Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Lubed but .223 cases still stuck

Mike in CT

So, I am new to rifle reloading but have loaded many thousands of pistol rounds.

I am using a Hornady LNL with Hornady Deprime/resize die. Here is what is going on,

I am spraying shells with Hornady one shot and then tossing into the case feeder. The part that seems to be hanging up on the cases is when the deprimer spindle is trying to pull back out after the deprime stroke. In other words, I pull the handle down, out pops the primer then I go to raise the handle and it gets tight, then Pop, there goes the shell plate and the case is stuck in the die with the deprime spindle still in the shell. Actually it is the small threaded part that holds the decapping pin to the spindle that seems to be causing the problems.

Has anyone heard of this or knows what I am doing wrong?

Do I need to lube the inside of the case neck in addition to the outside of the shell? Everything else I read said to just spray on the one shot lube with shells in a zip lock bag, shake them up and your good to go.

Any help is appreciated,

Mike

use a different lube. the one shot is good for pistol but not so much for rifle. The RCBS spray lube works great.

I was having the same problem with my dillon 650, I called dillon and they said the one shot lube is inconsistant batch to batch. He pretty much said use anything but one shot for rifle.

Also, try putting down a towel and spreading out your shells on there(flat not in a pile) and spray them with the RCBS and then rotate them, spray again.

I havent had a stuck case since I switched.

Edited by CareyH

I'm not as negative on One Shot as the rest of the guys. I've used it 7 or 8 years on .223. I read directions at one point that said to be sure to get spray in the neck and rotate to get the other side. Spray at a 45 degree angle to make sure you get it in there. I used to use a few old plastic 45 ACP trays to hold my brass up neck up and spray them in that.

I've only had one stuck .223 in my reloading, and it was MY fault. I picked up some range brass with my brass and one had corrosion on the back side I didn't catch. I run two passes, one to deprime and re-size. Then I clean and reload on a separate pass.

I quit using One Shot last year simply because I ran out. I had a bottle of Dillon spray lube stuck back and I started using it. I like it and will stick with it.

If using One Shot make sure you get the neck good and spray liberally, I think it even says that on the can. I've had One Shot lubed brass set in the case feeder for weeks and not had any trouble with it evaporating.

Answer from Hornady is basically, Spray Liberally, let cases 'dry' until propellant evaporates, then rotate cases 180 degrees and repeat, and try to spray into case neck.

What I do not get is why I see all these other high volume loaders just using lube on the outside of the case (case wax as an example) without problem.

Could it just be that I did not get enough lube on the outside of the case, or do i NEED to get lube inside the neck as well?

Mike

The only people I have known to stick a rifle case.. used OneShot..

Any of the lanolin lubes work much better.. I run mine through wet.. I don't allow it to dry... seems to work better for me. Unlike OneShot it does have to be cleaned or tumbled off

One-shot will dry out in a few hours. If youre hell bent on using it put cases in bucket, spray, shake, spray, shake and then let them sit for a few min. I would use Dillon spray lube and see what happens. Also mike expander ball. SHould be .222-.224 or so. Might be over sized. I have had more poor stuff from Hornady than all other's combined.

I used one shot on a few thousand cases. Once I figured out I had to use it pretty liberally I never had a problem.

Honestly, now I just use whatever lube I can find that's cheap. I don't think it makes much difference as long as you use enough of it. I've never had a stuck case.

Darren

This isn't posted to try to convince anyone to change their mind, but the liquid that evaporates from one shot is jsut the liquid carrier. The "lube" is still there. The cases are "lubed" till something rubs it off. People either love it or hate it. FWIW, I use one shot on bottle neck cases with great results. I spray cases in a vertical position in a rack, at a 45 degree angle and wait till they are dry before I handle them. I spray both sides.

I can say that imperial wax works well if you are looking for an alternative.

good luck

Thanks for all the replies.

Needless to say, after 3 stuck cases I am a bit reluctant to try the wax, even though I have seen others use it with great results. I will measure the expander ball on the one I saved that was destroyed, and on the replacement Hornady is sending out.

I ordered some of the RCBS lube and also going to go the extra step of either standing up all the cases, or laying them out on a cookie sheet and ensuring that some of the lube gets inside the neck.

I wish I had the confidence to just switch to the wax as I like the idea of something simple like that but until I can get more than a few cases run through the press I am going to liberally apply a spray lube.

I am hoping that I get over the learning curve soon and can start cranking out some .223 test rounds and then move into full production.

