Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will web data update today?

bbbean

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually it is updated sometime EARLY in the morning, so if it hasn't done it by now it'll be tomorrow.

What a drag. A lot of us look forward to this one thing every month. I wish they would update AT LEAST twice per month.

I understand that they contact the candidates first, and the BOD...then the announcements go public.

I haven't heard anything yet (I'm running for Area 5 Director).

I think today (15th) was the first day they could possibly have any results. (Ballots due at the start of the month, then the 15th was the date to finalize the tally...or something like that)

Anybody know who won the election---guess---

If anything, maybe we will see a runoff election of the top 2 for Prez.... surprise.gif

I understand that they contact the candidates first, and the BOD...then the announcements go public.

I haven't heard anything yet (I'm running for Area 5 Director).

I think today (15th) was the first day they could possibly have any results. (Ballots due at the start of the month, then the 15th was the date to finalize the tally...or something like that)

Anybody know who won the election---guess---

If anything, maybe we will see a runoff election of the top 2 for Prez.... surprise.gif

Hurry up and wait---ho hum <_<

I see that it didn't update again today. It starts to concern me when it hasn't finished crunching numbers by the 15th.

It has happened before when the nationals or some other event was going on right around the time classifications normally get updated. What surprised me this time was that I thought they'd hustle to get classifications out before the Nats so that competitors were shooting in the proper class.

BB

I see that it didn't update again today. It starts to concern me when it hasn't finished crunching numbers by the 15th.

Its gotta be an input issue or something. If it's just a matter of the computer doing its thing it couldn't possibly go for multiple days. I've worked in IT doing database programming for a number of years and updating data of this sort of count shouldn't take more than a few minutes worth of actual computer number crunching.

I've worked in IT doing database programming for a number of years and updating data of this sort of count shouldn't take more than a few minutes worth of actual computer number crunching.

Agreed, we have millions of records in our databases that are updated *daily*. Not each record is changed, but many of them are. I am at a loss as to why our classification is only updated once per month, AT BEST!

I've worked in IT doing database programming for a number of years and updating data of this sort of count shouldn't take more than a few minutes worth of actual computer number crunching.

Agreed, we have millions of records in our databases that are updated *daily*. Not each record is changed, but many of them are. I am at a loss as to why our classification is only updated once per month, AT BEST!

Changing the update frequency is not output-neutral. If your classifications were recalculated after each score was uploaded, it would be easier to move up as you would not have time to sabotage yourself with one or more bad scores in the following weeks.

Now, that doesn't mean we shouldn't make the change, just that it has consequences other than "we get our updates sooner".

Spanky- Unfortunately, I think you're correct. I was really hoping they would get it done before the Nats. I shot a classifier match in 2 different divisions, a club match, and 2 L2 matches since the last update. I think I have 15 classifiers pending since the last update!

Spanky- Unfortunately, I think you're correct. I was really hoping they would get it done before the Nats. I shot a classifier match in 2 different divisions, a club match, and 2 L2 matches since the last update. I think I have 15 classifiers pending since the last update!

Seems there would have been a greater push to get the updates published BEFORE nationals to ensure everyone was shooting within their appropriate classes.

Just an observation - I'm not concerned personally about the update (a C shooter, and will probably always be a C shooter), but with updates that seem to be "when we get around to it", USPSA gives the impression they don't see the classification system as all that important.

Before the flames start, I am pretty sure they do think it important. But impressions matter and they should really keep to a schedule. In my opinion, FWIW...

Edited by NewColonial

Seems there would have been a greater push to get the updates published BEFORE nationals to ensure everyone was shooting within their appropriate classes.

You'd think.

I do think this might be time for the (at least) semi-annual push for electronically submitted classifiers to be updated more often than monthly. While I'm sure there are factors we're not aware of, it would seem that an awful lot of the process could be automated.

BB

So let's imagine you have to print 18 stage labels for maybe 550 competitors, and you want to demonstrate some of that efficiency everyone is always asking for. I imagine I'd have had them printed a couple of weeks ago.

If I then had the option of running an update that might change a portion of those, which I would then have to search through reams of printed labels to locate and replace, it's just entirely possible I would not run that update...

Having been there and done this more than a few times, I of course wouldn't reprint the labels. Instead, I would review with the competitor at check-in what his current class is in the system (which is what really matters), and also post a competitor list on the wailing wall for folks to check. So yes, if the September update were to come available today, I would run a classification update on the next nationals' match file.

O.K., but that could result in a competitor shooting an entire Area match on Friday, in B class, and then Saturday's update adds in a classifier submission that bumps him to A. Which class do we now use to to calculate his area match finish?

USPSA has a policy -- classifier results in by the 10th, will run in that month's update typically published by the 15th. USPSA also has a longstanding history, if the Nationals are starting around that timeframe, of running that month's update late, after the Nationals.....

There are practical and logistical reasons for that approach as well....