Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA production gun?

HotLoad

The 3 pound rule in USPSA was just thrown into the trash.

There is no "best gun". You have to consider the options which include all the SHADOWs and the SP-01 family, 85 combat, 75b, and see what you like. That is, of course, assuming you are shooting 9mm. Some peopel like the lighter weight guns, some like the heavier guns.

Single action only is an option on all CZs, but is not legal for production division.

Pretty much if you have the money you have two options.

75 Shadow

SP-01 Shadow

Pretty much comes down to one question: Do you want to shoot IDPA too?

Yes some IDPA: get the 75 Shadow, it will make weight easily.

USPSA only: Get the SP-01 Shadow, it will be the flattest shooting 9mm you ever own. Just make sure you practice transitions to get a feel for the weight.

75 Shadow

SP-01 Shadow

USPSA only: Get the SP-01 Shadow, it will be the flattest shooting 9mm you ever own. Just make sure you practice transitions to get a feel for the weight.

I think PistoleroJesse nailed it. In the CZ line, the custom shop SP01 is probably as good as it gets for USPSA Production. But because I wanted a "do-all" 9mm, I bought the 75 Shadow. I have been extremely pleased with the 75 Shadow, and don't regret that choice for a second. The only thing I wish I'd done differently was spring for the adjustable sight.

75 Shadow

SP-01 Shadow

Some people really don't like the weight, though - even if you are going to use it exclusively for USPSA, if you are one who prefers to drive lighter guns, then you may prefer the lighter frame of the 75 Shadow.

Can't say I understand it, but those crazy folks are out there. :lol:

Are there any Production approved longer barrel guns {5"} or is 4.8" it? Is the key to getting one without the firing block to look for a Shadow or are there others?

CZ is currently selling a 75 Shadow frame with a Tactical Sport upper (around 5.5 inches). Not legal for production yet but once the requisite number of units are produced I imagine it will make "the list". Not an inexpensive option, but what the hell..... :-)

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/CZ-75-Shadow-CTS-Longslide-P/

75 Shadow

SP-01 Shadow

Some people really don't like the weight, though - even if you are going to use it exclusively for USPSA, if you are one who prefers to drive lighter guns, then you may prefer the lighter frame of the 75 Shadow.

Can't say I understand it, but those crazy folks are out there. :lol:

Funny you should say that. I have been shooting a plastic framed gun in Production for years now, and thought I'd try out a Shadow to see what all the hype was about. I hated it. It felt so heavy and bulky, I couldn't wait to get back to plastic. But I'm sure had I shot it for a few months, I'd probably feel differently.

Since I started competing 2 years ago I have shot SS exclusively until about 3 months ago. I decided I wanted to give production a try this season so I bought and M&P pro. The gun was way to light for what i'm used to shooting. I bought an SP-01 Shadow from CZ Custom and love it. Very tight and accurate gun, and the weight is much more comparable to my 1911's. In the end I don't thin you can go wrong with the CZ but ultimately buy what fits you the best.

Edited by tavman

Are there any Production approved longer barrel guns {5"} or is 4.8" it? Is the key to getting one without the firing block to look for a Shadow or are there others?

All are 4.75" and the only CZ's without FPB's that are Production legal are the Shadows and the 85 Combat. The 85 Combats have the older-style frame with the "duck-tail" beavertails, which many (including me ) aren't as fond of as compared to the newer-style frames with the upswept-bevertails (like on Shadows and certain others), but hey, everybody's hands are different, and lots of guys love the "duck-tail" frames and find them to be just fine.

IMHO, you've really got to handle them both to know which you prefer.

FWIW... CZ 75 variants, including SP-01 and Shadow, really have a barrel length of approximately 4.4"/4.5", measured from muzzle to breech-face. The stated length of 4.7x" barrel length appears to be measuring from muzzle to the end of the feed-ramp.

Wish a "real" 5.0-inch SP-01 Shadow were available. Given the typical CZ slide-to-frame fitting, the long-slide in a 75 frame may just rattle too much for my personal liking. :roflol:

True dat...

as much as the top ends rattle on the frames it's amazing how accurate they are for as loose as they run. :eatdrink:

The appropriate large globs of slide glide dampen that embarrassing rattle nicely. :roflol:

Since I started competing 2 years ago I have shot SS exclusively until about 3 months ago. I decided I wanted to give production a tTrry this season so I bought and M&P pro. The gun was way to light for what i'm used to shooting. I bought an SP-01 Shadow from CZ Custom and love it. Very tight and accurate gun, and the weight is much more comparable to my 1911's. In the end I don't thin you can go wrong with the CZ but ultimately buy what fits you the best.

+1 on this. I shot my XD9 Tactical for a year before getting a single stack. I've shot a 45 and now a 9mm SS. Trying to go back to the XD is toublesome. I just got a CZ75 SP01 and I love it. The first shot double action has not been a problem since I also shoot Revo. I think the CZ is especially good for the shooter that wants to play in Single Stack minor and Production, both 10 round platforms.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Tried different platforms, Murphy's law says there will always something better than your gun but only you can be better with your gun. I picked the standard CZ75 SP-01, it met my wants and USPSA requirements. Now the name of the game is to get better at your gun, practice, practice.and practice. Find ways to improve on it, BE forum has tons of it. My point of view.

Tried different platforms, Murphy's law says there will always something better than your gun but only you can be better with your gun. I picked the standard CZ75 SP-01, it met my wants and USPSA requirements. Now the name of the game is to get better at your gun, practice, practice.and practice. Find ways to improve on it, BE forum has tons of it. My point of view.

welcome to the club. the gear can only take you so far. the rest is up to you.

Thank you, glad I finally had something to share.

welcome to the club. the gear can only take you so far. the rest is up to you.

Dont mean to jack the thread but related to the 75 and the SP-01, do either of them have a decocker? Reason I ask is because I thought that production div has to start hammer down or am I mistaken?

Thanks,

Chris