Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Doing your yearly budget

Ben Stoeger

Practical Shooting Budget for 2012

I thought some of you would find it interesting to discuss budgeting for matches. Now is really that time of the year isn’t it? I think it is a good idea to get a handle on this ahead of time so you don't screw yourself and run out of money halfway through the year.

I have my budget as an example

Practice ammo:

.11 cents a round total for bullets, powder, primer.

250 rounds per session (average) 3 sessions per week (average) from April through September. 3000 rounds per month on average for 6 months. 18000 rounds.

+ an additional 7000 rounds for “training camp” training at about 1000 rounds per day

Total 25000 rounds = $2750

Match ammo:

3 cases of Atlanta arms =$825

Equipment/Parts:

I need new glasses

All mags need new springs

Replacement parts for guns

Slide glide

Cleaning supplies

Etc

Total about $500

2 Cases of targets + pasters + staples and misc range supplies like that

Total $200

Assorted Expenses:

Range memberships

Fuel to and from practice range (100 round trips at $6 each)

Other misc expenses (pro grip, etc)

Total $800

Matches:

Estimated cost for match fee, fuel, airline costs, food, hotel, etc

Wisconsin Section $300

Minnesota Section $300

Illinois Section $400

Ohio Section $500

Area 3 $500

Area 5 $500

IPSC Nationals $700

USPSA Nationals $1000

All fees are estimates basted on past experience:

Match Total: $4300

Total Estimated 2012 Cost:

$9375

What a kick in the nuts!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points about planning ahead.

(Kind of interesting to see this in the heels of the Sponsored Shooter threads from the previous weeks. A sponsorship may sound nice after seeing the big price tag.)

It may sound nice... but I am not interested in chasing that. There is money to be made teaching classes or working extra hours.

Ben, tell me about match ammo vs. practice ammo? Why don't you load your own match ammo? It must be loaded almost exactly the same anyway, so just curious. Thanks.

Because if it is professionally loaded I don't need to worry about having an issue with it. =)

Nobody else wants to take a look at their own budget for the year? I think mine is pretty typical of a lot of guys actually. I can't imagine what the guys shooting 30 majors a year spend.

Alright Ben, here's my budget....

*10,000 practice ammo @ .09ea= $900

*Match Ammo- $800

*2 trips a week to range to practice from april to october(fuel)= $6x62= $372

*2 local matches per month from Jan to Oct $45ea= $900

*Wounded Warrior Match= $800

*Area 5 Match= $800

*Area 3 Match= $800

*Tri State Regional= $800

Total 2012 Budget= $6172?!?! surprise.gif(Oh Lord, I am so dead...)

400-500 rds a month for practice and weekly matches alternating 2 practice and 2 fun matches and 1 monthly match some months $100 a month.

$240 for weekly and monthly and practice fees at home range

I work all major matches i shoot somewere around 3-4 a year so no issue there but food and fun money so say $400 a year for matches

Then any misc. parts and trinkets i wish to own and fuel to matches i probably spend somewere around $3000 a year on shooting unless a new gun is purchased terribly small but its a big budget to me man i wont be buying anything for a while :blink: the things we do for fun lol.

budget for shooting 2012

Ammo - load my own .13 per round

practice - 24k 3 per week x 250 per session x 32 weeks

training camp - 7k 7 days 1000 per day

major - 3k 10 majors 300 average

ammo total - $4420

Equipment - new gun, glasses, mag pouches

equipment total - $1350

Practice - range fees, targets, gas, pasters

practice total - 500

Matches - plane, car, entry, gas, food

FL open - 800

Area 1- 800

GP sectional - 300

Double Tap - 400

Area 5 - 400

Pro-Am - 800

Area 3 - 400

IPSC nats - 700

USPSA nats - 1000

Mo State - 300

Area 2 - 800

Match Total- $6700

overall total $12970

What a kick in the nuts!

Thus, a very good reason why I quit looking so close at the budget. roflol.gif

What's the old saying about only looking about 2-3 steps ahead of you while running a race, instead of looking at the finish line? It can be downright depressing to look at how much money you spend in a single season of shooting USPSA. I'd rather budget week to week, or month to month, than for the whole year. The way I see it .... I'm still going to spend it either way. Actually I can adjust & modify my practice & match budget better on a short term basis than I can on a long term one. If I don't have enough money to attend a major, I can stop shooting so many local matches to offset the cost somewhere.

Local matches add up FAST! I usually shoot 3-4 locals a month, and if they have an average rd. count of 125, at $0.10 ea. thats $12.50 for ammo, $15 for match fees, and about $20 for gas (that figure will go up later this year if the tension in the middle east doesn't subside) So let's just say $50 each, so we're talking $200 a month just to shoot LOCALS!!! Of course I sometimes substitute locals as one of my practices for the week. But if I shoot approx. 9 months out of 12, at $200 per mo. that's $1800 just in LOCAL matches (ammo, gas, fees). You can't really count food as a shooting expense, cuz you're going to eat whether you shoot a match that day or not, right?

I tend to keep a flexible approach like Chris. I did however make a mock budget for my wife of travel and major matches since she's in school and we're working with 1 income instead of 4(we both used to have 2 jobs). That alone was over 3k. I didnt even include costs that I can pay from my "stash". I'll probably be packing a cooler this year to save on eating out. If I run out of money, I have a couple replaceable guns to sell, I can just buy again when my wife is done with school.

Buying bullets sucks.

10K Zero's for Bianchi - $1000

15k Whatever I can get for a good price for uspsa/idpa- $1200

Powder. My last 16lbs only cost me $218.

Primers - $28/K from a free hazmat special i found.

About 25K rounds for $3100. Plus brass probably $150 in brass that I cant scrounge enough of.

Matches- Hotel, Gas, Food, Match Fee

Louisianna Regional Action Pistol Match - $600

Wounded Warrior - $300

MVSA - $250

AR State - $250

Mo State - $150 (trip to the inlaws, gas doesnt count, no hotel :roflol: )

Bianchi Cup - $600 (its close and I had $200 in certs to save on entry fee)

Area 5 - $500

Area 3 - $500

Probably 2-3 other matches in Sept-November - $700

Ammo - $3100

Matches - $3800

Gear upgrades/replacements - $400

Local Matches estimated 2/week - $800

Total - $8100. Probably pretty conservative. Assumes no major gun issues, and no buying new guns.

I am a budget analyst for a medium sized government agancy and do my shooting budget the way we to ours. Spend without abandon till the last month. If there is any money left anywhere in the last month then spend it as fast as possible. Seriously though this thread is making me feel really inadequate. I am a 2g a year max guy and I still have some basics I need... like coaching and a clue

Ben, you forgot the IN Sectional :)

And this is really scary. I'm not so sure I want to do the math here with USPSA and some 3-Gun thrown in...yikes!!

Interesting that more people have practice and match ammo. I just load up a ton and grab from the same bin whether I am going to the range by myself or traveling for a match. The only difference is that match ammo gets put through a case gauge first.

Gas to/from local matches 3/month * $10 * 8 months = $240

Local Match fees = $125 :) (I love my range)

Training Class with Mike Seeklander = $395 + $200 hotel/gas/food + $150 ammo

Match and practice ammo .12 * 10,000 rounds = $1200

Targets and pasters = $50

New belt and mag pouches = $125

Round it up to $2500+

Edited by GForceLizard

After reading some of these numbers I started thinking about mine. I'm not sure if I want to add it up. I'm going to spend it anyway so why add more concern over the pathetic state of my bank account. I'm taking the "Ignorance is bliss" option.