Mike

Mike, I think that you are on the right track. Standing the cases up for spray works well. You don't have to buy an expensive rack. an old 50 rd tray from commercial pistol ammo pack does a good job. Don't put a case in every spot. Spread them around a bit, like 20 or so and you will have plenty of space to get all the cases. Don't hesitate to pm if you think we can help

:cheers:

The way I do it is I hold a bunch of cases in my hand, maybe 15-20 or so. Then I spray the lube all over them while I'm holding them. I use a bunch if lube. My hand gets covered in it, which In turn helps the cases get covered. I think standing them all up prior to lubing them is a waste of time. I don't think it matters how exactly you put the lube on. I spray some cases from the bottom ,some from the top, and all in between while I'm holding them.

The trick is just to put a bunch of lube on, not how you do it or what lube you use.

Darren

Hornady one shot - 223 even on a single stage too many stuck cases. Got real good in the practice of "un-sticking" from dies. Switched to Redding Wax and have not had one problem. By the time you spray,let dry, spray, let dry, I have already loaded a bunch. I size/deprime then wipe off lube in one batch. Then I put in powder and bullet in the next batch. Remember to check the case length on bottle neck cases or you could not go to battery and get the case stuck in the chamber.

I've used Lyman case lube, while rolling cases on a pad, without problem for years. RCBS told me to stay away from spray on case lube, somthing about distorting the case neck, if the neck gets lube on it. Roll 10 at a time. Also, have used dry Mica to lube the necks. Just dump some in asmall tray, dip the case neck after lube, then resize. Doesn't get any easier, and saves the time pulling stuck cases.

Tumble the cases in seperate media to remove the lube before loading.

Edited by Mike Morcillo

I beleve that the Hornady directions ask to "Shake vigorously one minuet before use for best results" and "Shake peroidically during use." They also ask that you disamble your sizing die and throughly clean the inside to remove prior case lubricant. Other case lubricants form a protective barrier and can limit the effectiveness of ONE SHOT. Then spray the inside of the die and let it dry.

I have resized 30-06,270,30-30,257R,234,22-250,222Mag AI,223,and 222 with ONE SHOT and have not had any case stick in the die.

I am a happy reloader.

Thanks Younger,

I did switch to the RCBS spray lube (pump type sprayer) and have good results with just spraying the cases in a shallow pan, shaking them and spraying again. I may go back to the Hornady but right now it works so I am not going to try to fix it.

I did find that there was one headstamp in my ranger brass that was much harder to run through the die than all the rest (FNM 92-2) and I did not even bother with those 8 or 10 cases. As soon as the handle got hard to pull I just backed off and toss those cases.

Hornady is likely a fine product but since I had a bad experience just a bit shy to go right back to it.

I will use it for all my pistol brass like I always have,

Mike

Here is a suggestion to try, lay out an old bath towel and spray down the center of it with the lube of your choice. Don't flood it, just a light coat will do. Dump a couple of hundred cases in it, fold it over and then hold the ends and shake briskly back and forth for awhile. Then load.

Try it, you may really like it.

• 3 weeks later...

I always laugh whenever I see a thread on any forum about getting cases stuck with "One-Stuck"...err..I mean one-shot ;)

There are always a couple of guys that swear they never got a stuck rifle case using one-shot but there are always loads of people saying they got them multiple times even after following the directions to the T. My brother-in-law (who is a factory Honda mech.) and I both got stuck .223 cases right outa the gate using one shot. I can honestly say we are both pretty damn good at reading comprehension and following directions. Bottom line is this....if you have already bought the one-shot, keep it and use it only for pistol cases...it makes your press really run smooth and eases wear and tear on your arm. Buy some Dillon lube and never look back for rifle cases.

That's what I learned along the way :cheers:

I've been using OneShot for years. I just dump a bunch of cases in a big plastic baggie (usually about 100 or so in a 1 gallon baggie), spray in a bunch and shake it for a couple of minutes. Pour them out in a cardboard box lid and let them dry. Never had a stuck case.

• 3 weeks later...

I used Hornady water based one shot ONCE and got a 223 case stuck bad enought that I needed to buy the RCBS stuck case remover. I now use the old school lube on the lube pad or Dillion case lube liberally. The water based on shot went in the garbage. The old one shot that had trichlore was great. Never had a problem with it. The new stuff isn't as good and the alcohol based Dillion stuff works great.