Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My sweetie wants to get me an RF-100 for my upcoming birthday. Do these things really work as advertised? I have a pretty deluxe 650 set-up and we both shoot a lot so the volume is there...I guess I don't have one already because there is always something better to spend $300+ on like say 10k primers....but it is a PITA to fill primer tubes. Anyway, appreciate some feedback on the RF-100 from those that have one. Thanks!

My RF-100 puts 100 primers in the tube in 2 minutes while I continue pulling the handle of my XL650. It usually has 1 primer upside down for every 500 rounds I load. I don't think it's a must-have, but it makes the chores go a lot faster with minimal effort.

I put a smiley face sticker on mine to help me forget the $300.

I bought a used one, and added the variable frequency upgrade. It works very well, and, I don't get any flipped primers. It does take some attention, though, as primers can get hung up on one of the sorting arms and not go through. That might be because I have it adjusted in a way to have as few flipped as possible, and not for throughput.

It's not quiet, though.

I also made the cheap versions with a tube and a flip tray. It works very well, too, but requires constant attention. While they are neat to watch and use, they aren't really any faster than doing them by hand.

If I had to do it over, I would again do the Dillon.

If you load a lot of ammo, they're great. Slap in a box of primers, push the button and go pull the handle on your press 30 or 40 times while it loads the next tube for you. Parallel-processing at it's best! (unless you can recruit a minion to load tubes & such for you)

I'm not sure if SV's RF-100 works properly or not, but when I reload over there, it takes forever for it to load all of the primers. Maybe it's worn out from the gazillions of primers it's loaded :devil: With that said, I'd love to have one, because it would help me take advantage of my 650's awesomeness :cheers:

I'm not sure if SV's RF-100 works properly or not, but when I reload over there, it takes forever for it to load all of the primers. Maybe it's worn out from the gazillions of primers it's loaded :devil: With that said, I'd love to have one, because it would help me take advantage of my 650's awesomeness :cheers:

Next time your near the machine, see if it's got a rheostat on the the side. The older ones don't, and can be upgraded to the newer design. If it's not filling the tube in 2 minutes, it's not right.

Got one.

Love it.

Upside down primers piss me off.

Magtech and Wolf has a tendency to produce more than Winchester or Federal.

Mine runs great for 500 - 800 then I get 15 upside in a tube. I think it is associated with differences in the dimension of a certain box of 100 primers.

Got one in a package deal on a Super 1050, haven't given it a try I'm kinda up in the air if I'd rather have a RT1200 or the filler. Did pickup 1 of the fillers from CastBoolits before I got the RF100, and it seems to work just fine with my clear plastic tubes for small pistol primers

Edited by angus6

So get this, I was at the Monster Match in Frostproof, FL yesterday and one of the stage ROs had a few items out for sale....long story short, I picked up a used RF-100 w/both large & small conversions for $50! It was new in 02 so it does not have the rheostat. However, I am headed to Gunsite Acadamy next week - flying into Pheonix and I think I'm going to just bring it with me and drop off at Dillon for a referb and upgrade. It was a fun match and the nice score on the RF-100 made my day!

I spoke with Dillon customer service today and I will be dropping off the RF-100 on Friday. They will have it ready for me to pick-up when I leave a week later. I could have shipped it but I thought it would be fun to see their place. In any event, for the $30 price of the rheostat upgrade they will install the upgrade and go through the entire machine. Gotta love Dillon!

My sweetie wants to get me an RF-100 for my upcoming birthday. Do these things really work as advertised? I have a pretty deluxe 650 set-up and we both shoot a lot so the volume is there...I guess I don't have one already because there is always something better to spend $300+ on like say 10k primers....but it is a PITA to fill primer tubes. Anyway, appreciate some feedback on the RF-100 from those that have one. Thanks!

No offfense but do you need to be slapped, that sounds like a sweat gift and not something that you will never use. My wife and I are really big on getting each other gifts that we will actually get a lot of use out of. Which actually makes gift shopping a lot harder and makes you put more effort in. So if she is going to get it for you and you are going to get a lot os use out of it, then embrace the gift.B

M

Got one off a prize table. Best score I ever made. It loads the next round of primers while I crank out ammo. I have had maybe 5 upside down primers in 10s of thousands of loaded rounds loading Win and Feds. I do turn the speed down to the point that it takes almost the full 2 min to run the primers through. You turn it up to warp factor 10 and I think you will see more flipped.

No offfense but do you need to be slapped, that sounds like a sweat gift and not something that you will never use. My wife and I are really big on getting each other gifts that we will actually get a lot of use out of. Which actually makes gift shopping a lot harder and makes you put more effort in. So if she is going to get it for you and you are going to get a lot os use out of it, then embrace the gift.B

M

You aren't kidding - I am notoriously tough to shop for because if I want it, I probably already have it. She was with me when I snagged the used one at the match and her first thought was 'now what am I going to get you'. She enjoys shooting sports as much as I do and I am lucky to have her. Whatever it is will be awesome!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have only one problem with my RF-100. I just love watching the little buggers march up the ramp and fall into the filler tube instead of pulling the lever on the 65o.

:surprise:

Engineer here...ha ha, that's me too!!

Yeah I just picked one up used, and I make everyone who comes to my house watch it fill a tube. I'll put them from the tube back into the machine just so I can show them again. No one else seems nearly as interested as me, they all give me that "ya so..." look.

I got three of them, and use them all the time. One is set for large primers, two for small. The percentage of upside down primers varies from brand to brand and to batch to batch, but it is manageable - I collect them, pull the bullets and reuse the primers, so a bit annoying, but not such a big deal either. It is a bit noisy, when you have quiet background music playing, though! :)

I had to use mine Sunday when I needed more than the 12 tubes I had pre-filled. First time to pull the cover off in six months.

Using CCI 9mm I caught 2 flipped primers out of 200 as the rounds dropped into the tray (that I saw anyway). I run it slow enough that it occasionally does not drop all the primers in 2 minutes. I've tried adjusting it before. YMMV. :(

But it's still not for sale.

Ken