Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why is recommended to NOT buy the Super 1050 if you are going to be do

waddo29

According to the Dillon pages on the Enos site, the XL 650 is the recommended machine if you are going to be reloading multiple calibers. I am curious how the 650 differs from the 1050 in that aspect. It seems to me, a complete novice to reloading, that if the Super 1050 can be set up with a quick change the same as the XL 650, then they should both be similarly efficient at reloading multiple calipers. I have multiple pistols and I have been shooting for a while now, I am looking at getting into reloading not so much because of the money, but because I have a 9MM open gun comming and finding ammo has been a problem so far. I also have an STI .40 S&W Limited gun, so if I am going to start reloading it makes sense to load for both. I would appreciate any feed back on the subject.

Todd

The 1050 'quick change', is better than resetting all the dies and everything, but not in the speed/ease realm of the 650 quick change. Even with that $270 kit, it takes a lot longer to shift over. I do it, but try to load a few thousand rounds between switches so I don't have to do it all that often.

I have a 1050 and I swap between 40 and 9 about once a month. It as become about a 5 minute process. I also have a 550 and it is only slightly quicker to do a changeover.

I like the 1050 for the swager. If not for that I would have gotten the 650.

In my opinion, the time it takes to convert from one caliber to another is not an issue. You should be taking the time to clean the press anyway.

The biggest drawback is the cost. The cost of the converstion and toolhead plus powder measure is steep. It's also worth it.

MY advice is to buy the 1050 if you can afford it. Just make sure you have enough brass to load a months worth of ammo per caliber.

At this point I am not really worried about the money. What I am concerned with is getting the best quality machine that will allow me to do the least amount of work. What I am really looking for is a machine that I can get the initial setup done and then pull the handle a couple thousand times to fill up my ammo bag. If the only down fall the 1050 quick change has over the XL 650 is time the time to change it out, I don’t really see that as a problem provided I follow the advice to load in bulk before switching calibers.

Thank you for the feedback

If you want something to put out the most ammo "with the least amount of work" the 1050 is the best thing going besides something like a Camdex or AmmoLoad.

I love my 1050. Call Brian and he'll get you fixed up.

Edited by Will_M

A 1050 with a bulletfeeder is the cats meow. I average 100 rounds in about 7 minutes and that is while being very careful.

Others will debate it but....I also love the electric primer filler. To me they go hand in hand. As I am cranking away a new batch of ammo more primers are being sorted.

Good luck!

Steve

Edited by Bigpops

A 1050 with a bulletfeeder is the cats meow. I average 100 rounds in about 7 minutes and that is while being very careful.

Others will debate it but....I also love the electric primer filler. To me they go hand in hand. As I am cranking away a new batch of ammo more primers are being sorted.

Good luck!

Steve

Agreed!!!

I would concur with the RF-100 thingy. I dont have it, yet. But the rate per hour you see on paper is IF you have all the primers all ready to go.

XL650

6 minutes, 100 rounds.

6 minutes, 1 pick up tube. lol.

10 minutes if for some reason the i pulled the primer case out the box upside down :goof:

EDIT: typo

Edited by Torogi

I have a 1050 (9mm) and 550 (.45), but will probably get the caliber/large primer conversion to do everything on the 1050.

I can see why others like it, but I have an RF-100 and don't use it.

It’s much more pleasant to reload without all that racket. Plus I can hear the occasional crushed primer hit the table and stop to pull/inspect the case, check for jams, etc. I removed the ratchet clicker too. Now I only hear the cases rolling around in the case feeder and Gun-Talk radio.

I guess I'd rather fill the tubes in comfort than listen to 20 minutes of the RF vibrating away. (FWIW, I load 1200 rounds per session.) It probably saves me a little time at the bench with the tubes loaded compared to the RF since you still have to open and dump the primers in the tray and align the tube in the RF, etc.

Just 49 more posts and maybe I will advertise it for sale in the classifieds - around the year 2085. :D

Having loaded on both the 650 and 1050 I can tell the the 1050 is the way to go. I have since sold my 650 and bought conversions for the 1050. I can load

38sc, 40, 45. If you can affort it get the 1050.

Having loaded on both the 650 and 1050 I can tell the the 1050 is the way to go. I have since sold my 650 and bought conversions for the 1050. I can load

38sc, 40, 45. If you can affort it get the 1050.

It is a very big help to me to get recommendations from people who have experience with both units. Thank you for taking the time to give your input

For 9 major I would go with the 1050 because of the primer swagger it is very annonying when you hit a case with a crimped primer pocket and have to stop and take it out on an XL650. If you get the 1050 and don't like it I'll trade you my XL650 straight up.

For 9 major I would go with the 1050 because of the primer swagger it is very annonying when you hit a case with a crimped primer pocket and have to stop and take it out on an XL650. If you get the 1050 and don't like it I'll trade you my XL650 straight up.

That is a very generous offer Ron, I will definitely keep that in mind :roflol:

I switched from a few 650's to a couple 1050's when I only shot 40 and a little 9mm and 38 SC. I no longer shoot 38 SC and thought loading 9mm on a 1050 was a waste. Sold a 1050 and bought 2 650's, one in 40 and one in 9mm. Changed the 1050 over to 223 thinking the swager would be a nice to have. I now own 3 650's and no more 1050's. They both load at about the same rate. I like the 650 a little better, easier to pull the handle and feel the primer getting seated. Now I only load about 20k rounds/yr so I'm far from a high volume user but I think you'll be happy with either press. One 1050 or two 650's if you shoot multiple calibers, about the same cost. Enjoy!

If you are of above average intelligence and are only going to load one or two calibers get the 1050. But for pistol a 650 is more than enough machine. If you ever plan on loading rifle get the 1050.

Keep in mind a 650 pretty much holds its entire value.

I have one of each. The 1050 for high-volume calibers and the 650 for everything else (incl rifle, should I ever do that as my 1050 is not Super). I'm a huge fan of the bullet feeder and to only slightly less extent the RF-100 primer filler.

I use a 650. Have friends with 1050. I load 9mm, 38SC, 40SW, 45APC, .223Rem, and 300 Whisper. I generally reload 1-3K rounds at a time when I reload. Either the 650 or the 1050 will do the work for you, but the cost of caliber conversion kits is much less on the 650, AND one thing that no one has mentioned = WARRANTY. The 650 is a lifetime unconditional warranty, the 1050 is one year. I just got done doing a rebuild of my 650, and just called Dillon up with a list of parts that I wanted to replace because of wear, and they came a couple of days later.

You can knock out about 15 rounds a minute of any of the above calibers - notable exception - the primer swage on the 1050 is great when loading range brass in 9mm and .223, with all the military brass I pick up here. However, with my brass prep process for .223 that is not a problem, and when loading 9mm, if I feel a crimped case when trying to prime, I just toss it aside to deal with later.

But if I was in the market for a 2d Dillon progressive press it would be another 650 because of the warranty. (Don't get me wrong, if someone gave me a 1050, I would take it, and possibly just use it for case prep.

Mark K.