Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10mm springfield 1911

G+16

yup.

might need a lesser powered recoil spring to get it to cycle reliably. and maybe 40 S&W mags, but try the 10mm first since they might work for you just fine. a "true" 40 S&W mag will position the round forward and it will be closer to the feed ramp. this can reduce the amount of nosedive a cartridge experiences before it hits the feed ramp. but as stated, try the 10mm first and if they work, you're good to go.

Thanks that's what I thought, but I'f been out of the game for a while :angry: , but everything goes right jumping back in next year, next question if I changed the barrel would this pistol still work for L-10 in usps?

A couple years ago I found a full-custom hard-chrome 1911 Caspian in 10mm done by Glades Gun Works, and picked it up dirt cheap. I popped in a Kart EZ-Fit .40 barrel, changed to a 12.5# recoil spring, and have been using it (off and on) in Single Stack Division ever since. The only thing that worried me was the unramped barrel--seems like pretty much all the .40 1911s you see have ramped barrels--but it functions perfectly. Sam shot it at the Western States Single Stack Championship back in January and it ran great.

I have a really nice custom Colt Delta Elite 10mm that I have considered converting to .40, but since I have several other nice 1911s in .40 caliber I have decided to leave it 10mm, at least for now.

Not to rain on any ones parade but I have read that Springfield used .45 slides and simply cut their 10mm barrels to fit the .45 slides. If this is so the .40 barrels on the market will not fit for the 10mm to .40 conversion.

I think it was in one of Patrick Sweeney's books on the 1911.

Not to rain on any ones parade but I have read that Springfield used .45 slides and simply cut their 10mm barrels to fit the .45 slides. If this is so the .40 barrels on the market will not fit for the 10mm to .40 conversion.

I think it was in one of Patrick Sweeney's books on the 1911.

Why would that be a problem? The only differences between the 10mm and 40S&W that I'm aware of is the length of the case, which the new barrel resolves, and the size of the primers used. If they use a 45 slide and the bigger breachface works okay with 10mm then it should work just as well with the 40S&W.

I think what he is saying is that the 10mm guns aren't the same as the .40sw guns that Springfield made. I think the 10mm guns that springfield made where the Omega or something and where different. If the gun is just a regular 1911 with a regular 10mm barrel then yes any .40 barrel will fit. Its the reason I asked for pictures to see what the OP actually has.

Is it one of the "Linkless" designs? If so I'd leave it as a 10MM, but that's me.

I had one of the "Linkless' SA 1911's back in the day. It was a great gun once I got the trigger squared away. I would leave it as a 10mm also and look for a 'Linkless' 40. Probably should have hung onto that one.

Why would that be a problem? The only differences between the 10mm and 40S&W that I'm aware of is the length of the case, which the new barrel resolves, and the size of the primers used. If they use a 45 slide and the bigger breachface works okay with 10mm then it should work just as well with the 40S&W.

I am not talking about the width of the breechface cut or the Omega or anything else that has been brought up. The width of the barrel hood is different on a 40/10 barrel vs. the 45 barrel which means the slides are also different. According to the article Springfield used 10mm barrels with .45 hood dimensions , this configuration IS NOT in current production. This may be true , it may not be true , it may have only been during part of their production but it is something to be checked before laying down cash if a .40 conversion is the reason you are buying the handgun.

Sorry I brought it up , won't happen again.

I am not talking about the width of the breechface cut or the Omega or anything else that has been brought up. The width of the barrel hood is different on a 40/10 barrel vs. the 45 barrel which means the slides are also different. According to the article Springfield used 10mm barrels with .45 hood dimensions , this configuration IS NOT in current production. This may be true , it may not be true , it may have only been during part of their production but it is something to be checked before laying down cash if a .40 conversion is the reason you are buying the handgun.

Sorry I brought it up , won't happen again.

Chill out my friend! I don't believe anyone here was questioning your knowledge. I personally was trying to learn something, and you're right about the barrel hoods, there is a .040 difference between my .40 and .45 hoods. If you had put that info in your original post I probably wouldn't have even posted a question. It's all good! :cheers:

+1 to the Spartan buy. The linkless above seems to be non-standard barrel and recoil plug. While you could change to .40 S&W, you might be better off starting there and staying with more readily available replacement parts.

+1 to the Spartan buy. The linkless above seems to be non-standard barrel and recoil plug. While you could change to .40 S&W, you might be better off starting there and staying with more readily available replacement parts.

Spartan is only in 9mm and 45acp, if you want 40s&w you need to go with a Trojan

The gun in question that the OP was looking at is a linkless 10mm

10mm SA

That particular gun seems like a spendy proposition for a 40 cal SS gun to me. Unless you really like shooting a GI style gun. I'd be looking at a magwell, grip safety, grips, and a front sight for that. I'd want a different rear sight too, but that's preference.

Then you have to find a 40 Omega barrel, or maybe buy a new 40 barrel and guide rod (if that would work in the Omega).

By the time you're done adding all that to a $850 dollar pistol...There are better options.

Off line for a while , live happens. Jake has the right pistol marked, I emailed the owner and asked if he would concider offers and he will but I have not had time to call him and arrange to meet and look it over, the price do seem a little steep for a shooter, plus adding mag well,new barreling, beavertail, hammer :mellow: If I get time to see can not get his price down I may have to pass. Thanks for all your input