Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When not to listen to others!

lugnut

I hope I put this into the correct section....

I can't tell you how many times another shooter has told me they kicked ass on a particular stage. Now usually when this happens and I haven't shot that stage yet, I tend to put a lot of pressure on myself... often times only to find out that the other person really didn't even do so well! I've actually been told times from other shooters that were WRONG! I honestly don't think that this is done on purpose most of the time but I just don't know. Some of their times made me think... oh man- I wasn't close to his time! I'm F'd! Many times it's just BS and I won. It doesn't matter and shouldn't impact my plan or thoughts! Easier said than done.

Another thing I try to ignore is when someone comes off a stage that I haven't shot yet- and they say things like- "Damn that swinger was fast" or " that was a tough stage". Well it might be... but 9 out of 10 times it isn't as bad as the way it was portrayed... but now it's in my head.

Of course you have to filter these comments based on who you hear it from... but most of the time it's useless info and just screws you up.

My 2 cents.

I am with you on this thought; I would add a caveate, its depends on who is giving you the info, I routinely shoot matches with Ted Puente, who is one of my mentors and one of the best coaches in shooting sports; I will listen to him, because what he is doing, is trying to help me be a better shooter and do better overall. You have to really trust those people you keep around you during a match, thats big a part of this game.

Listen to others but take everything with a grain of salt. In the end you can only shoot a stage as good as YOU can. Who cares how someone else shot the stage.

Edited by MQW

I can't tell you how many times another shooter has told me they kicked ass on a particular stage. Now usually when this happens and I haven't shot that stage yet, I tend to put a lot of pressure on myself... often times only to find out that the other person really didn't even do so well! I've actually been told times from other shooters that were WRONG! I honestly don't think that this is done on purpose most of the time but I just don't know. Some of their times made me think... oh man- I wasn't close to his time! I'm F'd! Many times it's just BS and I won. It doesn't matter and shouldn't impact my plan or thoughts! Easier said than done.

Another thing I try to ignore is when someone comes off a stage that I haven't shot yet- and they say things like- "Damn that swinger was fast" or " that was a tough stage". Well it might be... but 9 out of 10 times it isn't as bad as the way it was portrayed... but now it's in my head.

Of course you have to filter these comments based on who you hear it from... but most of the time it's useless info and just screws you up.

My 2 cents.

I tend to not listen to supposed scores or others schemes to get through the course quicker.. Nearly all

of the shooters I shoot with (The gang from Savannah, GA.) have been doing this for 18 or more months longer

than I and are in a league of their own.. 'Several of my bud's are superb shooters of expert or master classification depending on IDPA or USPSA, etc..

I try to figure for myself what makes best sense & how I am most likely to get through a stage most comfortably,

but above all... I try to just have fun.. So many times I watch guys (and gal's..) get SO wound up and critical

of themselves that by the end of the match they are completely bummed or pissed off. Yuck.. Don't wanna go there.!

It DOES get frustrating upon occasion to hear that I've just gotten a time that's TWICE that of my bud's.. But.. I am

catchin' up quickly and THAT is a damned good feeling..! :cheers:

Edited by gunfixer

Two of my great shooting buddies (Coach and Jake) kinda took me under their wing and gave me a bunch of really great advice when I started shooting this game again with enthusiasm. Their advice took me from a low C to a mid B. I've gotten more competitive and started bumping against them in the scores.

Now I can't tell if their advice is still golden or they're trying to screw with me. :sight:

Edited by BillD

I am glad I read this post. I am new to the game and while passing friends on other squads I have made chit chat with them asking them about the stages they have completed and telling them about the ones I have done too. Usually I just say that they were fun but I am sure I have commented on some of the tricky things that were involved or say that they went smoother or rougher than I thought. Now that I am aware, I will watch what I say. I totally don't mean to throw anyone's game by saying that kind of thing. I know how it is to go through a shoot fighting those thoughts and I would NEVER want to cause anyone to go through that! It is hard enough to break down stages, keep focused, and keep cool under pressure without that added stress. Sorry to anyone that I have affected! :unsure:

