Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need stability shoes

raysracer

I have somewhat flat arches and I like my North Face HedgeHogs.

1315313-p-2x.jpg

I've had two pairs of the Hedgehogs now, I had an early version and liked them well enough to try the 3rd version. They are fairly sneakeresque trail runners with Gore-Tex liners. That really helps in the wet grass and snow. But if you live some where dry, I've heard the Merrel Moab Ventilators are nice for the price. I'd say if you have flat arch issues, trail runners/low top hikers are going to feel better on your feet than more racey type shoes, but that's just been my experience. As for actual race type shoes, ASICS have always fit me best in running shoes, so maybe you should try some of their soccer shoes. But a lot of people with low arches also like New Balance, although I have no first hand experience.

Flat feet does not necessarily mean that pronation occurs.

Dave Sevigny's choice of shoes does not mean that it is the correct choice for you.

OP, you are correct in thinking that stability shoes are the way to go for someone who's arch collapses, and therefore pronates.

Salomon Speedcross, Land sharks, Merrel Moabs, TNF boots are all neutral shoes designed for someone with a neutral gait and lack medial posting that gives the stability a pronator needs.

Unfortunately, there are not too many aggressively treaded shoes out there built with the medial posting you'd need. Some trail runners, such as the Mizuno Cabrakan could be something to look at.

Alternatively, a neutral shoe as suggested above with a properly sized Superfeet insole (green/orange) would be a good alternative.

I'm a triathlete and have worked at a running store doing technical running shoe fits for over 4 years now.

Unregistered was correct in saying "Flat feet does not necessarily mean that pronation occurs." find out first if you really need them, i.e. do your feet hurt after standing/running with a normal shoe after a long periods of time. I'm not a big fan of cheap orthopedics, I find them to be more of a cushion then actual support, I would go see a foot doctor and have them specifically make them for the application you want them use them in.

When I Joined the Army the first thing they tested me was seeing if I had flat feet, after so they basically told me I had to buy "stability" shoes. Well after 6 years of running in the Army my feet would always be fatigued and a bit swollen after a long run, but since I was never told different I never thought it was because of my shoe selection. Fast forward 3 years later, after taking study analysis of bare foot running for my degree in exercise science. I find that my feet don't over pronate at all. But the Stability shoes I had at the time in the comparison is were my pain came from due to placing my feet in such a way that it added stress.

I shoot in barefoot shoes - I'm a mild over-pronator and used to wear light stability shoes (Mizuno Elixirs, NB 749s) but have since switched to only wearing barefoot shoes (NB MT10 outdoors, NB MX20 indoors). It's not for everyone, but many people who would overpronate benefit from the shorter stride (when done correctly) that a barefoot running technique uses.

the MT10 is my goto shoe when I run on the road I like them alot, but I've tried to shoot with them but I find my self slipping a bit in the dirt, and its a no-go for the mountains. I've looked at the Speed cross3 shoes from Salomon for both mountain running and shooting. Shooting wise there great, but in the mountains I need something with a little less heel lift. Speedcross3 are 9mm which is still a significant amount of heel, Still encourages a significant amount of heel striking (bad!). So I'm going try a set of Salomon FELLcross when I can pinch the pennies for them. The biggest difference is that the Fellcross have a 4mm Heel lift, which in courage mid-foot running. This way I can get double purpose out these shoes. heres a great review about them. Salomon FellCross, running blog

13426.jpg

I was looking at the speedcross 2 because of the stability post it is supposed to have. I just had my gait videotaped at the roadrunner sports. My arch collapses big time. No wonder my feet hurt from standing and running.

I got a semi custom orthotic from the store, I'll give it a try.

What is heel lift and why is it important?

Edited by raysracer

^^^ just do a google search on that.

I just had to do a google search on fallen arches and pronation.

not to totally derail this thread, but what intrigues me is those guys who can run marathons barefoot.

so I spent a little time google'ing that too.

I was being seen by a chiro last summer. His first two comments to me (it was summer time and I was wearing shorts and my Adidas sandals) were:

"OMG! You have the worst case of Osgood Schlacter's I have ever seen?" (however that is spelled)

"WOW! Your arches have really fallen."

"You should really think about getting some orthotics made for your shoes/feet."

At some other time, I had an appointment with my general practioner. He is actually a physician's assistant. He worked in the clinic at my "college" at about the same time I was a "student" there. So I told him what the chiro had told me. I got up off the exam table and stood barefoot on the floor, and said, "See? He says I have flat fleet....I thought that was a disqualifying condition for military service."

His reply was along the lines of "You have flat fleet...big deal...SOOOO!" :rolleyes:

What is heel lift and why is it important?

Basically how far your heel is lifted above your toes, Minimalist running shoes are usually 4mm or less. On flat surfaces I dought you can tell the difference between a 9mm vs a 4mm, but if you do any mountain trail running and going down hill for extensive periods of time it could become an issue.

I have a box in the garage with all the turf shoes recommended here on ENOS> :wacko:

I suffer from terribly from over pronation with an added Plantar Facistis(?) Been to the Foot Dr. he pointed towards the Saucony's and New Balance for over pronation and gave me a cortizone shot. He also sold me some inserts and they have helped. I found some inserts at Cabelas that are the same as what he DR. was selling, for a tad bit less.

I have good luck with any shoe, one size up, with inserts and good support socks. Right now I wear Columbia mid rise hiking boot. I can go all day.

• 1 month later...

Try these. I am a size 12EE. Many of the recommendations here just don't have enough width and volume (sometimes mutually exclusive). These Roclite 295s appear to be one of the few wide/volume shoes out there that have soft-compound rubber cleats. I may look into the new NB MT110, which may not sufficiently high cleats.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-I8RC29B.html

Have been looking at this for awhile and it seems that the aggressive sole shoes all run D width. Is there a good "normal" formed shoe with aggressive sole for those of us with size 13 2e feet?

• 3 weeks later...

I had "flat feet". I started wearing Vibram Five Fingers shoes about a year and a half ago... the transition was hard, but the strength I have developed in my feet is amazing. I have actually started to develop an arch.

The transition period involves both strengthening you feet and calf muscles, and they will ache at first.

Once you get past the "odd" factor, they are amazing. However, they are not exactly work appropriate. At work, I wear the New Balance Minimus (MT10). To be perfectly honest, after wearing minimalist shoes for so long, wearing regular shoes or boots feels like lacing on 2x4's to the bottom of my feet.

I wear my Five Fingers for shooting in everything except rain/muddy environments. I still break out my Nike LandSharks for mud (I do not like wet feet all day!). The soft soles of the five fingers let you feel your environment, such as edges of shooting boxes, and they seem to grip loose gravel, soft dirt better than my cleats. They also give good traction on wood walkways / hard surfaces. I was afraid of the lack of ankle support to begin with, but so far I have not had any issues (I do have a very bad right ankle, but it has never been an issue)

I went through many pairs of shoes trying to fing JUST the right pair. After many days with sore ankles and feet, I tried the Salomon Speedcross 3. I now have 2 piars plus a pair of their boots for shooting in real harsh rain or snow. I also boght a peir of Salomons for every day wear. I could not be happier with them.

As a Foot and Ankle surgeon, I'd recommend Merrells, Eccos, Keens and even some of the North Face products. Go with an ankle high as this will give you more stability and lessen your chances of ankle sprains.

Avoid gimmicky shoes, like Nike's that have large areas cut out, these breakdown quickly put your foot at risk.