Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT

OS X 10.6.8

Safari 5.1.2

My problem is that Safari is slow to load various web sites including my beloved BE Forum!

Other forums pop up instantly but not BE. I get a short blue line in the address bar and then it stops.

I have "emptied" the cache and reset Safari and have checked and rechecked for the latest updates.

I am trying to go MAC but this web browsing stuff is a pain.

What say you O' sage apple people.

Thanks

Patrick

Mister, I don't know. I have been checking "on" and "off" various boxes in preferences without a change in performance.

Sometimes it loads up quick and moves from page to page well and other times it just sits there mocking me, all in the same session!

Any clues?

Just did a internet speed test while I typed this and got 22Mbps and 24Mbps down and upload respectively

Not rocket fast but good enough for a forum...right?

Patrick

Another option would be to try Chrome or any other browser to confirm that it is your browser. I would bet it is something in the Safari settings or configuration so by using another browser, it would help to confirm this.

Just curious, when you say slow, can you give us a time reference? 5 seconds, 30 seconds, etc.? Do you see the spinning beachball or it just stalls while loading the URL? Any other sites slow or only BE?

I loaded up Chrome and it and Safari are a dead heat, sometimes loading up with a snap and other times 35 seconds or more (including longer that I can wait)

I am not a prolific forum guy but of the 4 or 5 I frequent BE is by far the most troublesome.

At least it looks like it ain't a Safari problem.

Thanks guys.

Oh and I have a HP laptop running side by side it it snaps from page to page just fine.

Patrick

I loaded up Chrome and it and Safari are a dead heat, sometimes loading up with a snap and other times 35 seconds or more (including longer that I can wait)

I am not a prolific forum guy but of the 4 or 5 I frequent BE is by far the most troublesome.

At least it looks like it ain't a Safari problem.

Thanks guys.

Oh and I have a HP laptop running side by side it it snaps from page to page just fine.

Patrick

Double post was a result of my inability to wait a timed 6 minutes for the reply of post. When it did not...I hut the post reply button again and it (7 seconds later) posted.

I guess I am just cranky that my 430 dollar HP unit and surf circles around this 2400 dollar MAC.

What this MAC does well it does very well but browsing BE ain't one of them!

Patrick

Just for curiosity sake, take it to another wifi hotspot and connect there and see if you get the same results. If it improves, something's up with your ISP. You say you have 24mb UPLOAD? Really?!?!?!? 'Cause that's unheard-of fast. Who's your provider? Have you asked them about Mac compatibility.

I'm running Lion and using safari right now. Runs fine. You're running 10.6.8, so that's not Lion, rather Snow Leopard, but I don't see what difference that would make.

$2400? Did you get the 17"?

Mister, I don't know. I have been checking "on" and "off" various boxes in preferences without a change in performance.

Sometimes it loads up quick and moves from page to page well and other times it just sits there mocking me, all in the same session!

Any clues?

Just did a internet speed test while I typed this and got 22Mbps and 24Mbps down and upload respectively

Not rocket fast but good enough for a forum...right?

Patrick

Patrick - just curious, that's www.speedtest.net?

If it makes you feel any better, which it won't, BE is way slow on my computer as well. I'm using a Toshiba laptop and BE takes all day to switch pages or do anything, I just love watching the spinning ball.

Are you holding your mouth just right? Something like this :wacko:

I don't have any of those issues on my mac book pro either...sorry. My chrome (and safari) will crash about once a day (might be my mighty mouse)...glad I learned the cmd,opt, esc routine.

Keep us posted.

I don't think it's a MAC thing. I have 4gb ram on my MacBook Air and it's fine. That' being said Safari will start to suck up all your memory if you keep a lot of tabs open.. I close it when the Mac performance is getting slow. BE is just as fast as other sites for sure.

Try doing an Apple Software Update pass and see if there are Java updates available, that may fix things for you.

Also, try downloading and installing Mozilla FireFox. Make sure to not let it make itself the default browser on it's first startup (unless you want it to be the default browser). If it runs same as Safari and Chrome then the issue is not your Mac or the browsers.

Some ISP's don't provide very fast upload bandwidth which will make websites appear to be slow because it is taking a long time for your request to get to them.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Here is an internet connection speed test site that I trust results from.

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

My maintenance level is very current, so I'm running Safari 5.1.2, but all the way back to last March when I started running Safari on Windows, and later Safari as it came with Snow Leopard on my first Apple, BE has always bopped right along for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 4 year old iMac and a year old air both run great in chrome, safari, and fire fox. Have you contacted someone at the apple store for help. We lost our hard drive last year in the iMac and the customer service at the apple store was amazing. They helped diagnose what was wrong and helped me weigh my options about replacement parts or computer replacement. I'll never go back to a PC.

Edited by reichebrown

A buddy of mine that has he newest macbook pro is having a few problems with the operating system, not sure of the complete details on it. But I have a macbook pro and iPad and MAC air, all run fast with no complaints.

You could go to an Apple store and have them figure it out, just make an appointment before you go.

I don't think your MAC is the problem.

A buddy of mine that has he newest macbook pro is having a few problems with the operating system, not sure of the complete details on it. But I have a macbook pro and iPad and MAC air, all run fast with no complaints.

You could go to an Apple store and have them figure it out, just make an appointment before you go.

I don't think your MAC is the problem.

My experience over the years (and this isn't a slam directed at anyone) is that most computer problems come down to something the user unknowingly did to cause the issue in the first place.

Safari on my Windows 7 64 bit machine is the slowest browser I have upon initial startup. It takes forever to load the home page but it runs about like any other after that. The 64 bit IE is smoking fast but I hate IE enough that I never use it. It's Firefox for me 99.9999% of the time. And BE runs just fine on all of my machines.

This last version of Safari is the worst I've ever seen. I was shocked at how bad when I upgraded machines/OS this summer. :sick:

Details? Just saying something sucks isn't going to facilitate anyone being able to help.

I'm waiting on my buddy to call me back. I don't know the details, but he did switch back to the last operating system. I have held off on upgrading to he new one for now. But, I love my MAC. Your right he or she could have checked something. I would try to get a hold of.the guys at the Apple store if there is one in their area. They would be able to help locate a problem faster do to their experience.