Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI .45 ACP Single Stack dilemma!

JayTray

So... about when I think I've decided, I change my mind again. I keep debating on getting a pretty nice (spartan) "turn key" option with no real add ons or mods needed. OR a NICER option(trojan),a bit higher quality pistol that still requires a few bells and whistles ($$$ possible trigger work, mag well, and possibly later refinished $$$)

So I thought I'd pick a few brains for your opinion.

I have a RIA tactical that I am more than pleased with and serves me well. BUT I've wanted an STI 1911 for quite a while.

Here's the big picture:

$1159- Spartan that has been HC by Dawson Precision as well as getting tuned up by DD (slide/frame fit and trigger smoothed and lightened 3.5 lb)

Also comes with DP F/O front and DP ICE magwell.

$999- Base model Trojan. Promo of perfect impact F/O front sight as well.

look forward to some input. THANKS

JT

Edited by JayTray

That is an awesome package for the Spartan, but I have to give the nod to the Trojan - I think you'll be happier with it longer, as it is a more premium pistol. Plus $200 difference equals trigger job, mags, magwell and you should be all set. I'm not sure how important chrome is to you, but I value the Trojan frame (stippled front strap), match barrel, etc over it. Either one will be great to shoot, but I vote Trojan.

I just purchased the Trojan and after handling the Spartan I'm glad I did however mine is in 40. I bought mine off of gunbroker with dp fiber front sight and a Smith and Alexander magwell for 1090 shipped to my free ffl. I hope it runs out of the box and doesn't need work to get it running as I've read that they may need to but since yours is a 45 I would think it would be good to go. They do have the exact configuration in 45.

Edited by Prov1x

I have a Trojan and love it. The trigger is great right out of the box and is is very accurate. All I did was change the grips and add a magwell. Some of the blue is worn off the slide from dryfiring it a ton, but I think thats a good look on it. Besides, STI will take it and reblue it for you if you like, no charge. That's what they did on my brother's Ranger. I vote Trojan, works great and is a very good sexy looking pistol.

Most of your decision depends on what YOU are looking for in your new blaster, if I could add anything I'd mostly just remind you that in the grand scheme of things, with ammo costs, match fees, gas, even time-off to shoot, the gun is the cheapest part, don't let a mere $200 sway your decision. While many of us don't have the ability to spend exorbitant amounts on these things like some, dropping $1k+ on a "toy" isn't small potatoes, so get what you'll be happy with without wishing you had spent a little more.

That said, my opinion only here, forget about the finish, HC adds $300 and is really just bling, get the better quality gun and hard-chrome it in a season or two when the finish $$$ doesn't sting so much, besides AGW does STI's HCing anyways and it's cheaper to just send it straight to them then buying it as an option.

If you're into fixed sights and are ok with a rail, the Duty One is actually the best deal as you get a Trojan's nice features like undercut trigger-guard, etc. plus ambi's and frontstrap checkering for around $150 more.

Otherwise, if you can spend $1k, get a Trojan, if you can't, get a Spartan, simple as that, both are fine guns.

Most of your decision depends on what YOU are looking for in your new blaster, if I could add anything I'd mostly just remind you that in the grand scheme of things, with ammo costs, match fees, gas, even time-off to shoot, the gun is the cheapest part, don't let a mere $200 sway your decision. While many of us don't have the ability to spend exorbitant amounts on these things like some, dropping $1k+ on a "toy" isn't small potatoes, so get what you'll be happy with without wishing you had spent a little more.

That said, my opinion only here, forget about the finish, HC adds $300 and is really just bling, get the better quality gun and hard-chrome it in a season or two when the finish $ doesn't sting so much, besides AGW does STI's HCing anyways and it's cheaper to just send it straight to them then buying it as an option.

If you're into fixed sights and are ok with a rail, the Duty One is actually the best deal as you get a Trojan's nice features like undercut trigger-guard, etc. plus ambi's and frontstrap checkering for around $150 more.

Otherwise, if you can spend $1k, get a Trojan, if you can't, get a Spartan, simple as that, both are fine guns.

The duty one has a bull barrel. So you could not shoot it in single stack division or in IDPA CDP.

From www.stiguns.com.........The barrel is a 5.0" fully supported STI International ramped bull barrel.

My choice would be for the Trojan (I have one) and spend the $200 on any add ons you want.

