Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield 1911 loaded Range Officer opinions needed

p5200

I've been thinking hard about getting one of these but, would appreciate opinions about their build quality, accuracy, and how dependable they are. I'm also open to suggestions for other options at about the $800-$1000 range which might be a better choice for my use. It will be used for slow fire shooting for groups. Would it make more sense to get it in 9mm? I have 9mm dies etc. already. Thanks! :cheers:

I looked at 2 different Springfields at my local gun store last night, wasn't impressed with either one. The mim slide release, and thumb safety looked like they were spray painted with silver paint to match the stainless gun.

I have the RO. It was very tight when I bought it but is broken in now after some matches. It runs great and is very accurate. Good value if looking for a 45

I also have a Sti Trojan in 9mm. It gets a lot more use because it's a nicer gun and it's cheaper to shoot.

If just shooting groups then get a 9mm 1911. Very soft and fun to shoot. I like it because I shoot a lot of steel with it and I can shoot a lot more rounds for the same money compared to 45 or 40

I own a Springfield Stainless Loaded Target 9mm. It is very accurate & reliable. Only had two FTE's in 7,431 rounds and that was due to shooter error. Only thing done was a trigger job (2.5 lbs.), bead blasted the stainless to matte finish, and installed a set of black VZ slim grips (small hands). IMHO I can't ask for a better 9mm single stack. With the extras total cost was $1,089.

I looked at 2 different Springfields at my local gun store last night, wasn't impressed with either one. The mim slide release, and thumb safety looked like they were spray painted with silver paint to match the stainless gun.

You must have been in the used gun section to see that. Sounds like home gunsmithing.

You must have been in the used gun section to see that. Sounds like home gunsmithing.

People do crazy things to guns.

I own a Springfield Stainless Loaded Target 9mm. It is very accurate & reliable. Only had two FTE's in 7,431 rounds and that was due to shooter error. Only thing done was a trigger job (2.5 lbs.), bead blasted the stainless to matte finish, and installed a set of black VZ slim grips (small hands). IMHO I can't ask for a better 9mm single stack. With the extras total cost was $1,089.

I would buy one of these in a second if I knew I could get one as good as your Loaded Target in 9MM.

I have one of the first RO's that came out (1 of 500) and love it. I compete in USPSA Single Stack. It is a plain Jane old school 1911 with few extras. Mine now wears a set of rubber Hogue grips, mag well, and Dawson f/o front sight. The round count is now at about 2,000 rounds, and it has fed reliably with hollow points, LSWC, and LRN bullets. The only failure to feeds can be atrituted to not seating the magazine properly (my fault) and one or two faulty rounds that would not have chambered properly in any gun. With a little use, the trigger has smoothed out and is now quite nice. The fit of the gun is quite good for a factory gun, and it compares well to any other nice factory gun. I consider the RO to ba a nice mid-level factory gun; I think it is competing in a class of gun that can cost up to about $1,500. Some of the cheapest factory ammo has grouped around 3 - 4 inches at 25 yards, but one of the lighter 200gr LSWC loads (4.6gr W231) really seemed to wake the gun up, but my gun needs a lighter recoil spring to function reliably with something that light. I have ordered and am waiting on a 12 and 14 pound recoil spring now. If you want a 45, this is a lot of gun for the money - especially since I only have about $750 in mine. If I were gun shopping today, I would look at one of the Sigs or Smith in a factory gun, and I would consider one of the Springfield Custom shop pistols just above that. If you get a good price on a RO, you should be very happy with it.

I would buy one of these in a second if I knew I could get one as good as your Loaded Target in 9MM.

I bought one on halloween day 2011,now have just over 1500 rds with zero problems. I did change out the ILS for standard mainspring group.

• 10 months later...

another +1 on the RO. got one shortly after they came out. eats anything I've run through it, no reliability issues w/ CMC PowerMag 10rd mags.

swapped MSH out with Dawson Ice magwell, installed 23lb mainspring, which improved things nicely.

also added some VZGrips and a band of skater tape across the frontstrap. serves very nicely for L10.

the one single complaint I have would be the squared off rear sight. i've gouged my palm a couple of times racking the slide. nothing a file and emory paper wouldn't fix, though.

fit & finish is top notch - everything i expected, pleased with the purchase.

Another +1 for the RO. I've done pretty much the same treatment for mine-Brown Maxi-well, VZ Operator II's, and I run Wilson 47D's for mags. I've left my reciol spring stock so far, and only changed out the main spring when I put the Maxi-well on it, 20 pounder. It handles really well right now. I don't even know what the stock recoil spring rate is.

For the low price of admission that the RO brings, its a REALLY good gun!

Smitty

Edited by Smitty4313