Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 1911 in .40SW poll:

gunfixer

Gonna get a .40SW 1911 soon and it'll likely be another STI as they ARE excellent,

I love my Trojan, HC, 9mm, but I am always curious what other folks think?

Please participate in my poll and also make a response as to why you answered as you did..

Thanks all..! :cheers:

Edited by gunfixer

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Springfield .40 is what your looking for.

Rich

GooD luck

Just have to keep your eyes open. Rich finds them pretty regularly and I've had 3 loadeds and a Trophy match in .40.

If I was you I would have a smith build you one. Doesn't have to be anything fancy just needs certain parts to run. If not I think STI has gotten their ramps fixed. 1911s in .40 can be a pain to get going but once they are I love the way they shoot.

I have a Trojan .40 with a trigger job by Bobby at Freedom Gunworks. It's had 370 rounds through it so far, so nothing definitive, but no trouble yet. That's with Federal American Eagle FMJs, Federal HST JHPs, and Hornady Critical Defense (like a "ballistic tip" or plastic-filled JHP). The first 200 rounds were with the stock mag that came with the gun; the rest were Tripp System (10rd) .40 magazines. (I bought the .40, not 10mm, mags since I don't have a press and will be running factory ammo for a while.)

Again, the round count is too small to be anything but early data, but zero hiccups so far isn't too shabby. I plan on putting MUCH more down the pipe in the coming months.

Oh, and the pistol itself feels great. Bobby did a really nice trigger and I'm loving the gun so far.

--John.

I found a stock, lightly used SSC locally and bought it to give SS Major a try. I've only put 200 factory rounds through it, but its not flawless yet. It is lacking front strap checkering, but skate tape will work just as well. Need to order some system mags, install the high EGW mag catch, and load some long ammo. Then I'm hopeful.

If you're serious, and have the money to spend. I would look for a well known 'smith's custom on the used market, or have one built by someone who knows the .40's and what it takes to get them running. As a custom, a Springfield, Caspian, Dan Wesson or even STI would be fine as a base gun. I would place more importance on the gunsmith.

Edited by DWFAN

i bought a Fusion kit and had a Gunsmith put all the parts i love on a 1911... koenig hammer, sv trigger etc....

I've been loosely considering that as well, getting the Fusion kit anyway.. My hold-up w/ that is I've ordered from

Tom in the past and delivery of the slide/frame was really slow.. I am not a very patient guy.. :rolleyes: I blame it on my Dad..! Lol.!

If I do this, I will order from STI directly; I've already spoken to them about it.. Bob's Fusion goods are made by STI as well...

TRied STI more times than I like to say :angry2: NEVER happy with them

Enlighten me.

My Brazo's Edge has been flawless but I want a Trojan in 40.

There seems to be a love/hate relationship with this pistol.

I almost feel like I should just get a 45 in single stack.

TRied STI more times than I like to say :angry2: NEVER happy with them

Enlighten me.

My Brazo's Edge has been flawless but I want a Trojan in 40.

There seems to be a love/hate relationship with this pistol.

I almost feel like I should just get a 45 in single stack.

I have a .40 Edge that is terrific, and I am very likely to be doing a Trojan

since I've had 100% excellent service out of my 9mm Trojan as well...

Magazines are almost always the problem if any, and I will be using Tripp Cobra's

as always, no matter which I end up with..

As to the .45 you sure could, but I want to have all one caliber for carry & competition..

If I was to shoot .40 in Single Stack, I'd probably just fit up a bushing barrel to the Zaperroli franken-gun Colt I use for L-10. I don't know that I'd change calibers to shoot Major in SS (.45 now) since the old Wilson/Essex gets the job done. My next Single Stack gun is going to be in .38 Super to see if two extra rounds will make up for scoring minor.