Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want to try Revolver for USPSA

sbpt1911

Hi all,

I was at a recent match (shooting single stack) there was a young guy in my squad shooting revolver. I think I might have caught the bug ;) and would like to try Revolver in USPSA.

I have been searching and reading. I would like your opinions on which revolver, barrel length, caliber. I have a Ruger GP100 6" in .357. This is probably not the best choice? It seems that the Smith & Wesson model 625 is a popular choice? I see the JM model 4" barrel .45acp. I don't have any plans on shooting in IDPA, so would a longer barrel be better?

Thanks.

Making use of what you have can be a good thing, but... I like to win.

To be competitive you will want a moonclip revolver, and the 625 is king. I shoot a 625JM 4", but the consensus here seems to be that a 625PC (Performance Center) with a 5" (or longer) barrel is the way to go. Only 4" barrels are currently catalogued.

I just started shooting revolver this summer, and am having far more fun than I expected to. I was just going to get classified "C" and quit, to round out the 6 divisions, but now I find I don't want to quit just yet. Maybe after I make "A"... This is despite the fact that I am generally the only revolver shooter in our local club. I guess I'm saying try it, you'll like it. It's especially fun to beat Open shooters :P

Shoot your Ruger with speed loaders and see how it feels. Run what ya brung. Try it and then make your choice on what you want to shoot after trying it. The 625 is shot by the majority but there are other choices. 610, 686, GP100. Just pick what you like and run with it. Just try it you will like it.

If you have a 625 4inch, you could see if the factory or anyone else has a 5inch barrel.You could send the package to Mike Carmoney,a dealer in this forum, for a barrel & action job. You'll be very happy you did. I was.

Shoot the GP100, not a thing wrong with it. Look at the SL Variant Speedloaders. If you decide that revolver is for you, then you might want to start looking for a 625 or you might find that the GP100 is working well.

Making use of what you have can be a good thing, but... I like to win.

To be competitive you will want a moonclip revolver, and the 625 is king. I shoot a 625JM 4", but the consensus here seems to be that a 625PC (Performance Center) with a 5" (or longer) barrel is the way to go. Only 4" barrels are currently catalogued.

I just started shooting revolver this summer, and am having far more fun than I expected to. I was just going to get classified "C" and quit, to round out the 6 divisions, but now I find I don't want to quit just yet. Maybe after I make "A"... This is despite the fact that I am generally the only revolver shooter in our local club. I guess I'm saying try it, you'll like it. It's especially fun to beat Open shooters :P

Regular 5" 625 or a 25-2 if you go .45 acp. No advantage to Performance Center. I'd run what you have for a while and see if you like revolver division. Read the threads on minor vs. major. While the plurality is that you are giving up too much by not shooting major, there are reasons some shoot .38s

You can get that GP100 cut for moonclips for around $85, and you don't need to ship the gun - just the cylinder.

True---but then you have to buy moonclips. 45 clips are CHEAP. I've bought them for 30¢ per. 38/357/9mm/38 super

clips? Made of gold plated Latinum--and fragile as a butterfly's wing. Stay with the speedloaders for now. Heck,

you can even go play some ICORE, they have a division just for speedloader guns.

If you have a 625 4inch, you could see if the factory or anyone else has a 5inch barrel.You could send the package to Mike Carmoney,a dealer in this forum, for a barrel & action job. You'll be very happy you did. I was.

Thank you Pete, but I am out of the revolversmithing business, at least for now. See my dealer forum for more details.

You can get that GP100 cut for moonclips for around $85, and you don't need to ship the gun - just the cylinder.

True---but then you have to buy moonclips. 45 clips are CHEAP. I've bought them for 30¢ per. 38/357/9mm/38 super

clips? Made of gold plated Latinum--and fragile as a butterfly's wing. Stay with the speedloaders for now. Heck,

you can even go play some ICORE, they have a division just for speedloader guns.

Just offering some information...

Regular 5" 625 or a 25-2 if you go .45 acp. No advantage to Performance Center.

I thought the PC guns have a shorter cylinder, which makes the action smoother or trigger better or something. If you look at the catalog pictures, the PC definitely has a shorter cylinder than the JM. Interestingly, my JM has a slightly shorter cylinder than my .45 Colt 625MG.

I thought the PC guns have a shorter cylinder, which makes the action smoother or trigger better or something. If you look at the catalog pictures, the PC definitely has a shorter cylinder than the JM. Interestingly, my JM has a slightly shorter cylinder than my .45 Colt 625MG.

The cylinder is shorter. No real advantage to the action (it would be weight). No better accuracy. A .45 Colt cylinder probably should be longer. It is a longer cartridge.

Spend your money the way you want to.

Practice and most of all, have fun

Edited by underlug

McGivern always claimed the weight of the cylinder helped with speed from the flywheel effect of the cylinder. Which would mean the heavier the better, yet the idea behind the shorter cylinder is to reduce the amount of effort to start the rotation.

I've used a M29 and a PC625 extensively in USPSA and find no advantage to the shorter cylinder. If anything I've had better luck with standard 625's.

FWIW I'd recommend you don't pay extra for a PC625, but if it's a good timed/conditioned one I wouldn't pass on it. Just don't expect anything special from it.

