Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classification disappointment

dskinsler83

Don't sweat it. A lot of people start as C's or D's. The first one is harder because it counts your really low scores as well. The trick to making B is just getting your points. I know the thing that has been told to me many times was don't sweat the classification and just shoot your match.

That tells me that you have a very positive "self" image, which is a great thing. Now, do everything within your power to not be disappointed or negative and let it fuel your training/motivation......In turn, you will continue to improve :cheers:

Edited by SV-COP

I started shooting USPSA this year(April) first classification was D, then I made C, shot 2 at B level and blew the last one. I may not make my goal of reaching B in my first year, but with out setting that goal I would still be D I think. Besides, classifiers are just another stage.

I started shooting USPSA this year(April) first classification was D, then I made C, shot 2 at B level and blew the last one. I may not make my goal of reaching B in my first year, but with out setting that goal I would still be D I think. Besides, classifiers are just another stage.

I personally disagree...classifiers and classification is how we measure ourselves to the rest of our piers...thus the whole diappointment because I know I am B shooter capable already just my first few scores were crap lol

Got my first classification too, C 45.96% in SS. First USPSA match was in June. That classifier really sucked and that really kill it for me. Now I've got to clean up the dumb mistakes and shoot my A's a little quicker so I can make B.

I personally disagree...classifiers and classification is how we measure ourselves to the rest of our piers...thus the whole diappointment because I know I am B shooter capable already just my first few scores were crap lol

Personally, I disagree with your thinking. My match performance is much more important than my current classification. IOW, I wouldn't care if I was a "C" class shooter if I was placing above all of the B's and A's at matches....

Personally, I disagree with your thinking. My match performance is much more important than my current classification. IOW, I wouldn't care if I was a "C" class shooter if I was placing above all of the B's and A's at matches....

I think there's a push to try to grandbag quite a bit in this game. On my best day, I can be very competitive in my class, but a few mistakes make that performance disappear pretty quickly.

Newbs are bound to make way more mistakes than experienced shooters. Classifiers, if anything, might put them ABOVE their actual level, since the skills necessary to classify are far different than the skills to break down and win a bunch of long field courses in a major match.

I agree with you in the sense that overall match performance is what matters. I'd even go as far to say that looking at individual stages, where you felt your run was "average" rather than "spectacular" probably tell you more about where you're at than any classifier.

+1 on this. I pushed hard to make C. It was a challenge and I practiced and made C. It was rewarding but now I can shoot classifiers well but can't win my class to save my soul. Now it's time to forget about the "C" label, learn stage analysis and planing, movement and everything it takes to win.

Actually, it's 2 different games. Classifier progression and match performance. It's all supposed to be fun, so play whatever game that "floats your boat".

I understand your point, but I(personally) base my progression on match results, not just "ripping" on one single stage. Good example is that I can perform to B level on classifiers, but my field course planning is(I feel)lacking compared to my competition in Production. This is why I will be running Limited-minor for a few matches with big mags and my Production gun, just to make sure its planning not shooting thats my downfall.

I agree with Trace. Its ALL about finishes on game day. IMO classifiers aren't much of a measuring stick.

Winning 1st C at a major match isn't winning at all... its finishing 89th out of 125. Shoot it all to the best of your ability.

Ok this seems slightly off kilter here lol...all I'm saying is I'm disappointed in my C is all and venting. I do feel that being classified is important but that's just me. I also agree that finishing well overall is important too because trust me....I try like hell to beat everyone lol

I've been in your exact shoes. I showed up to my first match and shot a 60% score. Took me 7 matches to even get back to that point, because I started hosing them trying to get the highest score possible. Started out as a C but I could have easily been shooting B class scores for that time if I just used my vision instead of blasting away at brown. I'm still having that problem. Shoot points, the speed will take care of itself if you've practiced enough. But you can't get anywhere without being accurate, it's the ultimate fundamental. There's a reason why people harp on this so much on this forum... trust me, I'm just figuring it out too ;)

And stop caring about how well you do on classifiers. You'll never shoot them well while putting that amount of pressure on yourself. All of my good scores came when I just shot.

Good luck.

Depending on the classifiers and the division, the HHFs for the classifiers you shot could be totally out of whack. A ton of the HHFs for classifiers in Production were swagged based on Limited classifiers, and they are either really easy or totally impossible. Overtime it all evens out, but especially with a small sample size, you may have actually turned in decent performances on really difficult classifiers. Simply put: don't sweat it. Just keep shooting and adjusting to the brilliant game of USPSA.

I started as a c shooter 2 years ago (I was not happy about this I thought I was at least a B).

I'm now shooting A class and I feel I could make master easily (which im avoiding).

One thing I picked up in this two short years, is that paper classifications are useless and meaningless.

They don't really tell you much about your skill or the skill of those around you..

What is a b class shooter? what is an a class shooter? What does that even mean?

I thnk it means nothing... Just shoot... Let the classification come to you. Just focus on beating everyone around you regardless of class..

Don't look at class as a badge of honor.. Doing so will only keep you from shooting at your current potential.

Good luck :)

Edited by carlosa