Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 without case feeder

Yes... slower... but if it's a good deal, you can always add the casefeeder.

But seriously, the 650 was pretty well designed to run with a the case feeder. Many folks load without one, and just add the cases to the clear case feeder tube manually.

How fast do you want to load? How much money do you want to spend? Only you can find the balance point. If it is a good deal, I would buy it, try it out, and add the case feeder later if you wanted to.

Let us know what you did!

I bought just the 650 but quickly realized that a casefeeder would be the way to go.

No doubt.

The nice thing is that if you know you want to go there but the $'s are a little tight, you can do it in stages. Sometimes it is easier to get that past the finance committee. :rolleyes:

i shoot 500-600 a month, guy asking under $300 for it,is that an ok deal?

1. That is a Fantastic deal

2. You don't really need the "power" of a 650 if you reload 600

rounds a month (I can reload that in less than 3 hours on my

Square Deal.

3. BUT, you're paying less for your 650 than I payed for my

Square Deal:(

4. If there's AnyThing wrong with your 650 - Dillon will fix it

For FREE.

Grab it !!!

I'd load with it a bit before I decided to buy a case feeder for it,

with such a low reload rate (150 rounds/week). Might be "overkill".

You can always add it if you feel that loading for 2 hours a month is

"too much":)

Good luck.

Jack

As said above that sounds like a great deal. You could buy the casefeeder and be around the price of the press alone. As for no case feeder, I don't use one with mine. I don't have electricity in the building mine is in. I'm new to reloading and learning as I go but I would think 300 hundred an hour wouldn't be unreasonable. You may get more or less depending on how many primer tubes you load ahead of time. It's for sure a lot quieter, more peaceful without it. It also gives me a last chance to look over the brass.

if you're a handy sort of guy, you can always build your own casefeeder too. there's been a few people on YouTube who have done just that.

my casefeeder equipped 650 was used, but not abused. got it for $600 face to face. so yeah, I think you're getting a deal.

Tx for replies, I feel a lot more confident now about closing that deal

Great deal there,, got one for $480 shipped a couple weeks back hade 2 extra complete quick setups so about the same deal. If funds are tight the case feeder is a easy project

I can't see having a 650 without a casefeeder. A 650 without a casefeeder is called a 550. Jump on the deal and definately get a casefeeder. Good luck. :cheers:

Not true at all. The 650 auto indexes, the 550 does not. The 650 has a 5 station tool head, the 550 has a 4 station.

These are HUGE differences with a number of ramifications that I'm not going to get into here.

I have a cheap friend who basically extended the 650 feeder tube up another couple of feet to hold more rounds. He likes it.

I believe he gets a bit over 50 rounds per filling. It works for him.

I thought about extending mine, but I wouldn't be able to reach it then. I also thought about making a tube with at pin similar to the primer tube. I just haven't taken the time yet.

I bought just the 650 but quickly realized that a casefeeder would be the way to go.

I tell customers who tell me they want 650 w/o a Casefeeder - after you've loaded with it for about 10 minutes - you'll wish you had the Casefeeder.

be

I wouldn't use one without it. For me, the 650 was a safety upgrade, not a speed upgrade.

Now I know that thousands of people have reloaded probably hundreds of millions of rounds safely with the 550. But part of getting older is knowing your limitations and flaws. For me, its a general inability to tune out distractions and sometimes inattention to detail.

I've taken a number of steps to minimize the chance of a problem, including a "sterile" work area, no phones, no kids, no tv, no radio along with frequent breaks to optimize the human side.

On the mechanical side, the auto indexing along with the abiliity to use a dillon powder check die is a big help. Finally, the case feed allows me to keep my head on the left side of the press where I am constantly checking the powder level, bullet alignment and visual quality of the round just before it goes into the bin.

Don