Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun 2012

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was told that only wimps shoot open, What does that mean ?

That its a good division to switch to! :wub:

@D.Hayden: The "other" Chris has been in Open forever...

Edited by gose

to Open or not to Open, that is the question...

Open! I want to see all the new toys.. and it moves me up one spot in Tactical

Heh, it would have been an easy choice if all my stuff was ready to go, but Im not going to have time to get my open pistol running before the match, so I'll have to borrow one (or maybe just use my limited one). I wont have the shotgun until end of next week, so I'll be betting on that its working OOB...

I'll Openify the rifle by slapping on a bipod, so at least I have one out of three ready to go...

Been wanting to shoot Open for so long that I'm not sure I can suffer through another match in Tac ;)

You can borrow one of my open guns, I even have a bladetech holster to fit them. Both are 9's, there's the full on USPSA Open or the Steel gun. Both will shoot factory ok or you can shoot that wicked stout Federal LE stuff Keith gave me. I think I have 100+ laying around.

Not that I'm trying to get you out a my division or anything... ;)

Edited by TMC

to Open or not to Open, that is the question...

Open! I want to see all the new toys.. and it moves me up one spot in Tactical

Heh, it would have been an easy choice if all my stuff was ready to go, but Im not going to have time to get my open pistol running before the match, so I'll have to borrow one (or maybe just use my limited one). I wont have the shotgun until end of next week, so I'll be betting on that its working OOB...

I'll Openify the rifle by slapping on a bipod, so at least I have one out of three ready to go...

Been wanting to shoot Open for so long that I'm not sure I can suffer through another match in Tac ;)

Gose:

I vote you move to Open. I know you are tired of practicing loading a shotgun every night.

IMPORTANT: A reminder about rule 3.4, which reads "ammunition containing tracer, incendiary, armor piercing, steel jacketed or steel/tungsten/penetrator core projectiles is unsafe and prohibited.".

As well as being a match rule, all steel-containing projectiles are prohibited at the Rio Salado Sportsmans Club range due to the risk of fire. Possession of steel projectile ammo at the SMM3G match will be grounds for DQ, regardless of whether the ammo is used on a stage, on your belt, or in your range bag. Please leave all your steel ammo at home.

Steel ammo FAQ:

Q) The stage only has paper targets, so can I use my steel projectile ammo on this stage?

A) No, steel projectiles are not OK, even if the stage has no steel targets. If we find any in your possession, you will be DQd.

Q) My projectiles attract a magnet, but only because the jacket is steel. There is no penetrator core, so this ammo should not damage steel targets. Can I use my steel projectile ammo?

A) No, steel projectiles are ANY projectiles that attract a magnet - not just projectiles with a penetrator core. Such ammo is banned at RSSC. If we find any in your possession, you will be DQd.

Q) My ammo has a steel cartridge case that attracts a magnet - is it banned?

A) Only steel projectiles are banned. Steel cases themselves are OK, but bear in mind that much of the ammo loaded in a steel case also has a steel projectile, so make sure you still check the projectile.

Q) I checked my rifle ammo, so I should be OK, right?

A) No, the steel ammo ban applies to rifle ammo, pistol ammo and shotgun ammo - check ALL your ammo (yes, we once had a guy bring steel birdshot to a 3-gun match).

Q) My ammo is all commercial, not military surplus, so I should be OK, right?

A) We had 5 competitors DQd last year for unsafe ammo. Several were using commercial ammo that was made with a steel jacket. Check all your projectiles with a magnet. If you forget to do this at home, a magnet will be available at registration and on every stage. Please take the time to do this check now - we hate DQing folks, but we will have no choice if we catch you at the match with ammo that attracts a magnet.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

LADIES - I had this demented idea!

So, when I was at Fallen Brethren, I ran into Deb Cheek with her cute little hat with mittens teddy bear thing. While the guys were laughing...well it was so cute! :wub:

So, Deb, being the generous and awesome lady that she is, sent me a leopard one! I love that thing!!

Anyway, my demented idea is that all the ladies going to Superstition bring some sort of "animal" clothing, hat etc. When we're there, we get our picture taken and send it to 3-Gun Nation or whoever, and the caption is...wait for it...

The Ladies of 3-Gun are animals!!! :devil:

Now normally, I avoid cameras like the plague, but...what do you think????

Denise (There maybe be something truly twisted in my brain!)

Your dementia is entertaining, to say the least. See you there.

LADIES - I had this demented idea!

So, when I was at Fallen Brethren, I ran into Deb Cheek with her cute little hat with mittens teddy bear thing. While the guys were laughing...well it was so cute! :wub:

So, Deb, being the generous and awesome lady that she is, sent me a leopard one! I love that thing!!

Anyway, my demented idea is that all the ladies going to Superstition bring some sort of "animal" clothing, hat etc. When we're there, we get our picture taken and send it to 3-Gun Nation or whoever, and the caption is...wait for it...

The Ladies of 3-Gun are animals!!! :devil:

Now normally, I avoid cameras like the plague, but...what do you think????

Denise (There maybe be something truly twisted in my brain!)

I have to ask this because this MIGHT become an issue this year under the rules:

2.5.3 Abandoning a firearm during a stage in any location other than a safe abandonment location as stipulated in the stage briefing. Firearms mayonly be abandoned in one of the following conditions:

2.5.3.1 Loaded, safety catch fully engaged, muzzle pointed in the designated safe direction.

Since it says NO WHERE IN THE RULES that all safeties of the firearm must be Engaged. IF I have a WORKING Bever Tail safety and abandon the pistol with the thumb safety on FIRE on a 1911/2011 pistol, I would not be DQ based on the wording of 2.5.3.1

Is this Correct?

Edited by DocMedic

I have to ask this because this MIGHT become an issue this year under the rules:

2.5.3 Abandoning a firearm during a stage in any location other than a safe abandonment location as stipulated in the stage briefing. Firearms mayonly be abandoned in one of the following conditions:

2.5.3.1 Loaded, safety catch fully engaged, muzzle pointed in the designated safe direction.

Since it says NO WHERE IN THE RULES that all safeties of the firearm must be Engaged. IF I have a WORKING Bever Tail safety and abandon the pistol with the thumb safety on FIRE on a 1911/2011 pistol, I would not be DQ based on the wording of 2.5.3.1

Is this Correct?

It is a well-established ruling that the THUMB safety, if present, needs to be fully activated. Same as when holstering a pistol in USPSA.

This is one of the situations where our 6 page rulebook can't hope to cover every range lawyered eventuality. The MD/RM would be the final arbiters, and I would not fancy a shooters chances if they had abandoned a 1911/2011 with only the grip safety activated.

Is there going to be a green army men stage this year? If so, is it foolproof?

Last year it seemed like they didnt always register the proper hits.

All I know is there will be some fools there to test it :cheers: