Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BRM3G 2012 -- Moving to the third weekend in October

Nice time of the year! Daylight could be a factor in October. I remember shooting this match 2 years ago and finishing the .338 Lapua stage in the dark. (Have it on tape too) I am sure Andy will take all this into consideration when setting up the match and stages.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, day length is going to cause some changes! We will have 2.5 hours less daylight, so stages will have to be shortened as will the maximum time allowed per shooter (probably going from 240 to 180 seconds). The flavor of the match will not change. Another option would be to go to 9 stages instead of 10, with squads shooting 4-3-2 or 3-4-2 (stages/day) and a 200 second time out. Just thought of that and I kind of like it!

I had a question I was going to put out to the folks who actually have shot or plan to shoot the match, now I guess I have two!

1. Given that the flavor of the match will be maintained -- the technicality and physical challenges -- would you prefer a nine stage match with stages similar to past years, or a ten stage match with shorter stages?

2. Several matches run a Thursday to Saturday shooting schedule as opposed to Friday to Sunday, leaving Sunday open for travel and rest before getting back to work on Monday. This change is being considered, and our ROs favor it 2:1. Would you prefer to shoot Thurs-Sat or Fri-Sun?

I would appreciate your opinions. You can post here or shoot me an email at afh3g@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Andy

I plan to shoot this match in 2012. I like the idea of Thursday they Saturday so I can spend Saturday night in Nashville on the drive home. Not having shot the match I can't say what type of length would be better. I usually enjoy faster shooting over slower shooting.

Jesse,

Think along the lines of RM3G with an occasional obstacle. Only thing is, there is oxygen at Blue Ridge. :roflol:

I plan to shoot this match in 2012. I like the idea of Thursday they Saturday so I can spend Saturday night in Nashville on the drive home. Not having shot the match I can't say what type of length would be better. I usually enjoy faster shooting over slower shooting.

Jesse,

Think along the lines of RM3G with an occasional obstacle. Only thing is, there is oxygen at Blue Ridge. :roflol:

RM3G is awesome! It could be even faster shooting than that to please my trigger finger. Bring on the obstacles too! Run and gun = FUN!!!

Another consequence of going to 9 stages, and therefore 18 squads, is having an average of 1.5 more shooters/squad. That means 13 on each squad if the same number of shooters are allowed to participate in the match. Therefore, I have to schedule another 11 minutes of time per squad. 11min/squad X 6 squads/day = 66 more minutes/day for six squads to shoot. Looks like 3 stages each day for 3 days in order to make sure folks aren't shooting as it gets dark.

Awards would be around 8:00 on Saturday evening if all goes well.

Andy

Another consequence of going to 9 stages, and therefore 18 squads, is having an average of 1.5 more shooters/squad. That means 13 on each squad if the same number of shooters are allowed to participate in the match. Therefore, I have to schedule another 11 minutes of time per squad. 11min/squad X 6 squads/day = 66 more minutes/day for six squads to shoot. Looks like 3 stages each day for 3 days in order to make sure folks aren't shooting as it gets dark.

Andy

That sounds fine to me.

Andy

Andy,

As long as we know ahead of time about the evening awards (so we can budget time and resources), I see no problem. Hell, can you imagine the party at the Lodge that Saturday night after the awards are done?? :cheers:

Yes, day length is going to cause some changes! We will have 2.5 hours less daylight, so stages will have to be shortened as will the maximum time allowed per shooter (probably going from 240 to 180 seconds). The flavor of the match will not change. Another option would be to go to 9 stages instead of 10, with squads shooting 4-3-2 or 3-4-2 (stages/day) and a 200 second time out. Just thought of that and I kind of like it!

I had a question I was going to put out to the folks who actually have shot or plan to shoot the match, now I guess I have two!

1. Given that the flavor of the match will be maintained -- the technicality and physical challenges -- would you prefer a nine stage match with stages similar to past years, or a ten stage match with shorter stages?

2. Several matches run a Thursday to Saturday shooting schedule as opposed to Friday to Sunday, leaving Sunday open for travel and rest before getting back to work on Monday. This change is being considered, and our ROs favor it 2:1. Would you prefer to shoot Thurs-Sat or Fri-Sun?

I would appreciate your opinions. You can post here or shoot me an email at afh3g@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Andy

Andy, I hate to see you change the match at all! Also, the guys from Kentucky will tell you it is going to rain and have the opportunity for bad weather in October just as much as the Spring.

Thursday start is ok with me, nine big stages instead of 10 small ones

Albert, I checked the average rainfall/month. If I remember correctly, April 3.8 inches vrs. 3.2 in October. However, lots of Kentuckians have been telling me for the last 3 years that October is the month to use!! I keep hearing that there may be showers, but no deluges. Keep your fingers crossed and bring your rain gear anyway. I am hoping to have all the stages near good roads.

Pray for a dry week!

Andy

Fri-Sun. 9 longer stages instead of 10 short.

I am trying to think...how many stages did my time exceed 180 seconds last year? Stage 4 for sure.

3 stages a day for squads of 13-14 is doable.

The ROs, might be able to shoot the match in 1-1.5 days instead of 2 full days next year. This would give us some time to rest before the real work starts.