Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OK Appleheads what gives?

P.E. Kelley

This last version of Safari is the worst I've ever seen. I was shocked at how bad when I upgraded machines/OS this summer. :sick:

Details? Just saying something sucks isn't going to facilitate anyone being able to help.

Constantly giving me the "Safari couldn't find the server" (or whatever) message. A simple refresh and it loads just fine.

It's horrible at loading photos on webpages like these forums, if there's a page with multiple photos most of them don't open, you just get the little question mark icon.

Not particularly technical, but it almost seems like in order to make it SEEM faster, it gives up on things much quicker, like opening a page / photo.

I've been using Safari almost exclusively since it came out, on a 400 something mhz G3 and a 933mhz G4, neither of them ever had any of the issues this latest version of Safari does on a much faster machine.

Safari on my Windows 7 64 bit machine is the slowest browser I have upon initial startup. It takes forever to load the home page but it runs about like any other after that. The 64 bit IE is smoking fast but I hate IE enough that I never use it. It's Firefox for me 99.9999% of the time. And BE runs just fine on all of my machines.

OT slightly.

I also tried Safari on my Laptop Toshiba Tecra M11, iCore 3 processor, and it also took for forever to load some forums and websites. I was already using FF but have lately switched to Palemoon which is based on FF, but I find it runs 90% faster and less memory allocation than FF does. www.palemoon.org.

Cheers ....

Well, I waited a few weeks before adopting Lion. (That was my mainframe data processing experience telling me to have a full system backup available before doing the operating system upgrade, which I didn't have until I installed a Time Capsule and got Time Machine up and running.) But once I did install Lion, no problems at all. I did immediately turn off the backwards scrolling feature that works well on iOS devices but flies in the face of decades of regular computer use, and reset one or two other things in system preferences related to gestures and something else in Finder, but Lion is fine. Adobe CS5.5 continued to run without ANY issues, contrary to what I'd heard. I like mission control; I really like Launch Pad (the iOS-like display of installed applications). No downsides to Lion at all that I found.

As to safari, I also have firefox installed for the odd website that just doesn't seem to run well otherwise, but safari is my choice. In fact, before I had my first mac I was in an Apple store looking at machines and was so impressed with the Top Sites feature of safari, I installed it on my windows machine and started using it there by default.

Is there a way in Safari -- on a PC -- to import bookmarks or favorites from other browsers? That's what's really keeping me from giving Safari a whirl; it looks like it could be a good and cool browser, but I don't want to start over if I don't have to....

Is there a way in Safari -- on a PC -- to import bookmarks or favorites from other browsers? That's what's really keeping me from giving Safari a whirl; it looks like it could be a good and cool browser, but I don't want to start over if I don't have to....

I haven't tried this in PC version of safari, but File menu should show an import bookmarks function, at least on mac versions it does ;)

Other way to go, export from IE bookmarks in HTML, safari will import HTML bookmarks fine on all platforms.

Hope this helps