Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you like the new finish on your Glocks?

Xander

The newer batches that has the made in Austria markings has the newer dull gray finish unlike the slick shiny Tenifer finish on the typical Gen 3 models. I do find the Tenifer tougher but quite slippery, but the new finish is more prone to scratches, nicks and burrs but add more grip. Which one do you prefer most?

There are some people, myself included that seem to think that the newer finish wears EXTREMELY well.

I have a Gen 4 G19 that has seen several thousand presentations, been thrown into sand, dirt, gravel etc and still has zero scratches. At 8k rounds there is barely any wear on the hood or on the muzzle end.

I dig it.

My experience is the opposite of magsz, my gen 4 35 started showing holster wear in a matter of days and the muzzle end of the gun had zero finish remaining after a couple of months. I removed a lot of the rest of the finish and polished the slide it looks like black Chrome. The slide has a recall on it so soon I will be getting a new one to wear the finish off of.

The black/blackish-grey older finish was simply parkerizing. I haven't seen the newer finish, yet, but park can also be grey-ish in color, so it could just be a different version of the same beast. As I've understood it for a while (as described to me by guys that worked at Glock in Smyrna), the just park over the top of the tenifer treatment to give it some kind of a dull finish. I would doubt that they stopped doing tenifer on the new ones - and the tenifer won't wear off, as it's part of the metal, now...

my older Gen 2 guns had the dull finish and my newer Gen 3s have the slicker finish and now my Gen4 34 has the duller finish again. I much prefer the duller finish. I have to put grip tape on the rear of the Gen3 guns so I can get a good grip, but not so on the dull finished guns. Both finishes seem to wear with holster use and I find that perfectly ok. the tenifer is impregnated into the steel and has no effect on the finish you actually see,that is why you will not get rust on the shiney parts of the slide. glocks just seem to look right with the dull finish to me.

There are some people, myself included that seem to think that the newer finish wears EXTREMELY well.

I have a Gen 4 G19 that has seen several thousand presentations, been thrown into sand, dirt, gravel etc and still has zero scratches. At 8k rounds there is barely any wear on the hood or on the muzzle end.

I dig it.

I agree with this. Neither the barrel or the slide of my gen 4 is showing any wear. This is just my personal experience.

I have two gen 3 guns, G19 and G34. I have one gen 4, G26. The G26 had rust on the left side from carry(IWB) within 6 months. I'll admit I never did anything to prevent it, but I carried my G19 for over a year the same way/same holster without any such issue. I dont like the look of the new finish either. The G26 will be getting Duracoated this winter.

Today at the gun store I held a new Glock 17 Gen 3. I've been thinking about switching from an XDM to a Glock for this game. My carry gun is usually a G19. I noticed that the finish seemed a little crappy. It was missing that slick shiny Tenifer finish. How could they? Glock has (had) the best finish of any stock gun on the market IMHO. What a bunch of retards. First they jack up the spring system on the Gen 4, and now this. The best is going down hill!

Edited by Red Ryder

Merged with an already existent, and currently active, thread on this topic - which was only the second topic down on the first page, actually. You might want to put some effort into searching before posting a "new" topic. ;)

I read the previously posted topic. I didn't care for the "new finish is better" tone. So I decided to start a different topic with the "new finish sucks ALOT" tone. You merged it. That's ok. You have that power. I don't like it, but what can I do about it? Nothing. It's no big deal but you shouldn't automatically assume that I was stupid and failed to "search", or read the current thread.

:ph34r:

Edited by Red Ryder

Merged with an already existent, and currently active, thread on this topic - which was only the second topic down on the first page, actually. You might want to put some effort into searching before posting a "new" topic. ;)

I read the previously posted topic. I didn't care for the "new finish is better" tone. So I decided to start a different topic with the "new finish sucks ALOT" tone. You merged it. That's ok. You have that power. I don't like it, but what can I do about it? Nothing. It's no big deal but you shouldn't automatically assume that I was stupid and failed to "search", or read the current thread.

:ph34r:

So...you mentioned you held a generation 3 gun at the gun store and the finish "felt bad".

What else are you basing your statements on?

Those of us with Glocks that have all THREE finishes are the ones that should be commenting.

My Gen 4 is wearing like my Gen 2's with the matte finish, ie extremely well.

All in all, they're wearing about the same as my buddies gen 3 with the slick/shiny finish.

Guys, let's cool the commentary on what other members should and shouldn't be thinking. This would be a good time to reread the Forum Guidelines, specifically this part:

Attitude

Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful.

On BrianEnos.com we don't engage in back-and-forth exchanges where we tell each other what we "should" be thinking, or what the other person should or shouldn't be saying. The "what you did was rude, no, what you did was MORE rude" game is one we simply don't play here. If there does need to be correction of a member's behavior, then a moderator will do it via PM, in private. Thanks.