There are two that always get me with this. 1 is if it is a stage that is giving people trouble, I get really stressed out seeing person after person go through making shot after shot at a particularly hard to hit steel plate, or others missing a hidden target over and over again. It makes me sad for them and it make me anxious. The second is if I am squaded with GMs or open shooters, and I hear their times. I know I will not get times close to theirs (as I am a newbie and I shoot production) but subconsciously I hear that time and become very focused on being in that ballpark. I wish I could filter all that out.

filtering out the negative thoughts comes with time. I've been competing a year now and I'm finally confident to the point that when others crash on a stage I'm cool with it and shoot my game my way. And I've learned to block out the negative and be as confident in my abilities as possible. This sport does wonders for self image and discipline and training

Sorry to anyone that I have affected! :unsure:THAT'S what's been throwing my shooting off lately! Gee thanks a lot! laugh.gif

There are two that always get me with this. 1 is if it is a stage that is giving people trouble, I get really stressed out seeing person after person go through making shot after shot at a particularly hard to hit steel plate, or others missing a hidden target over and over again. When I see this happen I make it a point to focus on those specific targets by doing a mini drive by walkthrough while moving down range to tape. I don't alter my plan at all because that will throw things way out of whack. But I let the simple no brainer targets take care of themselves and worry about the one or two you mentioned that are giving everybody trouble. It makes me sad for them surprise.gifYou seriously need to get that out of your head right now. I might say that I feel sorry for them but I'm actually just being polite. The only time I feel sorry for a shooter is if they get injured. The second is if I am squaded with GMs or open shooters, and I hear their times. I know I will not get times close to theirs (as I am a newbie and I shoot production) but subconsciously I hear that time and become very focused on being in that ballpark. I wish I could filter all that out. Turn your muffs off during that few seconds.

Sorry to anyone that I have affected! :unsure:THAT'S what's been throwing my shooting off lately! Gee thanks a lot! laugh.gif

There are two that always get me with this. 1 is if it is a stage that is giving people trouble, I get really stressed out seeing person after person go through making shot after shot at a particularly hard to hit steel plate, or others missing a hidden target over and over again. When I see this happen I make it a point to focus on those specific targets by doing a mini drive by walkthrough while moving down range to tape. I don't alter my plan at all because that will throw things way out of whack. But I let the simple no brainer targets take care of themselves and worry about the one or two you mentioned that are giving everybody trouble. It makes me sad for them surprise.gifYou seriously need to get that out of your head right now. I might say that I feel sorry for them but I'm actually just being polite. The only time I feel sorry for a shooter is if they get injured. The second is if I am squaded with GMs or open shooters, and I hear their times. I know I will not get times close to theirs (as I am a newbie and I shoot production) but subconsciously I hear that time and become very focused on being in that ballpark. I wish I could filter all that out. Turn your muffs off during that few seconds.

I will work on that! ^_^

Many shooting failures are rooted in doubt.

At times I have let listening to others introduce some doubt before a stage. Not good. :ph34r:

Believe in yourself! Think positively about what you are about to do and you will be unable to think negatively at the same time.

I just did 2 matches this weekend and I found the suggestions about turning off my muffs super helpful! There was a stage that I was first and then I had to reshoot. They put my name at the end and I had to wait through the whole squad. I just turned my muffs off and sat on the bench with my eyes closed while the others were shooting and then would get up to paste and reset the stage and then would go sit down again. I just thought about the sun on my face and how nice it was outside and by the time it was my turn, I was as calm as could be! I also turned them off and didn't watch while my squad was waiting for another squad to shoot a memory stage. I knew watching it would stress me out. I did the same thing the whole match the next day. It really helped to keep me focused on my performance only. I also made sure and only said "okay" when people asked me how the stages went, or said that they were fun. I didn't say anything good or bad. I found that really helped me not to think about past mistakes, so I could just move on!

My 2 cents.

I call this "planting the seed" and let it grow in your head. Its probably the most common head game. But at the same time, most people plant seeds in peoples heads with out meaning to. When you see the Super Squad shoot all the stages at nationals there is alot of mind games going on. You just need to laugh it off and just shoot your game.

