Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What replaces N320?

Artsville

Hey Guys,

I have done some homework. If you have another choice please post it. I like the heavier bullet faster powder thoughts.

This is what I need:

165 or 180gr plated or jacketed...no lead

Production firearm.... oal=1.130"

minor and major power factor

Solo 1000 is what I use for practice loads and local matches and I save N320 for majors. Solo feels close enough to N320; it has a little more recoil than N320, is about as clean. Dont care for Titegroup as I feel that it kicks more than N320 when loaded to the same pf. havent tried WST yet

For a 40 S&W your selection was a little limited for both major and minor loads so I chose other. I believe a powder selection should be tuned to the use and bullet. My Open load is a lot different than the Limited load and I have a 9MM minor load.

Ramshot Competition or American Select. Don't like Clays. Solo 1000 is a very good FAST powder. If you like WST or 231/HP38, try Zip.

Remember, very fast powders and very heavy bullets can easily be a recipe to have your gun disassemble itself on the firing line.

COL is determined by my gun and is not a number I pluck from others. Your gun will feed and shoot best with the proper COL.

I still see no advantage to plated bullets. They cost as much as Montana Gold and Precision Delta.

For .40 and .45, I only shoot cast lead. For various 9mm's and .38 Super, I only shoot jacketed bullets.

thnx guys......

i get xtreme plated very cheap....i save a nickel every round over montana gold. I don't see any issues with plated as of yet....maybe if i shot major with higher velocities.

The reason behind one powder is i load both minor and major all the time. I was hoping to use one powder. I load for an xd and cz so oal will be shorter. Anyone use solo 1000 for both minor and major or suggest other powders?

thnx

True Blue and Silhouette both list loads you are looking for. I have not tried them yet.

I'm not looking for just any load.....i really like the n320 setup but sometimes it is difficult to get...looking for a backup plan.

231 is the opposite as far as cleanliness of N320.....i have used it in 45acp....filthy....although if you can get the right velocity and get a good pressure it is slightly cleaner.

I've used both in 9mm, 45ACP and 38sp. I really can't say that the difference is that significant from my experience. Maybe I'm not that anal about having my guns clean. dry.gif

Honestly, your best bet is to just buy a couple/few 4# jugs of N320 when it's available ;) Given that each 4# bottle gives you somewhere near 7000 rounds, 16# of the stuff should last you quite a while! cheers.gif

But, out of those three you listed, I'd suggest Titegroup. I've never tried Solo 1000, but I probably would if I were shooting .40 and had a hard time finding N320, based on the reviews. There are other powders that work, of course, but they come with various caveats, some of which involve rapid disassembly of the firearm (for instance, the only blown cases I've seen locally involved WST... which seems to respond unfavorably to a rise in temperature... and just avoid Clays flat out for Major PF). 231 impresses me as overly harsh and definitely dirty. Universal Clays seemed about the same, to me, though some folks use that one, too. Haven't tried WSF, either...

I dont see why Solo1000 and titegroup both wouldnt work for Minor and Major.

Solo1000 and WST are temp sensitive which I'm trying to get away from but having a hard time finding something besides N320 for that attribute.

Maybe I'll try Ramshot next to test its temp stability.

American Select is a very good powder that has a similar burn rate to N320. I found it to be a little bit slower burning when I used it for 40. It is very clean but a little smokey like all flake powders tend to be. I have a friend using it for minor loads with 180gr jhp in his 40 Glock, he likes it and has tried many combinations. Am. Select is good for .40 minor/major, 9mm minor and in 12gauge for multi-gun.

Hope this helps.

EG

American Select is a very good powder that has a similar burn rate to N320. I found it to be a little bit slower burning when I used it for 40. It is very clean but a little smokey like all flake powders tend to be. I have a friend using it for minor loads with 180gr jhp in his 40 Glock, he likes it and has tried many combinations. Am. Select is good for .40 minor/major, 9mm minor and in 12gauge for multi-gun.

Hope this helps.

EG

how is the metering with a dillon press?

I dont see why Solo1000 and titegroup both wouldnt work for Minor and Major.

Solo1000 and WST are temp sensitive which I'm trying to get away from but having a hard time finding something besides N320 for that attribute.

Maybe I'll try Ramshot next to test its temp stability.

so solo1000 would work for both you think? I am in Cali bay area so my temp swings are not too bad at all.....so that might not be a huge issue for me....is solo reverse temp sensitive like WST?

WST is temp sensitive and in the reverse, but I think the sensitivity is over blown. UNLESS you are right on the line. I've chrono'd from 30 degrees to 100+ and yes I get some variation, but I also shoot to about 170PF. If you leave your ammo in the sun on a really hot 100 degree day you may have problems, but otherwise it's a non-issue as long as you're not flirting with disaster in the first place.

As to Solo 1K I believe it's a single base powder and N320 is too.