Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spiral Fluting

Shawneeboy87

• 2 years later...

Not only does it look cool, it offers more surface area for cooling, it stiffens the barrel, has weight reduction.

These are my 2 rifles. A C14 Timberwolf sniper rifle in .338LM and a Coyote in.308Win.

HPIM1309.jpg

I pondered a spiral flute when Matt built my gun but to be honest it is almost invisible to me when the slide is closed so it was not worth it for the cool factor.

Not only does it look cool, it offers more surface area for cooling, it stiffens the barrel, has weight reduction.

Wrong. It does not stiffen the barrel because it removes material. Any time you remove material, you remove rigidity. It would add rigidity if you ADDED the flutes, but since you start with a larger diameter barrel and REMOVE metal to creat the flutes, you have weakened it. Marginally, maybe, but it's still weaker.

As for the cooling, it does cool faster but not because of surface area. It cools because at the bottom of the flute the heat has less metal to move through before it can radiate to the outside air. It still cools slower than a smaller-diameter barrel. A smaller diameter barrel would actually cool faster.

Wrong. It does not stiffen the barrel because it removes material. Any time you remove material, you remove rigidity. It would add rigidity if you ADDED the flutes, but since you start with a larger diameter barrel and REMOVE metal to creat the flutes, you have weakened it. Marginally, maybe, but it's still weaker.

As for the cooling, it does cool faster but not because of surface area. It cools because at the bottom of the flute the heat has less metal to move through before it can radiate to the outside air. It still cools slower than a smaller-diameter barrel. A smaller diameter barrel would actually cool faster.

Bingo!

Slightly off topic but is it possible to spiral flute a hybrid barrel, but leave the rib un-altered? (IE. sight tracker barrel) I have a 5.4" sight tracker that is just slightly nose heavy, but i like the clean 15 lpi on the top of the rib/slide.