Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 let down = (

Beladran

So I decided to step up into modern times and get a 627

gun came in yesterday evening and was extremely happy with it untill I got home with it and started looking closer.

I am not sure if Ray Charles was the machinest for the chamfer/moonclip cut on this gun but geezus it was rough! There was lips on ever single surface was was sharp enough that I cut several layers of skin off just feeling it. The chamfer job was so rough that I am to embarrased to talk about it on here. Lucky for me I have a 45degree chamfer cutter and a dremil. After two hours of cutting and buffing I got all the burrs and lips off the metal, rechamfered the cylinder, and lightned the 20lb trigger pull. My moon clips are still not wanting to feed right about 20% of the time but its getting better. From the factory it took me almost five minutes to get one moon clip in there. Im still getting catchs with the cylinder. I am thinking about getting some 1200 grit wet sandpaper and smooth the first inch inside of each cylinder. I was even shocked with the ammount of metal shavings I found in the gun. I am guessing I got one off the bottom of the stack or it just skipped the last step in quality control? O well I will make the best of it

Well ... when I got several years back , That was the first gun that I never even shot before I gave it to the gun smith to .."fix". but in defense of S&W they are trying to keep the cost down and they do know that a competitor would rather pay less and do the detail them selfs than pay more at the front end.

It was Henry Ford that said "Successful business is based on close enough" I hated to read that until I realized just how rite he was. Even when I go to a restaurant = I shop for close enough . I don't want to pay for the best meal,from the best restaurant every day. even the shoes we buy are close enough.

But yes it was a let down Worst than handling it for the first time is handling it for the last time :( before you sell it

in defense of S&W they are trying to keep the cost down and they do know that a competitor would rather pay less and do the detail them selfs than pay more at the front end.

I would respectfully completely disagree with you. I'd rather get a gun that didn't have botched up chamfered chambers than something like the OP presented. I've done and do much of my own work but I'd be pissed if I got mine that way.

I got to wonder... wouldn't it be easier, or at least financially more beneficial, for S&W to do a little QA than to pay for two way shipping and some gunsmith time after the fact???

This was the first 627 I haver ever seen like that. I can only assume one slipped by quality control.

Understood. I have several S&W revolvers and I don't recall anything close to what you experienced... It just surprises/upsets me a bit I guess.

I would think S&W would like to know about it, regardless of who fixes it. They would (IMHO) be the ones to do the repairs first and formost. Fixing it yourself probably voids future warranty work, but, more than that, they should be made aware. (just in case they don't follow this forum...) They will wish to make it right. I think the bad rep is probably over the top. There are already enough Ruger shooters!!

My 2 cents was that on my 38 super 627 i started to notice some funny misses at distance that i felt i should be hitting. I also noticed there was some little tails of fouling coming out the barrel and getting on the compensator cover. It looked like it may have been bits peeled off from the plated bullets i was using. I had been trying different loads so i figured the load just wasn't right. I described it to a former armorer shooting buddy and he said it may be a burr in the crown. He took out his fancy jeweler's loop and found one. Then showed me how you could feel it with a fingernail. He was able to lap it out and accuracy is much better. He figured they crowned my barrel near the end of a run and the tool may have been a bit dull. He also said the forcing cone was just a bit off square compared to the cylinder and he fixed that too.

But i did feel a bit let down for what i paid for the gun and how many matches i'd already shot with it in a condition that may have been compromising my accuracy and thus results. I didn't notify or send it to S & W because i already had work done on the gun and i heard i'd have to undo it to send it to them or they would just undo it for me. But i still love the gun and now, because of lack of practice, i'm the weak link in getting the full potential out of the gun. But that's how i had hoped it was when i bought it.

Really I was able to fix most of the problems. The crown is what scares me see pic in the 6&8 o'clock on the barrel... The rifling is actually sticking out past the muzzle. Granted I can fix that to but I might actually call smith on that one

09fb60f7.jpg

The revolvers have been like this for quite a while.

When getting a new S&W revolver the first thing to do is take it apart and deburr everything. Smooths things up a bit, the parts and the frame, then a little lube.

Seems like the company eliminated that portion of the build process some years ago. It's just a necessary step these days.

dont guess anyone has a contact at S&W i could harp at?

I think the Harp at would would have been a warrantee return. If you call now and let them know they will ask you to ship it back. When you let them know you fixed the problem that will probably be met with a "great another a amateur gunsmith" response. I am with the other, their problem they should have fixed it.

Lee

in defense of S&W they are trying to keep the cost down and they do know that a competitor would rather pay less and do the detail them selfs than pay more at the front end.

I would respectfully completely disagree with you. I'd rather get a gun that didn't have botched up chamfered chambers than something like the OP presented. I've done and do much of my own work but I'd be pissed if I got mine that way.

I got to wonder... wouldn't it be easier, or at least financially more beneficial, for S&W to do a little QA than to pay for two way shipping and some gunsmith time after the fact???

I could be wrong ....again

&

I think even Henry Ford would say that 627 is not -Close Enough-

That gun looks pretty rough, but at least it's not dangerous like my 686SSR:

IMG_7873.jpg

S&W has had this gun since 6 January. I haven't heard a thing from them. Considering that this "six-chambers-with-seven-flutes" revolver is the subject of threads on at least 14 shooting forums, I thought I'd get a little quicker response.

It's a simple matter to fix the crown with a 45 degree cutter and the proper pilot. Takes about 30 seconds. This is a hand powered operation, not something you want to chuck in a drill motor.

I recut the forcing cone and muzzle crown on any revo I get just to make sure they are correct. That way you get the most accuracy that particular barrel has to offer (assuming everything else is mechanically as it should be).

Edited by Toolguy

IMG_7873.jpg

S&W has had this gun since 6 January. I haven't heard a thing from them. Considering that this "six-chambers-with-seven-flutes" revolver is the subject of threads on at least 14 shooting forums, I thought I'd get a little quicker response.

WOW! That's pitiful.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_7873.jpg

I wondered what was going on with the pistol. I couldn't find the original string.