Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which guide rods are in your IPSC gun?

Tacblack

I was wondering what was the most used type guide rod was used for limited and limited 10 guns in IPSC. I have used a steel one piece since 96 and was going to try a couple others to see if it would help. My gun is an SV with a long dust cover in 40 and a bushing barrel with a lightened slide.

I would like to hear what the best set up is for some other shooters.

I'm using a two-piece screw in stainless steel guid rod with shok-buff - works like a charm....just don't oil the thread to much - tends to shoot loose after couple of hundred round :unsure: , but then again a allan key is easier to use than removing rust..... :D

I run a bull-barrel SV .40 w/ lightened slide; STI recomends the light recoil master for light slide .40s. Loved the way it made the gun shoot; sadly it just broke so I'm back to the cominoli double buffer tungsten until the Recoil Master is repaired. The cominoli is also an excellent part (that is capable of breaking). Carry a spare part or spare S.S. FLGR in your spares kit.

I think I'm in the minority because I have EGW hollowed out stainless steel guide rods in my three primary 1911's, those guns not being a Limited gun: Caspian open gun, SS 40 I use for Lim-10 and a SS Super I hope to use for IDPA.

I fell in love with light guns after shooting a Glock for a few monthes, I could move that thing so stinkin' fast, and recoil doesn't bug me at all. Spoke with George and Jim at EGW about the need for a lighter gun and they turned me on to the hollow guide rod.

I have the facotry original one-piece full length guide rod in my Kimbers.

My Para has its original stubby recoil spring guide, as per JM Browning's design. I've had a Comminoli two-piece in there, but it cycles more smoothely without it. I may put it back for the weight some day, though.

I have 18.5 lb. recoil springs in all of 'em.

I have a Sprinco in mine. I will add one to my new pistol this evening. My new pistol is and Edge with a classic slide and full dust cover. It was built by Millenium Custom (Derek Janowicz) and has a radically lightened slide and bushing barrel. Right now it has a standard STI steel GR. Can't wait to try it with a Sprinco.

In my SV in 45acp I use:

Wilson Tungsten guiderod, Commonoli Tungsten guiderod plug. Wilson Shok Buff.

The gun has a standard length dust cover, bull barrel and a non-lightened slide.

I wish the gun was a little bit more "muzzle heavy" but I've run out of ways to add weight short of adding one of those non-ported hybrid barrels (an idea I'm toying with).

I wish the gun was a little bit more "muzzle heavy" but I've run out of ways to add weight short of adding one of those non-ported hybrid barrels (an idea I'm toying with).

Chuck D. I found these Tungsten Reverse Plugs on Brownell's, what do you think about these. The wieght would be right at the end of the gun.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...GSTEN+GUIDE+ROD

.40AET--Good point, doh! was not thinking.

I am surprised no one uses a Harrts guide rod, has anyone tried one?

The guide rods I have the weights for are 2 ounce for steel and 3.1 ounce for tungsten.

My Para .40 has a bull barrel and started out with a springco. This worked really well, handled muzzle flip well and was very reliable. Did notice, however, that the front sight seemed to go up and to the right before it came back down. I changed to a custom made solid rod filled with mercury and it still feels the same, but the sights go straight up and down. The custom rod is hollow at both ends (filled with mercury) and solid in the middle so it actually has a take down hole. It weighs about 1/2 oz more than a plain steel rod and seems to work OK.

.40AET--Good point, doh! was not thinking.

I am surprised no one uses a Harrts guide rod, has anyone tried one?

The guide rods I have the weights for are 2 ounce for steel and 3.1 ounce for tungsten.

I had one on My BUL M5 IPSC, years ago. Did not feel it help withthe impulse. Worked great in my single stack .45.

• 7 months later...