the Bobro QD mount for an SWFA 1-4X and the ADM QD mount for an Aimpoint Micro. As far as I can tell all the ADM QD mechanisms are the same. Never tried the Larue.

If I move the ADM QD mount to different rifles, I usually have to adjust the tightness lever for the different rifles. If I make that adjustment a little tight, it is a PITA to remove the ADM. Also, my ADM mount doesn't seem to always hold zero, I may have to adjust the Aimpoint Micro a couple of clicks. Or I suppose the Aimpoint Micro adjustment knobs could be the problem.

I regularly switch the Bobro/SWFA between my Benny Hill competition upper and JPNC22 upper. The Bobro QD lever is the easiest I've ever tried and it always holds zero. Don't have to adjust anything on the Bobro QD mount between rifles.

More expensive, but definitely Bobro over ADM.

I agree. And to those who think that I am the only one who does not like Larue pull your heads out of the sand and do some research. Alaskapopo is a larue fanboy who is all over larue because he helped send stuff for his shoot in the northern state. Bias as bias gets. Proves he can be purchased and have no idea of what a good mount works. Fanboys are just that nothing more. I know lots of guys coming back from the sandbox and they had nothing but issues with the Larue mounts. It is a serious problem and with fanboys bragging their crap up because they were sold crap does not help things. GDI, BOBRO, ADM in that order.