Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trauma kits

XDmgunner

My range bag has:

Kotex, Kling, tape, band aids, plastic bag,gloves, and cell phone. I keep it there hoping there is someone available to use it if I get hurt. :surprise:

Truck has a basic First responder Trauma Kit so if they need more to help me they have it :devil:

Edit to add: If your looking for a decent kit try Galls Public Safety Equipment

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

My only caveat to getting a trauma kit is, do you know trauma first aid, because without that training the kit is worthless.

Consider talking to your local hospital, EMT service, Red Cross or the like for recommendations on what to have in a kit and if you don't have it, where to get training.

Edited by jdphotoguy

My only caveat to getting a trauma kit is, do you know trauma first aid, because without that training the kit is worthless.

Consider talking to your local hospital, EMT service, Red Cross or the like for recommendations on what to have in a kit and if you don't have it, where to get training.

Work requires a yearly first aid CPR AED qualification... but my intention is to seek further training.

Edited by XDmgunner

Pretty simple stuff really if its bleeding hold pressure. If its broke splint it so it doesnt flop around. If somethings sticking out dont move it just leave it where its at. If there is major trauma like an auto accident with a potential spine injury dont move them unless they will die if you dont. If there is an injury to the pelvis you dont want to move them either, very vascular area and can bleed out and you never see any blood there are some splinting techniques for the pelvis but I dont think you'll learn them in a first aid class. Otherwise cpr basics. call 911.

Work requires a yearly first aid CPR AED qualification... but my intention is to seek further training.

You're ahead of me on that curve. I need to start looking around for some training, but finding a job is taking precedence.

other thing to consider,..most ranges are semi-remote , multiple bays clubhouses etc. can get confusing..

if it goes down remember to have someone meet the ambulance by the main gate / road tell Operator you have a (red toyota) pickup at the main road to lead in...

remember seconds count,..and the folks in the ambulance don't know every where to look

Just a thought form someone who waited for the ambulance at a match once......

Its also good to have a kit even if you dont know how to use it, there may be someone there that does.

Good point at our matches we have a Thoracic Surgeon, OB/GYN, Nurses and I'm sure others trained in first aid.

Interesting combo, what kind of trauma are you expecting....lol

You really don't need that much. The most common injuries are going to be minor injuries to the hand so you want a supply of good quality bandaids and anti-bacterial ointment.

For serious wounds, some sterile 4x4's, a pressure bandage (sanitary napkins will work) and a quick tourniquet are worth having. Quick clot is good if you can get it. Some elastic gauze and an Ace bandage are always handy.

BUT, as others have pointed out, the single most important thing to have is training - and experience helps.

Its also good to have a kit even if you dont know how to use it, there may be someone there that does.

+1. I've seen that situation, first hand. There's a surprising number of former EMTs, Military Medics, doctors, etc floating around - but they don't all carry a kit, at all times.

Check with your local EMS training officer. We have our local ems instructors come and teach all of our deputies a combat first aid course. Kind of a self or buddy aid thing until help can arrive. The ems folks love the it and so do our deputies.

Here is a odd bit of knowledge I gained...when doing chest compressions, it should match the beat to the song "Staying Alive" from the Bee Gee's.

You really don't need that much. The most common injuries are going to be minor injuries to the hand so you want a supply of good quality bandaids and anti-bacterial ointment.

For serious wounds, some sterile 4x4's, a pressure bandage (sanitary napkins will work) and a quick tourniquet are worth having. Quick clot is good if you can get it. Some elastic gauze and an Ace bandage are always handy.

BUT, as others have pointed out, the single most important thing to have is training - and experience helps.

You only want to apply direct pressure to a wound, you put a tourniquet on a limb-you stop the blood flow, but will most likly lead to it having to be removed. Of course getting help fast is #1.

Here is a odd bit of knowledge I gained...when doing chest compressions, it should match the beat to the song "Staying Alive" from the Bee Gee's.

I say a video about that the other week. It is a pretty good way to remember what to do.