Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What replaces N320?

Artsville

American Select is a very good powder that has a similar burn rate to N320. I found it to be a little bit slower burning when I used it for 40. It is very clean but a little smokey like all flake powders tend to be. I have a friend using it for minor loads with 180gr jhp in his 40 Glock, he likes it and has tried many combinations. Am. Select is good for .40 minor/major, 9mm minor and in 12gauge for multi-gun.

Hope this helps.

EG

how is the metering with a dillon press?

Meters fine. With minor loads, the volume is still enough to throw good charges.

Anyone use solo 1000 for both minor and major or suggest other powders?

I like Solo 1000 for 40 Major loads but I have found that it's accuracy in Minor loads is less-than-stellar. I have tried is both with 165gr & 180gr bullets for Minor and had better results (accuracy wise) with Titegroup than I did with Solo 1000.

whats the deal with N320. i have to drive out to dallas just to find a vendor. havent seen it at a gun show in a very long time.

I have been using N320 for my Production load for a while but,to be honest with you, I don't find it to be "all that". What I like about it is that it burns amazingly clean and it meters well which produces very consistent chrono results with little temperature sensitivity. What I don't like about it is that it is twice the price of most every other powder available and this is only if you can find it. Accuracy wise, this is not the most accurate powder I have ever tried; that distinction goes to WSF.

I still have several pounds of it to burn through but, when it is gone I will not be purchasing it again. The price of this powder does not outweigh it's benefits.

Hello: I like Tite Group. It is cheap and you can find it :cheers: I have tried N320 and am wondering why people think it is the best? It does burn clean but I clean my pistols after each use anyways. It costs twice as much as Tite Group with no real benefit. I have tried Solo 1000 and it is like Tite Group but smokes a little less with Moly bullets. I want to try WST next. Thanks, Eric

In my G35(KKM barrel), WST felt almost identical to N320. As far as the temp sensitivity goes, my chrono readings haven't been all over the place or anything. I may drop the charge by a tenth of a grain or 2 in the dead of Texas winter, but that's not necessary. WST meters better than N320 in my 550b and believe it or not, it shot WAY cleaner. I'm running 4.5 grn under 180 grn bayou bullets and getting 930 fps with almost no smoke at all.

My back up powder is Titegroup. It feels a bit snappier and I can use only 4.3 to make major with jacketed bullets, so that would translate into probably 4.0 for these super slick bayou's. Both great powders and pretty consistent from batch to batch. I like the WST more because of the feel and the fact that it takes up plenty if case for a charge.

Edited by DoubleA

In my G35(KKM barrel), WST felt almost identical to N320. As far as the temp sensitivity goes, my chrono readings haven't been all over the place or anything. I may drop the charge by a tenth of a grain or 2 in the dead of Texas winter, but that's not necessary. WST meters better than N320 in my 550b and believe it or not, it shot WAY cleaner. I'm running 4.5 grn under 180 grn bayou bullets and getting 930 fps with almost no smoke at all.

My back up powder is Titegroup. It feels a bit snappier and I can use only 4.3 to make major with jacketed bullets, so that would translate into probably 4.0 for these super slick bayou's. Both great powders and pretty consistent from batch to batch. I like the WST more because of the feel and the fact that it takes up plenty if case for a charge.

Have you loaded minor with wst? also what oal?

I have run as low as 3.5 grn WST with MG 180's and it ran flawlessly. I did not get a chance to chrono those, but they knocked over steel and felt great to shoot. I ran probably 800 or so of this load without a hitch. I did not notice any unusual mess from

shooting it minor either so it checks out there. BTW I'm running a 13# spring in my G35 that has to be closer to 12# by now.

I keep my OAL at 1.130 in my glock since that is as long as I can make them and it run 100%.

I used to use True Blue. As I came to the end of my second 4lb jug I got a great deal on 12 lbs of Clays. I worked up a major load for my G35 using Precision 185 grains which is 4.0 grains at an OAL of 1.135. Drop it back to 3.3 grains and I have a load that comfortably will make minor. Do not intend to do any shooting minor so I will keep it at 4 grains. Clays like several other powders will always be available in 8lb containers due to its popularity with the shotgun crowd.

To me the big thing is to find a powder that will work for you and then stick with it long term. I have enough Clays to last for 20,000 plus rounds. As long as I keep things consistent I will build some great muscle memory for how the gun recoils and settles back into proper alignment. This leads to consistent splits which can only improve my overall HF.

Least recoil 180gr = N320. Slightly more recoil Clays.

4gr Clays, MG 180, OAL 1.145, range cases.

Guns Glock 40s w/KKM barrels.

Let me know when you blow that Glock up, too.... surprise.gif

i use 5.1grs of VV340 with a 180 grs bullet @ 1.135 coal good for just over 170PF, and 4.9grs as minor load.

i've tested the 5.1 load both on my chrony and the official chrony, i might try some load at max 5.2grs to see how it meters .pretty accurate load.

i have a good batch (8 pounds) of 320 left, but i keep it for my G17 production gun and various 9mm guns. i find VV340 great for my .40 tactical sport.

so far so good.

I have never understood the obsession with fast powers in the .40

My major load is a 200 gr bullet over N340.

Shoots good, feels good.

Slide cycle is snappy without being harsh.

I have tried Titegroup with 180s and 200s.

For me the felt recoil is noticably sharper.

Titegroup has been relegated to light bullets in minor.

Minor loads with N340 also work great but with lighter bullets in the 150-155 gr range.

I use a 180 gr. LRNFP (actually cast from a .38-40 bullet mold- still .401 diameter) with 4.3 grains of WST at a COL of 1.135. Soft shooting, and very clean, to me it hits that great balance between less recoil but enough to cycle the gun smoothly, knock down steel plates, and good accuracy as well.