Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

115's bad?

rupture

Ah, the issue and I had a long conversation with said builder about this very topic.

It centers around this issue.

a) in a 9Major and especially a short gun, you have to bump the powder up even with 124's to make Major due to the short barrel and needed velocity, and that's more than a 5" gun, as a result case pressures are higher yet again than a 5" gun for the same powder, now add holes to the barrel and you have to bump again.

B) drop a 115 on top of that load and you have to add more powder again... see the problem starting to show... you are already running a wicked high case pressure and now you need to add more powder to make major given the small bullet.

As a result, you cause the chamber to take undo wear as a result of cases expanding much more than they need to with 124's. I know of 2 of said guns that when using 115's and even some loads with 124's, had a number of cases *stick* in the barrel, and would not extract. By the time you get a squib rod, and push them out they have cooled enough that they will come out. In one extreme case, this then created all kinds of havoc with the top lugs, the bottom barrel feet and the link. Dropping the pressure back to a more tolerable amount with a different load fixed the fte issue completely.

This is a well documented issue with some forms of fte, the case expands due to pressure, *larger* than the chamber can support, basically *gluing* itself to the chamber wall, and the extractor can't pull it out... once it cools, it will come out normally, but those cases won't drop back in. Long term exposure to this issue will either expand the chamber *or* more likely cause a chamber failure or cracking.

Also remember, smiths all have a recipe that they *know* works, it's been proven time and time again, to deviate from that recipe *grossly* will put the tolerances that they build to in unproven territory, and make their lives miserable with support that would have not been needed. All of them like their guns to be used in their *comfort zone*, even to the point, some will not provide warranty if they can prove that it wasn't.... This one is *really good* about support, but he's really picky about what his customers try to do with their guns :)...

Alan

Edited by Alan Adamson

I was afraid that would be the issue if it were a standard caliber and handgun. Ok, 115s are bad so I'll put a 124 gn bullet over my 8 grains of 7625 :face to palm: Point being, poor argument in my opinion.

Lol....I remember when we were running 115 gr bullets in 9x21 and .38 super at old major, usually power factoring around 180pf (thats around 1550fps)....granted everything in those days was pretty much 5.5" barrel with no ports and a big ass comp....

It's not really that the bullet is bad - it's just that, in a smaller case volume, and with a shorter barrel, you end up with a situation where driving that light bullet to major puts you into pretty high pressure territory...

I watched guys driving 115s to old major out of guns built on the first Tribrid barrels to come onto the market. They were using .38 Super... and a crap load of (I think) 540 (basically, HS-6). They were dropping primers out of cases, and the like. Very not safe surprise.gif You're probably not talking that kind of pressure - probably a good deal less. But, still, as Alan points out, in 9x19 high pressures can result in stuck cases, which is pretty fatal to your scores... Consider just not the optimal choice for the setup you have.

I agree with Alan, too, that the smith that built your gun knows what works with his setup - it's usually pretty wise to keep that in mind ;)

What builders told you this? Is the chamber in question 9mm or 38 super or...? Is it a 2011 platform?

Rather not say which builders, but they are well known . 9major and 2011

At least I know it's not my builder. I am running a 5" no holed 9MAJOR with 121's and 7.4 WAC @1.17. It seems pretty flat at about 184 PF. He thought I might be running a little hot. He suggested trying 115's and tweaking loads a little since I liked the feel.

Hello: I am wondering if the AET type barrels could cause the stuck cases? I know when I have roll sized the cases on my Case Pro you can feel the indents and when they are getting sized. With the added pressure of the 115's it may cause the stuck case. I have not had a problem shooting 115's with a 1/32 twist barrel :cheers: As for the wearing of the barrel I would think hot powders like 3N37 for 9mm may burn the barrel faster. Thanks, Eric

What builders told you this? Is the chamber in question 9mm or 38 super or...? Is it a 2011 platform?

Rather not say which builders, but they are well known . 9major and 2011

At least I know it's not my builder. I am running a 5" no holed 9MAJOR with 121's and 7.4 WAC @1.17. It seems pretty flat at about 184 PF. He thought I might be running a little hot. He suggested trying 115's and tweaking loads a little since I liked the feel.

And who is your builder? What barrel do you have in there? Have you run any 115's?

I ran 115s in a Super at 1575 back in the 175PF days.

I also refer to those days as my "young and stupid days".

115s were nice, but they were said to tear up steel and a lot of Match Directors wouldn't let you shoot 'em at their matches. And LOUD!!

I can't imagine doing it out of a 9Major gun, but we were running significantly higher than 175PF. With the lower PF and comps tuned for that, it might be do-able.

I ran 115's with HS-6 and range brass for a couple years

without a problem and know of a guy who reloads for many

other people and used the same combo for many years for

many 10,000's of rounds.

We've both since switched to WAC and 124's - little nicer.

Not much of a difference, but a little nicer - doesn't fill

the case to the top:) - and a little cheaper.

Few others are meeting in the middle and going to 121's.

Good luck,

Jack

I run 124 with auto comp I have not ttried 115 major loads but I feel very little difference in my minor steel loads. In fact I use 5.5 grains of autocomp behind a 124 Jhp and it is really nice steel load. The 115s felt no differant to me. Trubor bbl t-2 comp

Edited by Mat Price