Hi all,

I was at a recent match (shooting single stack) there was a young guy in my squad shooting revolver. I think I might have caught the bug ;) and would like to try Revolver in USPSA.

I have been searching and reading. I would like your opinions on which revolver, barrel length, caliber. I have a Ruger GP100 6" in .357. This is probably not the best choice? It seems that the Smith & Wesson model 625 is a popular choice? I see the JM model 4" barrel .45acp. I don't have any plans on shooting in IDPA, so would a longer barrel be better?

Thanks.

I would suggest that you use the GP-100 that you currently have to begin with. That will give you time to see how you like revolver division.

I started shooting revolver division using a Ruger Alaskan (2.5" barrel and my avatar photo :devil: ) loaded with .45 Colt, as I began sport shooting in cowboy action matches using .45 Colt and reloading that caliber. I did not want to start reloading another caliber, so I bought the Alaskan specifically because I could use that caliber. I currently participate in USPSA, IDPA, and Steel Challenge with the Alaskan. It is not the optimum revolver for competition, but I enjoy shooting it and use speedloaders. I did acquire a S&W 625 in .45 ACP, but found that I did not enjoy shooting it as much as the Alaskan.

To each their own. :D

Edited by Blueridge

I have a first generation PC 625 and two regular 5" 625s with Ti cyliders. I prefer the standard guns with the Ti cylinders the action feels smoother and faster with them. All 3 guns have action work by Mike Carmoney.

A Ti cylinder would be lighter than a short steel one. Maybe cylinder weight makes a difference for you.

I wonder if shorter cylinders are more accurate, due to a shorter bullet jump to the rifling. Probably not enough to make a difference.

Several years ago my open gun was stolen and while waiting for a new one, I still wanted to shoot. So I broke out the S&W K frame and got the speed loaders & such together and shot.

Taran Butler would call me "Dirty Harry". I was the only one shooting a revo but I did not care.

If you have a GP100, I say shoot it. You will find out very quickly if it is for you.

I have a first generation PC 625 and two regular 5" 625s with Ti cyliders. I prefer the standard guns with the Ti cylinders the action feels smoother and faster with them. All 3 guns have action work by Mike Carmoney.

A Ti cylinder would be lighter than a short steel one. Maybe cylinder weight makes a difference for you.

I wonder if shorter cylinders are more accurate, due to a shorter bullet jump to the rifling. Probably not enough to make a difference.

I shoot .40 S&W in my 610's. That has a huge bullet jump. But they will dang near put the bullets in a raged hole at 40yrds. Cylinder length does not mean good or bad accuracy. Heck I have a Savage .223 that has the throat burned out for over 1.5 inchs and will still shoot 3/4" groops at 200yrds. Just have to find the right combo of bullets and powder.

Thank you Pete, but I am out of the revolversmithing business, at least for now. See my dealer forum for more details.

[crying]

Darn. I have a 625 I was going to send you later this year...

• 2 weeks later...

Why is the 625 still King? Other than availability it looks like the 610 would be easier to shoot and cheaper to boot.

How about a 25 in 45acp, what disadvantage does it have especially in the longer barreled variations?

Trying to learn as much as I can before I jump in.

I have a very nice 610 and rarely shoot it in a match. There are not as many 610s available compared to the 625s. As to the Model 25 there were some accuracy problems and I believe a problem with the chambers if I remember correctly. Somebody like Mike Carmoney could give you all of the info on the 25s. In my case I could never come up with a load for the 40 that felt as soft as the 45 loaded with Clays powder.

Why is the 625 still King? Other than availability it looks like the 610 would be easier to shoot and cheaper to boot.

How about a 25 in 45acp, what disadvantage does it have especially in the longer barreled variations?

Trying to learn as much as I can before I jump in.

My $.02. Anyone who is everyone, will use a 625/25 S&W for USPSA/IPSC competition. With the 625 a 5" is the best, a 25 the 6 1/2 is best. Some think that the 25 has accuracy issues with cast bullets, but I have not found that to be the case (could be I am not that accurate to start with). I have two of each and would not hesitate to use any of them for competition or if a life was on the line. They both balance really well, and are very adaptable to action jobs. That is the key. A good action job that is as smooth as you can get it, and still be reliable. Most times that involves using Federal primers seated below flush, but the key is SMOOTH. Light is great, but smooth is what counts. I have one 25 that is a good two pounds heavier than any of the others, but it is as smooth as glass and will break anything but CCI primers. If you can find any of these, jump on it and until then run what you brung. Wheel-gun is the best way to go.

Hope this helps.

When I first started I was shooting single stack then switched to revolver. Making the switch to revolver made me a better shooter in terms of accuracy and how I planned to shoot each COF. Seems that knowing you have only 6 rounds for each load forces you to make each shot count and to do that requires planning and accuracy. In other words semi's allow you to become lazy and sloppy. Revolvers on the other hand make you work for it and that work makes you a better shooter.

Your GP100 is a fine weapon so shoot it. No reason to change it out but if you do let me add my $0.02 in support of the S&W 25-2. A mighty fine weapon in my opinion.

With my S&W 25-2 this granny can shoot 2A all day long, knock over steel and play golf with it if need be. Oh well off to the range for practice as I have 2 matches this weekend. So have fun with your revolver.