Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you had to pre register for local club matches

ProGunGuy

would you go?

In my area the crowds for IDPA and USPSA can vary quite a bit. one month there could be 40, the next 100. There has been talk of having people pre register with the possibility of also pre paying,with the intent of getting an idea of how many shooters will be coming.

So if you had to pre register and or pre pay for a local shoot, would you go??

I guess we like crowds around here. They are usually heaviest in the spring but it always peters out.

In your case I think I would prefer to just permanently sign up for the matches you know you will shoot each month and then let somebody know if you can't make it. That sounds easier.

If the match was sometime over the weekend, I would go. If it was a weeknight match, probably not.

if they asked you to register and prepay, and if you did not, would this be acceptable to you?

Yes, for the weekend match.

would you go?

In my area the crowds for IDPA and USPSA can vary quite a bit. one month there could be 40, the next 100. There has been talk of having people pre register with the possibility of also pre paying,with the intent of getting an idea of how many shooters will be coming.

So if you had to pre register and or pre pay for a local shoot, would you go??

If it were to become required, at the matches I shoot, yes, I would go.

Our club uses a Pre registrationa and payment option. It does several things for us:

1. Makes it easier on the shooter who never carries cash,(don't laugh.)

2. Makes loading the Palms faster, less reistrations to handle on match day.

3. We can pre plan which RO's can be on which squad to insure that we have coverage.

4. Those who want to shoot together, can.

There's already a long thread on this. I started doing pre-registration last year. A few were not happy about it but most understood and it has actually worked out well. We don't pre-pay at this point and I'm not sure I would want to deal with that hassle.

• 1 month later...

I guess the question is is pre-registration required or just an option? I'm fine either way I'd pre-register and even possibly pay at time, but still having a table open for the walk-ins. I'd hate finding a local match, showing up with gear and cash and finding out that I can't shoot because I didn't pre-register.

I guess the question is is pre-registration required or just an option? I'm fine either way I'd pre-register and even possibly pay at time, but still having a table open for the walk-ins. I'd hate finding a local match, showing up with gear and cash and finding out that I can't shoot because I didn't pre-register.

It all comes down to why a club is doing pre-registration. We started getting more people than we could handle last year, so we made the decision to offer pre-registration to our "regulars" and allow a limited number of walk-ons on the day of the match.

It's a balancing act and if anyone thinks it's easy, just step up to the plate and volunteer to run the registration.

We started getting more people than we could handle last year, so we made the decision to offer pre-registration to our "regulars" and allow a limited number of walk-ons on the day of the match.

Have you had to turn away any walk-ons the day of the match?

Have you had to turn away any walk-ons the day of the match?

Not so far. We try and limit the match to 72 registered shooters. We pre-register 65, which leaves 7 slots for walk-ons. We also see about 5-6 no-show's of pre-registered shooters.

A couple of the indoor winter clubs in MA pre-register w/prepayment because of a limited number of slots available - both are multi-use ranges, and there is a limit as to the amount of time we can commandeer them for.

Prepayment is necessary because people take a much more casual attitude towards letting the slot go to waste, rather than cancel in advance (with refund), if there is no money at stake. No show at the last minute and the match director will be glad to thank you for the donation.

this is happening up by us now, the 8am slot fills up with preregistration, and walk ins got bumped to 1030 start

I understand and that is something we have had to deal with, but you will find that your perspective changes quite a bit when you are the one running the match. Sometimes just gotta do what you just gotta do.

Pre-reg makes for less work for the Match Staff which should translate into better matches that run closer to on time. With crowds approaching 100 shooters I don't see an alternative. Our last match filled up with only one day of registration, 77 shooters a week before the match. We still took in an additional 10. As the stats guy, I won't consider running our match without pre-reg. IF everyone could write legibly and make their numbers clear and fill in all the blanks and fill in the time and... maybe, but we all know that is never going to happen.

I have to pre-register for my closest match in VA to get access. I used to pre-register for the steel match at Griffin Gun Club because it would fill up. Pre-registration isn't a problem, prepayment would depend on th eease of payment and refund if needed.

Dave

I understand why it's done but I hate it. For one it's a mad dash to get registered before it fills up. If it does you're on a wait list so you're not sure for a couple of days what your plans for the weekend are. If you get signed up but something comes up you have to let them know. I'don't like signing up and then cancelling but sometimes it works out that way. Like I said, I understand why it's done, but I'd much rather show up and shoot. If I'm late and get turned away then so be it.

My local USPSA club doesn't do pre-reg, but when I autocrossed they did, and I liked it. It wasn't mandatory, and they allowed walkons. I tried to always pre-reg as it made things easier. They didn't do prepay.

I think it would be nice if the local club started pre-reg for the weekend matches. I'm not the stats guy, but it should help on time starts as well as anticipating match size. A couple of times we have had squads as large as 14. If this starts becoming the normal we will need to figure something out so the days are not so long.

ETA: If it was for a weeknight match I probably wouldn't attend if pre-reg was required. I never know how work is going to go so I'm not sure if I will make it until the last minute.

Edited by ziebart

there is a local club near me that started preregistration. I think in some ways it is an inconvenience in that there is a penalty for no shows. at local matches I just cant commit like I can to a larger one. Life gets in the way a lot of the time. I do think that it is a good idea for the most part if you are able to commit as it can make a larger club match run more efficiently.

What if you had a set number of slots, then allowed pre-registration for say 75%, leaving 25% open for morning of? There will always be morning of's and always be no-shows.

Might even be able to have squads sign up for say an early bird special. If you sign up to shoot earlier you can get a bit of a discount on the fee. That way groups that want to, or can start at 6 could get in and get through before the bulk show up at say 8. But I think that only works if you have an area you can setup all the stages at the same time. Setting up in an indoor range where you have to break down stages half way though would negate any benefit of having people show up early.