I have a framed picture on the wall over the desk in my office picturing a man running down a desert like road alone that says:

"To truly become number one you must constantly strive to surpass yourself, not the competition"

I lived by that strategy and in my professional field was recognized as number 10 in the Country; not bad. The idea is if you're looking at the competition, they are the highest you will ever go and your eyes are off the superior goal; you want them watching you which will always be from behind you.

I also made sure and only said "okay" when people asked me how the stages went, or said that they were fun. I didn't say anything good or bad. I found that really helped me not to think about past mistakes, so I could just move on!

In business when something went really bad and someone asked how it went I said "Unbelievable" and left it at that. It was perfectly true and wasnt a downer to speak.

"To truly become number one you must constantly strive to surpass yourself, not the competition"

I learned all about that this weekend! :D I felt like I had a fair match. A couple stages that I could have done better but a few that I had stuff I was really proud of. I have been struggling with good mag changes, and I have practiced so much I am pretty sure I am wearing out my gun. At the match I had nice smooth mag changes on the run. Little things like that, were what I really felt great about. Until I saw the match results and saw that I only beat one person for overall scores. Then I felt like my match meant nothing and was a waste. After I cooled off about it I realized that my ranking wasn't important. I still did really well with the stuff I was proud of. I really had to look at it that this summer I had never done a mag change so I have really progressed despite the fact that I had not been higher in the rankings.

My 2 cents.

I call this "planting the seed" and let it grow in your head. Its probably the most common head game. But at the same time, most people plant seeds in peoples heads with out meaning to. When you see the Super Squad shoot all the stages at nationals there is alot of mind games going on. You just need to laugh it off and just shoot your game.

So true!!! Even the way they walk the stages, the way they dry fire is part of their mind games... Next thing you know when they shoot the stages it's way different from the way they acted or position when dry fired.

I guess I feel lucky in that regard, the comments of other shooters don't really put me off (unless they're in my face when I'm the next shooter and trying to clear my head). if I knew why they didn't bother me I be happy to tell, but I really don't have a clue.

The one thing that's tough for me is if a shooter directly before me shoots a stage very differently than my plan or I see something in their plan that I really like better than my own plan. Now that is something that tends to really get under my skin and it's hard to slough off. I think my issue relates though to the topic, you have to be able to shoot your own plan without letting others negatively influence you (even if they don't mean to).

Once you step up to the line you yourself KNOW whether or not you've prepared/practiced or you haven't...any last minute advice from the local know it all isn't going to magically give you abilities you didn't already have so tune them out and SHOOT!

If you don't do well...consider better/more preparation.

I had a buddy who refused to even speak to anyone at a match until the day was over.

He won a national sniper comp against LE snipers ,mil snipers , and even foreign snipers 'cos he stayed focused on his own stuff and didn't let anyone else inside his head.

He didn't even stay in the sponsoring hotel and aside from at the range no one even saw him that year. He told me later on he did that on purpose because he knew he just HAD to do that otherwise he wouldn't have won.

That worked for him...other guys can be Mr Social until their time to shoot, put the game face on and go shoot. When they clear and make safe their back to Mr Social....everyone's different.

I'm a combination of both I guess and that works for me alright. I try to have fun but at the same time I want to improve.

When I step up to the line the game face is on and I'm trying my hardest as if I had a chance to be the #1 guy. When the unload command comes its back to being my regular self.

Realize also there are a small # of people (thank God) who purposefully give out wrong information intending to watch you crash and burn.

Those guys are not many but they are out there. Knew one of them once. Don't associate with him anymore.

A friend said of him :"Its almost like it's not enough that XXX succeeds but that everyone else must fail while XXX succeeds."

Get your advice from trusted people but tune them out on match day and just go do your best.....and have fun!

JK

wait a second...this thread isnt spawned from the wrong time i gave on the all steel stage back in aug is it? hey, i really did have the L10 time mixed up with the Production. but if its gonna get in your head then im gonna find you talk about every stage, hey i need all the help i can get. :devil: