Is this a "BS" target?

lawboy

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I took the plunge and set up a long course with these targets in the first half. The way it was set up you had to take two from a medium distance and could take another two up close. Besides the obvious mind-f*!k of the stripes, I threw a texas star in at the end. I figured that between the star and either hosing the bars or taking make-up shots should destroy any reloading plan. It worked pretty well. The single stack guys caught the brunt of it and one unfortunate shooter put 5 in a row into the black bars.

Overall, they were well received and people had varied approaches to them. Most open shooters just put 3 into each while L-10, Prod, and SS shooters usually took a little time to aim.

Thanks to everyone for participating in this thread. I've enjoyed the dialogue and am really happy to have had the opportunity to try this out in a CoF.

See the stage Jail/Heart Breaker at 0:35

So I took the plunge and set up a long course with these targets in the first half. The way it was set up you had to take two from a medium distance and could take another two up close. Besides the obvious mind-f*!k of the stripes, I threw a texas star in at the end. I figured that between the star and either hosing the bars or taking make-up shots should destroy any reloading plan. It worked pretty well. The single stack guys caught the brunt of it and one unfortunate shooter put 5 in a row into the black bars.

Overall, they were well received and people had varied approaches to them. Most open shooters just put 3 into each while L-10, Prod, and SS shooters usually took a little time to aim.

Thanks to everyone for participating in this thread. I've enjoyed the dialogue and am really happy to have had the opportunity to try this out in a CoF.

Man, I thought I was evil with a single stripe on my targets. Your targets look like jail cell bars! :surprise: Nice targets and nice stage.

LOVE THEM STAGES!

LOVE THEM STAGES!

Thanks. Our club only has 4 bays until we finish up some expansion so we really try to get creative with what we have. The group of stage designers really enjoys setting up the matches and I think it shows.

• 1 month later...

As long as each side of the target is not designated as a target, ie: Scored 2 hits on the left side on the stripe, 2 hits on the right side of the stripe. A local MD tried this and a new rule was introduced. I like it, new shooters need to learn to use thier front sight. EVIL is a good description. :devil:

Edited by colt22man

great design.

i had made up a stage with hard cover painted on the outside of the D, two targets with only the outside D painted black. and then put a no shoot in the middle. so the no shoot covered half of the A box. it had two shoot targets with a no shoot in the middle.

so complaining....but it was fun.

eddie

The whole idea of an IPSC Target is to be realistic, the Amoeba's are PC realistic?, that being said tell the experienced guys you just couldn't seem to find an extra set of Jail Cell Bars anywhere. Or maybe you couldn't actually move that street sign post today.

It looks better at a Level II, and higher, Match to recreate the target presentations with life like props rather than paint them on. But you do what is necessary to have a good competitive match. One that's not been seen before is even more fun. The local matches are kind of a test bed for new ideas and are deliberately given more latitude.

On looking closely that one single bar target would take a very good shot to not get a score.

Now if you had painted them White and said they were a no shoot? I've seen local matches with that and don't like it, and that might not be legal. But Hard Cover in any configuration is valid and can be justified.

Edited by pskys2

Now if you had painted them White and said they were a no shoot? I've seen local matches with that and don't like it, and that might not be legal.

If they had a non-scoring border in the white stripe, then it would be legal. (4.2.2.1)

Edited by Skydiver

Now if you had painted them White and said they were a no shoot? I've seen local matches with that and don't like it, and that might not be legal.

If they had a non-scoring border in the white stripe, then it would be legal. (4.2.2.1)

Painting a portion of a shoot target, and calling that portion a no shoot target is not legal.

4.1.5 Declaring a single, intact target to represent two or more targets by use of tape, paint or any other means is prohibited.

Painting a portion of a shoot target, and calling that portion a no shoot target is not legal.

4.1.5 Declaring a single, intact target to represent two or more targets by use of tape, paint or any other means is prohibited.

Good catch! I missed the "painted" part.

I've done a black tape cross on metric targets, top to bottom & side to side with center in the lower A zone, on drop turners & swingers. It is legal. Gets some whining, which lets me know I'm doing my job. We had a GM put both shots perfectly centered in the horizontal tape on a swinger, 2-mikes.

One of the earlier posts had a no-shoot target with black stripes running vertically down it, to match up with the black stripes on the two standard targets next to the no-shoot.

IMHO, the black stripes on the no-shoot are not legal, as the stripes would be converting part of a target [the no-shoot] into a different target [non-penalty hard cover] by means of tape or paint. Presumably, a shot centered within that black stripe on the no-shoot would not be penalized as a no-shoot hit.

One of the earlier posts had a no-shoot target with black stripes running vertically down it, to match up with the black stripes on the two standard targets next to the no-shoot.

IMHO, the black stripes on the no-shoot are not legal, as the stripes would be converting part of a target [the no-shoot] into a different target [non-penalty hard cover] by means of tape or paint. Presumably, a shot centered within that black stripe on the no-shoot would not be penalized as a no-shoot hit.

Hard cover is not a target of any kind.

Black tape turning a single target into two targets is not legal.

But it's not the black tape that makes the things illegal. It's the declaring the single piece of cardboard as two separate targets that makes it illegal. (4.1.5).

how does a popper score power factor ? Any hit in the calibration zone is supposed to make the target fall.

Realistic ? targets stand behind trees all the time. Thats what the black stripes are simulating. Hard Cover. I think partial hardcover realistically is the norm more often than not,

A 120 pf hit in the calibration zone should take the popper down if properly set but my 190 pf 45 will probably take the same popper down when hit 2" above the hinge

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...