Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does anyone shoot a 6" gun out of a Kydex holster?

beltjones

I don't like the tension of Bladetech's. I use a CompTac made for a 5" Edge. I put a few layers of masking tape on the slide, heat the end of the holster and push it through. Only about .5" of muzzle protrudes through. I don't really care for the DOH part either. I run my limited gun in the same place as my production and single stack holsters. Steel1212 and I both hit .69 draws from kydex on the same night. I like the comfort of knowing it's not ever going to fall out.

Almost all the 3-gunner's use a blade-tek DOH for our guns & uspsa & does not slow anyone down.

I agree! I use a bladetech doh holster also, and I don't seen any speed difference between the bladetech and the crspeed. Only reason I would use a speed type holster is for open, where there is a scope mount, and even then it would be setup just like my kydex holster.

Hello: I have a DOH holster and a DAA Racemaster. The Racemaster is very secure and works great. I still feel the DOH holster is faster for me to draw from. I think it is in my head but I just draw more aggressively from a standard type holster than the race holsters. I want to try the Ready tactical holster from Chris Patty next for my Production and limited pistols. You can find the Blade Tech holsters from Shooters Connection and Sean at Power Factor Shooting :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

Almost all the 3-gunner's use a blade-tek DOH for our guns & uspsa & does not slow anyone down.

+1 95%

If I was to shoot just a steel match with my limited 6" I would most likely use my race rig that I have 10 years practice with.

At my club steel matches I use the Balde-tec.

I have the RaceMaster and a DOH. I've been using the DOH for the last 2 years since I was MD and didn't want my pretty guns getting banged up.

I bought the RM after I stepped down as RM and have been using it a lot. Its definitely faster on the clock. I've shaved a SOLID .15 off my draw.... but except for classifiers, who cares?

I'm back in the bikini holster b/c my guns are too cool to hide. The DOH did it all well. The only thing I changed was I added a knob to the top screw so I could adjust tension.

In Steel matches, or stand and shoot classifiers the race holsters have an advantage. How many of those are in a 12 stage major match? 2 or 3? So for 9, 10 out 12 stages the draw usually does not matter (draw while moving to first position, draw off table, unloaded starts, weird positions, etc). And for those who practice it, the draw is still sub second, or maybe 1.2 being deliberate, out of kydex.

So I can pick up .15 per draw, or a total of .3 or .45 seconds in a 12 stage match using a race holster? I'd rather work on my transitions or movement skills.

I think of it more like lingerie for my guns rather than being snobbish. Why hide a masterpiece with kydex? I did that for 2 years as match director. Now it's time to let it see some sunshine.

Have a Kydex for mine. I had considered a race holster but will probibally just stay with the Kydex. For me the Kydex just feels more secure and I dont have to worry about locking it for weird start positions. I just dont feel comfortable laying down with an unlocked gun even in the "secure" raceholsters without the lock on when a little slip and Im done for the day. Same goes for the movement in 3 gun. For steel only it might make a difference where it is only unlocked for a brief moment. For other stuff 3 gun in paticular where there can be alot of movement with the gun in the holster the benefit isnt worth the risk

Manny Bragg has won a bunch of matches using a Kydex holster. I have a Race Master, Ghost and DOH Kydex, I feel like I get a perfect grip drawing from the Kydex compared to the race holsters. I use the Kydex for Limited and the race holsters for Open.