Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compensators and Loudness

KungFuNerd

I have a Miculek coming in the mail.

Keep reading comments about how loud they are and how you wouldn't want to be next to some one at the Range using one etc...

Does the Comp actually make it louder or does it just project the same loudness to the sides instead of downrange?

Just wondering if I were to take my AR to say an Appleseed shoot, am I jerk for using a Comp all day? :)

Comps definitely change the projection of gases and sound. It is a physical sound/gas dispersion that can be felt. I like my Noveske Pig specifically because of this, it projects it all forward and spares those around me... not compensating though obviously.

I definitely don't love standing side by side with people who have aggressive comps... its not awful, but not awesome.

Edited by splitime

I have the Miculek.

Just wondering if I were to take my AR to say an Appleseed shoot, am I jerk for using a Comp all day?

I think that might be a yes.

David E.

hah...

That's what I really needed to know :)

Of course I get mad at the indoor range when I get stuck next to a guy with a .44 mag with a laser on it shooting at Zombie targets that are 10 feet away.

That happened to me...and on a day when I was only shooting .22 :)

Just wondering if I were to take my AR to say an Appleseed shoot, am I jerk for using a Comp all day?

agree.

There's lot of folks shooting .22s at those events, and a lot of new (and young and female) folks who may not think the smack in the face is fun. When I went, I built a new top end (had an old un-threaded hbar, bcg, and GI furniture lying around... just had to buy a receiver).

-rvb

Edited by rvb

I've always wondered about making a "sleeve" to put around a comp that maybe just locks in place with a set screw for these types of situations.... Anyone try anything like that? (or could that start to be considered a silencer??)

-rvb

Edit: hey, look.... 1000th post!

-rvb

Edited by rvb

I have the Miculek.

David E.

hah...

That's what I really needed to know :)

Of course I get mad at the indoor range when I get stuck next to a guy with a .44 mag with a laser on it shooting at Zombie targets that are 10 feet away.

That happened to me...and on a day when I was only shooting .22 :)

Thats funny I just had this happen to me on sunday, I was sighting in my .22 rifle when a guy 2 lanes over was shooting a 200 yard NRA bullseye target 10 yards away with a S&W500... :angry2: Needless to say IT WASN'T FUN!

Sees Target,

Try the new Spykes Muzzle break. I tried one and it surprised me. It reduces muzzle rise a lot and felt recoil a little. Over all it is one of the best. And it reduces noise considerably. It is as quiet as the BattleComp yet its more effective in reducing recoil. I compared it to my Titan which I have on one of AR's which is just a dot flatter but a lot noisier. I also compared it to other major ones and when all things were considered it was the best choice. I was very dissapointed in others that I tried that are very popular yet ineffective. These others are just expensive paper weights.

You don't know obnoxious until you have been on a bench next to me and my Miculek-equipped 7.5" SBR :devil:

75SBRdustcloud.jpg

HAHAHAHAHA, I have the same setup and RO's hate it :) There are some backless buildings we use at a local 3 gun match and as loud as she is to shoot at an open range it 3x worse in a building.

I've got a running conversation going on a different forum about compensator for .308 bolt action rifles. The muzzle on one of those will jump a couple inches and it makes it real hard to get back on target quickly. Of course, the big problem is, if you are on a firing line with a comp, you will get beaten senseless by everyone around you.

One (engineering type) fellow has a video of a clamp on comp he made that works extremely well but it is loud. He's been kicking around some ideas and came up with one device that worked without any increase in noise but he's concerned that he may have actually made something that would be too close to a suppressor for comfort. Anyway, what I think he's messing around with now is something that redirects gas forward and up. That should counteract the muzzle jump without as much increase in noise.

As part of all of this discussion, one comp I did look into is the Battle Comp, they claim that its effective without the increased noise. I've actually found a number of comps with similar claims but I have yet to find any proper measurement of actual sound levels. It's mainly just people saying, "It worked pretty good and wasn't much louder than without one."

I actually put a Levang compensator on my carbine to reduce lateral noise on the line. It's not much in the compensator department but it does reduce the noise some. I think if someone could make a comp that was just partly as effective as some of the better comps but without all the noise, they would find a good market waiting.

Edited by Graham Smith

As part of all of this discussion, one comp I did look into is the Battle Comp, they claim that its effective without the increased noise. I've actually found a number of comps with similar claims but I have yet to find any proper measurement of actual sound levels. It's mainly just people saying, "It worked pretty good and wasn't much louder than without one."

This is a myth, in my experience. The battle comp is less obnoxious and concussive than many regular comps due to its radial dispersal design....but vs an A2 it is noticeably 'louder'; not too bad from the firers position but certainly off to the sides. Its a compromise comp in terms of effectiveness vs noise and blast.

I have tried the BattleComp and it gets beat by the new Spyke's muzzle brake in my opinion. They are both about equal in reducing felt recoil. The Spyke's is better in controlling muzzle rise. It should be noted that both of these muzzle brakes have similar design.

• 1 month later...

Some bite more than others. Some people dislike them more than others.

The biggest problem with comps that most people do not think about is the amount of crap they kick up. Shooting in unconvential positions such as under barricades some comps will prove terrible. In dry environments they will kick up huge amounts of dirt and debris which can obscure the target and limit the speed you can engage the target. In wet/muddy settings they almost always seem to spray eye pro/optics with mud. Shooting them in enclosed areas such as cars usually produces a very large amount of dust and glass in the air.

While in the open they might be annoying but tolerable to your partners/fellow shooters. You move into confined areas like a structure or hallways and some comps become tooth shakingly unbearable to the point it is no longer annoying but it actually effects those around you.

Some comps that do a decent job of not being a blue falcon are those made by sure fire and battle comp.

The noveske muzzle device does little for recoil however it redirects all the gas and stuff forward. its nice for sticking through windows.

Several shooters including myself use the Mikulek comp on Ar15's for 3 gun. the general consensus is if you are the shooter, it's fine if you are not it's rather obnoxious. I usually double plug for three gun. On a related note, I was sighting in my AR10 with factory comp at a bench rest range and after a 5 round string I looked up and a father was telling his son two benches away that it's ok it's supposed to sound like that.