Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 9mm

dezz

Just morphed from a Glock shooter into a 1911/2011 lover. Have a Cameron limited for USPSA and looking for a 9mm 1911 to shoot in IDPA ESP. Any thoughts on the Taurus? Would buy a STI Trojan but my money tree is looking dead. Great price and wondering if it had the capabilities of being breathed on to make it a good shooter. Have a trashed left wrist due to dirt bikes and need to minimize the damage or would shoot CDP. thank you :cheers:

I went down a similar road to the original poster - started on Glocks, then shot my first 1911 and fell in love with the SA trigger and the ergonomics. Shot a Para, and now a 2011 in USPSA. I wanted to stay on the 1911 platform for IDPA, rather than jumping back and forth to Glock. But, I didn't want to drop another $2k on a 2011.

I went the Spartan 9mm route, with a Dawson FO front, gapless ice magwell, drop in hammer group, and fitted an SV long flat trigger and a Wilson wide ambi. Add some Tripp 10 rd mags and some grip tape, and it is a great shooting gun. Makes weight by about 0.2 oz.

Mine runs Zero 125 conical HPs quite well.

-Steve

edit for stupid auto miscorrecting phone

Edited by windscreen

I recently picked up a used 9mm Taurus 1911 primarily because of a great price ($350). It has been 100% reliable so far with Wilson mags and 124 fmj ammo. Accuracy is not as good as I'd like so I'm gonna try replacing the bushing and see if that helps. It also shoots low so I'll be replacing the front sight with a Dawson FO.

Consider a Fully Loaded Stainless 9mm Target from Springfield Armory. That's what I use for IDPA ESP. Got a trigger job 2# and bead blasted the stainless to matte finish, & black VZ ambi slime line grips. Only one hitch in 9,273 rounds fired. I used Tripp 10 round mags that fit the box or 9 round Metalform mags with basepads that just make the box.

Edited by 40S&W