Randy

Edited by redwoods

Hello: Do you reload? If you don't I would get the Trojan in 40. If you do I would get the Spartan and start collecting brass. I would not get a hard chromed Spartan untill you see if you are happy with it. I have one of the original batches when they came out. I am very happy with it but have chechered the front strap and added a new Dawson fiber front sight that is 0.100" wide. It shoots very well and is still tight after 6000 rounds or so. I don't like the Trojans front strap treatment since it does not offer any grip at all for me. I have shot both pistols in 45 and the Trojan also in 40. When the buzzer goes they both went bang and I enjoyed shooting them. At that time all the pistols had skate tape on the front strap. Besides having the Spartan with wear marks is sexy :roflol: Thanks, Eric

Personally I would spend the money Trojan. Buy what you can now, upgrade later. If you buy a gun that has all that already done to it, like the spartan does, you will never be able to improve the gun. I have owned a spartan, which is a great gun, don't get me wrong, but I would buy the Trojan.

Thanks to all who replied!

All very valid points. As mentioned $1k for a toy indeed. Exactly my point and why I have concern on making the educated choice.

Yes, was asked if I reload. I do for both 45 and 40.

I will check out Brazos and gunbroker. I was focused on DP because they are local and of course DD reputation as a smith.

So far, the TROJAN certainly has the nod. I like it...

Ill keep you posted for those interested.

thanks again!!

JT

Edited by JayTray

The duty one has a bull barrel. So you could not shoot it in single stack division or in IDPA CDP.

From www.stiguns.com.........The barrel is a 5.0" fully supported STI International ramped bull barrel.

FWIW, the Duty Ones are available with bushing-barrels too (in fact that's what most of the usual suspects like Shooters Connection, Dawson's, Brazos, etc. order as they know the rules in our games), the bull-barreled ones are out there though, so I could have been more specific.

Also, in all honesty I need to amend my earlier comment: having owned and shot a few Trojans, and also having shot a few Spartans, between just those two, I'd say just get a Spartan... IMO as a Trojan owner the only thing better about it is the under-cut trigger-guard, otherwise, the Spartan is just as awesome. Especially in .45 (more so than 9mm or .40), the Trojan's ramped-barrel isn't really worth as much as one might think function-wise, and the STIppling isn't much worth raising a fuss about...

That's why I mentioned the Duty One, and for a couple more hundred there's the Sentry as maybe a better option. Those guns offer things that are a cut above what the Spartan offers, the Trojans really only offer the ramped-barrel and under-cut trigger-guard, and the Spartans and Trojans are put together and fitted equally as well IMO from the several I've handled.

Edited by ck1

I voted for the Hard chrome Spartan.. because i have a thing for shiny guns... but i actually have a Trojan in .45 and love it.. and its stainless.

Here is a pic

Dan

Dan

Very nice! I havent seen the Trojan in stainless. Very sharp.

Thanks to all that added their input.

Bit of a change to original game plan. A local gun shop had both the Trojan and a lawman for comparison.

The Lawman was very similiar to the trojan, except for a few options: More aggressive front strap checkering, lower profile novak adj. sights, forged steel frame,Slide is forged barstock, aluminum STI trigger, and a steel MSH. Basically for a little more $$ it just felt better in my hand. FWIW.

Looking forward to breaking it in soon

thanks again

post-29482-0-36980800-1323266624_thumb.j

I have the HC Spartan from Dawson. Love it! Not disappointed in anyway and I have zero feelings that I have an "inferior" gun to the higher priced ones out there. Now if I could only get the operator to cooperate with it, maybe I can win something with it, haha.

Thanks to all that added their input.

Bit of a change to original game plan. A local gun shop had both the Trojan and a lawman for comparison.

The Lawman was very similiar to the trojan, except for a few options: More aggressive front strap checkering, lower profile novak adj. sights, forged steel frame,Slide is forged barstock, aluminum STI trigger, and a steel MSH. Basically for a little more $$ it just felt better in my hand. FWIW.

Looking forward to breaking it in soon

thanks again

Now THAT is a beautiful pistol! Looking forward to a range report in the near future!

Thanks JayTray... she sure is a beauty..

I hear that they stopped making them a while ago ..

so when i saw this one being offered up i snapped it up.. It was barely even broken in...

I must be part crow or magpie.. because i sure do like shiny guns :roflol:

Dan

Dan

Very nice! I havent seen the Trojan in stainless. Very sharp.