Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

thought the guns made 3gun expensive..

Perhaps I am spoiled by living in the metro phoenix area (and AZ in general), but I find it more difficult to justify spending the money on major matches (entry fees and/or travel) when the shooting experience is very similar to the shooting I can do locally for $15-20 several times a month for 4 stages vs $250-$300 for 8-10 stages.

The matches I am more inclined to spend money on are ones that are nothing like what I can do locally: Pecos Run-N-Gun Biathlon (7 miles of desert foot race with shooting), Tiger Valley 4 man team match (SWAT Challenge open to the public), and Ironman 3 Gun (3-4 times the amount of shooting for the same amount of time on the range).

I'd also rather pay $150 to shoot a major match with no prizes vs $300 for a match with prizes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

i understand the supply and demand argument but it seems like the bigger matches are very classist. guys who dont have the money to travel, hotel, match fee, etc. just cant compete.

of course i complain about this because im in school still. maybe when i finish and get a real job i'll play like cartman and say "screw you guys!" ha ha

I heard that they give all the money to the R.O.'s, and that after the match they all sit around smoking big cigars that they light with 100 bills while doing body shots off super models.

is that why i couldnt get into the spearmint rhino in vegas last year? all the RO's filled up the place huh? ha ha j/k

Try golf or downhill skiing at some destination resort. A 3 day lift pass at Big Sky here in Montana will run you $230. What does a day at Disneyworld cost these days? And there's no prize table at those places unless you get your own at the gift shops. No lunch included either.

ALRIGHT ! I want the NAME of the RO who spilled the beans :angry: , up until now everybody thought we had such a hard job . :ph34r: I KNEW it was to good to last. Now there will be a waiting list for the RO spots instead of shooters.

We need to start a BLACK LIST for those who talk :devil:

i understand the supply and demand argument but it seems like the bigger matches are very classist. guys who dont have the money to travel, hotel, match fee, etc. just cant compete.

of course i complain about this because im in school still. maybe when i finish and get a real job i'll play like cartman and say "screw you guys!" ha ha

Nobody can help on the travel, but most matches need staff who usually get to shoot free. All the non-USPSA matches I know include staff in the real match, they just shoot early. So, that's a way you can play for some less money!

You'd have to go to some local matches and get the experience to staff...but, it's always a possibility!

I mean, if you ask any 3-gunners, we all feel broke...ookay, that's 'cause you can never have enough guns! :devil:

Denise

Is this any different than everything else in life?

But like Denise said, get some experience RO'ing at local matches, volunteer for helping at majors. Be upfront w/ the MD regarding the experience you have (or lack). Show up with a smile on your face, treat everyone the same, have a good time. Many of the matches will let staff not only shoot without paying match fees, but also provide lodging and maybe even some meals.

Edited by Bryan 45

Bryan nailed it. that statement pretty much sums up what is wrong with our country!!! I can't do this or that so I should be given special consideration.

Please, it cost too much to have nice guns, it costs too much to drive, it costs too much to stay in a hotel, it costs too much to practice,.......then stay home, and WORK!!!

As ar as helping out and ROing, remember that most of the really nicer matches are not USPSA matches!! so know the rules, be nice, assist the shooter, you are not a referee that is there it catch a competitor screwing up, you're there to assist the shooter in having a good experience and enjoy themselves, AND be safe. Being a RO/referee will not get you invited back to help at the HPSC.

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

Nobody can help on the travel, but most matches need staff who usually get to shoot free. All the non-USPSA matches I know include staff in the real match, they just shoot early. So, that's a way you can play for some less money!

You'd have to go to some local matches and get the experience to staff...but, it's always a possibility!

I mean, if you ask any 3-gunners, we all feel broke...ookay, that's 'cause you can never have enough guns! :devil:

Denise

And if you are lucky enough to get a chance to RO the Rocky Mountain 3 Gun match, DO IT! Great place to stay, good food and lots of nice people to hang out with. It makes the hard work worth while. Here is a shot outside my cabin at the Whittington Center last year.

Doug

post-8887-0-66334500-1328205267_thumb.jp

I'd also rather pay $150 to shoot a major match with no prizes vs $300 for a match with prizes.

THIS. Not that I have shot a match at that level but I go for the match. Not the table. Not that I have gone to a ton of big matches.

Edited by Kent Grewe

I heard that they give all the money to the R.O.'s, and that after the match they all sit around smoking big cigars that they light with 100 bills while doing body shots off super models.

Aaargh! Posts like this are where Jesse gets all his ideas about match budgets! :surprise:

I'm going Pro as an RO next year not a shooter. I love cigars and models!

• 4 weeks later...

There is no getting around it, this is an expensive sport. Match fees are a small part of it. I have only attended one major three gun match. I am an average shooter and never consider prizes as part of the equation of any match. I figure value of the match.

For ROs, I have worked major pistol matches where I get nothing for it. Pay my own hotel, pay for my food, pay for gas, don't get a chance to shoot the match, and never even got a thank you from the host club. ROs need to be part of the equation.

A match that has good ROs that are friendly and know what they are doing, stages that are challenging, an area where I can get a decent place to sleep, all are part of it. The match I shot had GREAT ROs, a choice in hotels, and was easy to find.

All that said, I can not afford the sport. That is only because there are no matches close to my area and I am not a member of a club that has the space or staff to put one on. When I go to a match, I am taking unpaid time from work,spending money for gas, lodging, ammo, match fees, etc, and still fielding calls related to my business. It has become a prohibitive activity for me so I made a choice to "stay home and work".

If there were a match on a Saturday within a reasonable driving distance, I would be there. It takes me all day Sunday to recover so I can work Monday. Your match fee makes no difference as long as you have a good match. As for the free (nothing is free) lunch, I can't eat your food so don't feel it is necessary

How about the MD making -$0 an hour, and actually loosing money because they pay for stuff out of their own pocket to make the match better because the match fee is too low? Actually finishing a match in the black vs in the red is a tough thing to do.

Yep, its an expensive sport and not everyone can afford it. Complaining about match fees is not going to "fix" anything. If you can't afford the match fee, I suggest you volunteer to RO or just help somehow. Match fees are usually waived for staff.

JJ

Aaargh! Posts like this are where Jesse gets all his ideas about match budgets! :surprise:

That may have be what some did , but when we ran short on pasters I cut up $10 dollar bills and stuck them on the target holes. The other guys were useing 100 bills

That may have be what some did , but when we ran short on pasters I cut up $10 dollar bills and stuck them on the target holes. The other guys were useing 100 bills

Jamie, toss a couple rolls of tape in the truck, it sticks better. :roflol:

How about the MD making -$0 an hour, and actually loosing money because they pay for stuff out of their own pocket to make the match better because the match fee is too low? Actually finishing a match in the black vs in the red is a tough thing to do.

Yep, its an expensive sport and not everyone can afford it. Complaining about match fees is not going to "fix" anything. If you can't afford the match fee, I suggest you volunteer to RO or just help somehow. Match fees are usually waived for staff.

JJ

JJ- thanks for all you do for the sport. :cheers:

:roflol: